Sitka Thunderhead jacket.

bmf0713

WKR
Anyone own a Sitka thunderhead jacket and use it as outer layer jacket? I just bought one and haven't had a chance to use it yet. I was wondering about the breathability and warmth of it. I'm trying to lessen my pack/gear weight. Gonna be hunting Colorado in mid to late october. Was originally going to use my SKRE hardscrabble jacket and pack my cabelas space saver rainsuit. Bought the thunderhead because i wanted something a little more durable if i had to wear for mutiple days but its kinda heavy to pack for just in case.

Muleyslayer14

Lil-Rokslider
This is something I have been looking into, curious to hear people’s opinions. Makes sense in my head.

Gumbo

WKR
The big killer for me is that this jacket doesn't (or at least didn't) have pit zips, otherwise I would likely own one. Goretex just doesn't breathe that well and without pit zips to get air circulating it will get humid inside it. Although it reminds me of the old Cabelas MT050 jacket I used to have and liked a lot as a do all jacket, but the MT050 had pit zips. Personally I have a Kuiu Yukon that isn't as quiet but has pit zips and doesn't have the fuzzy outer layer which will absorb some moisture, although it is noisier. I use it as a do-all outer layer on trips when rain is more likely. On others where rain is less likely I bring my Dewpoint set, which is light and doesn't absorb moisture, but it is noisy. I guess given a choice, I prefer to not use raingear as an outer layer because of the breathability issue.

• Banned
OP
bmf0713

bmf0713

WKR
Yeah. It doesn't have the pit zips so that crossed my mind. Wasn't sure if it would be ok in the cooler weather. It has also crossed my mind just to get a ripstop poncho so then it will cover my pack and will double as a ground cover in my floorless tent. Just been throwing around a few ideas to cut weight. It also kind of depends on weather forecast but i'll probably have just in case rain gear no matter what.

Thunder head

Lil-Rokslider
Hey I didn't give them permission to name a jacket after me.

I think I deserve a free one!

I want the pit zips added too.

excaliber

WKR
I was really wanting to buy that Thunderhead jacket and use it as my outer layer. I didn't like the fact that it had no insulation. Pit zips would be nice but I don't hike in jackets as I get too hot regardless of temperature.
I was wanting to buy it and then be able to ditch my Cabelas packable rain jacket. That would have saved me some weight but I went with the Jetstream Jacket instead.
I know it's not waterproof like the Thunderhead but I think it fits into my system much better.

• Banned
OP
bmf0713

bmf0713

WKR
Yeah. I don’t usually hike in a jacket either. Was thinking with the right baselayer it might work as an outer layer. I have the SKRE Kanati hoody and harscrabble vest that I wear together and really like. I’ll pack a puffy too if it gets really cold. Also checked and my puffy does fit under the thunderhead jacket pretty good too.

Depending on activity, you may or may not need anything under the thunderhead to stay warm. If glassing or sitting, a puffy will likely be enough, when moving, you’ll probably be sweating in the thunderhead alone. I am figuring temps in the 50’s down to 30’s as after that it’s snow and you might not want the thunderhead then.
It’s a nice waterproof jacket with a great hood, but breathes terrible (as does any rain jacket) so it warms up quickly with body heat.
I sat at a football game this past fall in driving rain, no umbrella and jeans and a shirt under my thunderhead, temps were in the low 60’s high 50’s and I was never cold and stayed dry on top. I was getting extra doses of rain from all the umbrellas around me dumping waters right on me too. My pants were wet, my core wasn’t, and even being wet through the legs and feet I wasn’t cold a bit. I do tend to stay on the warmer side though.