Sitka Timberline Jacket Question

westdraw

FNG
I have read every thread I could find on the Timberline jacket as well as other hard shell jackets, Kuiu jackets, and the Jetstream. I was able to buy the Timberline jacket new from Scheels for $150 a few days ago.

I have the Cabela's Space Rain jacket which is fine for me needs. I question if it is redundant to have both the light rain jacket and the Timberline. I know different material and durability between both options. Will be used for backcountry bow hunting.

Just looking for opinions if my money would be better spent elsewhere and if I should return the Timberline.

Thanks for any input and happy holidays!

Kyle

My Timberline is always in my pack, primarily for wind protection. I only carry rain gear if there's a chance of rain...if so then I carry both. Two distinct applications.

The timberline jacket has worked great for me on September hunts with afternoon rain. I really do like the jacket and the wind protection it has but in saying that it's like the rest of the Sitka line. It's a system so it's better to have than to not and sometimes your pack might have to be a pound or so heavier to make sure your prepared.

armyjoe

Super Moderator
I use to carry my Timberline and a rain jacket but that stopped last year. I now use just a coyote brown arcteryx rain jacket and that's it. Absolutely no reason to use both. The rain jacket cuts wind as well as the timberline and is a rain jacket. So why carry both....
Just buy a good rain jacket and call it a day.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The jacket is not water proof but is just a high water resistance so I wouldn't run it in a rain forest but I like mine just fine in Colorado or Wyoming in elk season.

OP
westdraw

westdraw

FNG
Appreciate the feedback. Good info and thoughts on both ends. Think I will keep as it was a good deal.

Jimss

WKR
You didn't really mention where you hunt. Several days this summer while scouting sheep above treeline I had my Sitka jacket plus rain jacket on and still was pretty cold while glassing in the wind and rain. I always try to stay on the conservative side by being prepared for the worse. You'll likely live but be miserable if you don't have the proper clothes and gear in rough conditions. I always have a rain jacket in my pack on long scouting trips in the high alpine country during the summer here in Colo.

You didn't really mention where you hunt. Several days this summer while scouting sheep above treeline I had my Sitka jacket plus rain jacket on and still was pretty cold while glassing in the wind and rain. I always try to stay on the conservative side by being prepared for the worse. You'll likely live but be miserable if you don't have the proper clothes and gear in rough conditions. I always have a rain jacket in my pack on long scouting trips in the high alpine country during the summer here in Colo.

For wet & windy conditions like he mentions above I recommend a set of Kelvins (top & bottom) for long glassing sits. The kelvin pants zip on and off in seconds and when combined with a Kelvin hooded jacket, you will be quite comfortable.