Sitka Timberline pant knee pads

RangerWP

FNG
Just curious - who uses the knee pads in Sitka Timberline pants and who takes them out? I’ve been on the fence. They’re nice when you take a knee, but they’re bulky walking around and interfere with high gaiters. For a first ever CO elk hunt next season I’m back and forth between ditching the knee pads and keeping my OR Crocodiles or keeping the knee pads and getting lower gaiters. Looking for input from those who’ve been there and done that in that terrain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have both the timberlines and apex. Both have the optional knee pad pockets. I only used the knee pads for an archery pronghorn hunt. I was crawling on my hands and knees constantly. During muzzle-loader I backpacked in and was already bringing a glassing pad. I didn't bring them. For rifle seasons I didn't use them either. They bother me while hiking. Some guys love them. I'm also not the tallest guy, 5'7, and when I did use them on my pronghorn tag sometimes they didn't cover me entire knee.

go4thegusto

WKR
Classified Approved
I usually replace then factory kneepads in all brands of pants with a p[piece of neoprene from an old set of waders I cut up. Thin, flexible, but still cushion and insulate.

*zap*

WKR
I love kneepad pockets. Wear them everyday at work in combat pants (I am not military) and love to wear them for outdoor recreational activities.

Tenstrike

Lil-Rokslider
My intention was to take the pads out when I bought the pants, thinking they would bind or otherwise be uncomfortable. I was wrong, when walking I don't notice them but when I kneel down I notice them! They make all that time kneeling around a kill or low crawling pretty comfortable. It was a pleasant surprise.

OP
R

RangerWP

FNG
Does anybody that kept them in use high gaiters like the OR Crocs, or do you have another configuration that’s been more comfortable?

*zap*

WKR
If your wanting knee pads but have trouble with the pocket pads I have found that the arcteryx strap on pads over the baselayer work really well.

slowelk

WKR
I usually replace then factory kneepads in all brands of pants with a p[piece of neoprene from an old set of waders I cut up. Thin, flexible, but still cushion and insulate.

Agree. More functional, less bulk. 7mm neoprene is pretty easy to come by too if you don't have a set of waders to sacrifice.

OP
R

RangerWP

FNG
Tenstrike - that’s why I’ve kept mine in... until I wore them with gaiters and they started fighting.

Tman24

Lil-Rokslider
Does anybody that kept them in use high gaiters like the OR Crocs, or do you have another configuration that’s been more comfortable?

I use the knee pads with my OR Crocs. Just pull my pant leg up so the bottom of the pad is just above the top of the gaiter. Feels goofy for 5 minutes then don't even notice.

Stingray

Lil-Rokslider
It depends on the hunt. I’m 6’3 and they work fine when in. I run the thunderhead gator as it’s quiet. No issues with fit for me.

bruno59

WKR
I put on hundreds of miles last year with my timberlines and pnuma tenacity pants and used kenetrek and kuiu gaiters and had no problem with the knee pads they were a blessing when i killed my elk the last two years being by myself and kneeling down to cut them up it was nice on these 59 year old knees also getting in the back of the truck to sleep and moving around sleeping bags and pads has been great