SITKA USERS

Maus1322

FNG
Hey Members,

I am looking at getting a system through sitka and was looking for some insight. I will be hunting 4th season Elk in CO. I will be mainly day hunting for now. The weather can be unpredictable during 4th season and this is my 3rd one. I already have base layers. I am looking for ideas and this is currently what i plan on:

Base Layer: light and heavy of top and leggings (OWNED ALREADY)

MID layer: Kelvin Active Vest

Insulating Layer: Kelvin Active Hoodie

Outer Layer: Jet stream Jacket

A little more on the hunting style. We ride in on 4 wheelers each morning. Then we hike in further 2-3 miles and start glassing and running ridges until we find some animals. (totaling 6-9 miles a day) So the style of hunting is a stop and go style.

I hope you guys can help me pick out the widest amount of coverage. I have a Mystery Ranch Pintler so i do have good packability for day hunting.

Thanks for anyone willing to help me out. If you have more questions or need more information let me know!

carter33

WKR
What are you thinking for rain gear? Can still find some sales on stormfront. I would skip the jetstream jacket and wear a rain jacket if needed and also maybe go with a warmer puffy. Glassing in the wind on a ridge iv never tried one that was “too warm” especially if going into late season.

I would definitely go warmer on the puffy. Probably the Kelvin Lite since you’d be pairing it with the Kelvin Active vest but maybe even the new Kelvin Hoody. Obviously depends on if you run hot or cold.

PresTex

Lil-Rokslider
The kelvin active is very much an active piece of gear. I would go jacket or hoody then get a warmer insulating piece for when you’re static and need warmth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kotaman

WKR
I’m assuming you know the Kelvin Active Hoodie doesn’t have sleeves? I’d go Kelvin or Kelvin Lite for the “insulator”.

OP
M

Maus1322

FNG
I’m assuming you know the Kelvin Active Hoodie doesn’t have sleeves? I’d go Kelvin or Kelvin Lite for the “insulator”.
Thanks for the clarification. I do know that now that i look closer on Sitka's Website.

OP
M

Maus1322

FNG
I did manage to get ahold of SITKA today while on a break at work. I figured out that im leaning towards Kelvin Lite Hoody, Jetstream, Timberline Pants. My merino wool base layers should work. What would you guys use for the mid layer... The fanatic hoodie, Heavyweight hoody, or maybe the kelvin active vest?

Definitely go with the timberline pants. They and my jetstream jacket are workhorses for 3rd and 4th season in CO. Don’t forget gaiters as well. My mid layer is the heavyweight hoody, but it doesn’t get used much. A merino base layer and the jetstream work great for hiking. For a puffy I use the Kifaru LPP. It is warmer than the Sitka one IMO.

Jardo

WKR
I would get raingear and a puffy hoody and pants. Jet stream is a nice jacket but is no substitute for puffy insulation and won’t keep you dry if you get caught in a snow or rain storm.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tlkaetz

WKR
I would get the following:
Core Heavyweight Hoody
Kelvin Light Hoody
Cloudburst Jacket

OP
M

Maus1322

FNG
Ok Guys,

Thanks for the advice. TLKAETZ, the Core heavyweight is discontinued. What about the Heavyweight hoodie? Is this the same thing as what you're suggesting? Kelvin light is on my to get list. Do you guys think the Cloudburst is a better buy then the jetstream. All help and advice is greatly appreciated! Thank-you ALL!!!!!!!

Jardo

WKR
The jet stream is not waterproof. It’s more of a truck and camp coat... not a hiking coat.

I love my jet stream, but it stays in camp or in the truck when I’m hiking in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Opinions split on soft shells. I get a lot of mileage out of my jetstream and similar jackets but agree you are going to sweat in them if you are hiking hard and under a load. I picked up a mountain jacket and like it. I doesn’t have any insulation which makes it a bit more suited for active use but it doesn’t have a hood.

That kelvin active hoody is an odd bird. No lining. No sleeves. I would prefer the kelvin lite hoody as an insulating piece.

Elkhntr08

WKR
I went with the Kelvin, not the lite, and was glad I did this spring. Was toasty on the quad in and out. Might take a look at the Thunderhead jacket, I love mine. Is a warm layer and will keep you dry.

tlkaetz

WKR
Ok Guys,

Thanks for the advice. TLKAETZ, the Core heavyweight is discontinued. What about the Heavyweight hoodie? Is this the same thing as what you're suggesting? Kelvin light is on my to get list. Do you guys think the Cloudburst is a better buy then the jetstream. All help and advice is greatly appreciated! Thank-you ALL!!!!!!!
Yeah I'm suggesting the new Heavyweight Hoody. I just prefer a hardshell like the cloudburst over a softshell when backpacking. Weighs less and protects me from any bad weather.

LJ Buck

WKR
You won’t need rain gear that late and if you did then the Timberline jacket or Jet stream would work, it is very water resistant with the wind stopper and breathes better then a rain jacket.

Go Kelvin lite hoodie for a puffy especially if you have the vest. Both versatile pieces. Of course add the Heavy Weight Hoodie, best hoodie on market.

Timberline pants.

Don’t fall for all the rain gear hype if your only day hunting. All those I mention will keep u dry 95% of the time. I have been in serious rain wearing all the jackets I mention and they will do the job and drive extremely fast. Also I will use those other jackets more then a rain shell in a variety of situations.

OP
M

Maus1322

FNG
Well that sounds great everyone. Ok so here is the list of what i think i want after your guy's advice:

Base Layer: OWNED

Mid Layer: Heavyweight hoody

Insulating layer: Kelvin Lite hoody/Kelvin lite vest

Outer Shell: Jetstream/Cloudburst??

Pants: Timberline

Still uncertain which way im going to go with the outer shell... My day hikes are ALL day long. I am at 9500 ft + for the majority of the day and a minimum of 5-9 miles from the truck. (Some of that is travel on 4 wheelers) I also find myself packing a lot of meat out during my week. (Lucky so far and 10 man group) Any other input based off the provided information would be great. Thanks again

For day hunts, I have moved to running a jetstream or other soft shell and a rain poncho unless I have a high likelihood of rain. The gatewood cape of MLD pro pull double duty as a glassing shade, emergency shelter and heavy rain protection.

I pack rain gear if I think I am going to need it. Currently favor a set of cloudbursts but I don’t like to hike in the jacket unless it is needed. Just doesn’t breath well.

K_pem

WKR
Id advise getting a lighter weight gore windstopper layer either the Jetstream vest, mountain vest or mountain jacket. OR get the WS down hoody.