Sitka vs First lite

sfc2140

FNG
Forgive me if this is a duplicate i tried to do a search and didnt see anything on this but I am getting ready to purchase my clothing for upcoming midseason elk hunt in Idaho and was curious how the brands compared with each other:

Uncompahgre Puffy Insulated Jacket vs. Kelvin Lite Hoody
First Lite base layers vs Sitka's baselayers
Corrugate Guide Pant or Obsidian vs Mountain Pant
Halstead Fleech vs Traverse zip T

I know both are pretty good brands by all the treads on them but Since this is an pricey investment I want to make sure the one i go with lasts me a very long time. I was considering the Obsidian pants over the corrugate's but heard that they get destroyed much easier..If anyone can pass on their recommendations good or bad I would appreciate it.

Thanks
Joe

Here are my opinions after having extensive experience with both.

Unpronounceable hoody is warmer and cut bigger than the Sitka. Both are nice though.

First Lite makes much better base layers if merino is your thing. They can be fragile though... get the aerowool for more durability.

I like the mountain pant more than the corrugate guide pant. Fits me better. More durable. The obsidian is in a class of its own due to it being wool. I love it for early season/hot weather. Very versatile piece. If you want to save money, get the previous gen Kanab pants.

Both the halstead and traverse are great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
sfc2140

sfc2140

FNG
Here are my opinions after having extensive experience with both.

Unpronounceable hoody is warmer and cut bigger than the Sitka. Both are nice though.

First Lite makes much better base layers if merino is your thing. They can be fragile though... get the aerowool for more durability.

I like the mountain pant more than the corrugate guide pant. Fits me better. More durable. The obsidian is in a class of its own due to it being wool. I love it for early season/hot weather. Very versatile piece. If you want to save money, get the previous gen Kanab pants.

Both the halstead and traverse are great.

How is the mountain pant for keeping water out? Not looking for full waterproof but some resistance would be nice. On your opinion being in northern Idaho mid Oct do you think with a good layering system on that either one of the puffys will keep me warm enough? Or should I be looking for a heavier duty jacket?

Realistically how long can one really go in these clothes with out stinking to high heaven? I'm counting every ounce on my bag and can't afford 2sets of everything minus my underwear and socks of course.

MtnMuley

WKR
As stated above, FL has the nod for base layers and Sitka for pants. There's so many options from each company and so many variables to the conditions of the hunt, that I'd recommend a hands on approach before ordering the pants or jacket. Also, I try to stay away from KUIU for personal reasons, but I think there superdown hoodie is the best insulation puffy. Good luck.

OP
sfc2140

sfc2140

FNG
Unfortunately I'm in SAN Diego there are no retailers around me to my knowledge that carry either product. So I am unable to try the clothes out. I like the kuiu Puffy but I don't like mix matching clothing so I'm gonna pass on them

Forgive me if this is a duplicate i tried to do a search and didnt see anything on this but I am getting ready to purchase my clothing for upcoming midseason elk hunt in Idaho and was curious how the brands compared with each other:

Uncompahgre Puffy Insulated Jacket vs. Kelvin Lite Hoody
First Lite base layers vs Sitka's baselayers
Corrugate Guide Pant or Obsidian vs Mountain Pant
Halstead Fleech vs Traverse zip T

I know both are pretty good brands by all the treads on them but Since this is an pricey investment I want to make sure the one i go with lasts me a very long time. I was considering the Obsidian pants over the corrugate's but heard that they get destroyed much easier..If anyone can pass on their recommendations good or bad I would appreciate it.

Thanks
Joe

the merino bases by first lite are great and for next to skin sitka offers an option too
for touch pants the mountain or timberline serve people well
both companies have insulating jackets and wear that will be great for heat trapping just depends on how much insulation you want

we sale both and will be glad to help, we do ship for free and are running some pre season specials

you can pm us or email [email protected]

Both companies are great. Sitka is more of an athletic fit and FL is a little more baggy. FL has incredible base layers but I would give the nod to Sitka for outer layers/rain gear. It's a win/win with either of them!

Unfortunately I'm in SAN Diego there are no retailers around me to my knowledge that carry either product. So I am unable to try the clothes out. I like the kuiu Puffy but I don't like mix matching clothing so I'm gonna pass on them
That is unfortunate because you will be limited and unable to get the best system IMO.

First lite for merino is the best, I also really love the FL puffy, but you couldn't get me to wear their pants anymore. Their pants constantly change in fit from year to year, and I have shredded and blown out the crotch of MANY pairs. I also dont like their halstead at all. Its not terribly durable, expensive and for me didnt breath very well at all, especially compared to other grid fleece ive owned and used (patagonia R1, Sitka Heavyweight, and an arcteryx i cannot remember the name of)

Kuiu makes the best rain gear and pants in my opinion. The attack pants are still imo the best pants ever made, they are a touch warm for early archery, but for a midseason mountain elk hunt, I doubt there is a better pant. The Mountain pant from sitka is a good second choice though.

If your set on one camo then sitka is probably the best choice, as all around they make good stuff, baselayers, pants, mid layers, and outers. Their new traverse is great. its a nice napped fleece with a pretty durable exterior, I dont have enough time in it to say much more

If your really unwilling to mix camo, then get a bunch of stuff in solid colors, then you can get more use out of it if you dont like wearing camo around town.

OP
sfc2140

sfc2140

FNG
That is unfortunate because you will be limited and unable to get the best system IMO.

First lite for merino is the best, I also really love the FL puffy, but you couldn't get me to wear their pants anymore. Their pants constantly change in fit from year to year, and I have shredded and blown out the crotch of MANY pairs. I also dont like their halstead at all. Its not terribly durable, expensive and for me didnt breath very well at all, especially compared to other grid fleece ive owned and used (patagonia R1, Sitka Heavyweight, and an arcteryx i cannot remember the name of)

Kuiu makes the best rain gear and pants in my opinion. The attack pants are still imo the best pants ever made, they are a touch warm for early archery, but for a midseason mountain elk hunt, I doubt there is a better pant. The Mountain pant from sitka is a good second choice though.

If your set on one camo then sitka is probably the best choice, as all around they make good stuff, baselayers, pants, mid layers, and outers. Their new traverse is great. its a nice napped fleece with a pretty durable exterior, I dont have enough time in it to say much more

If your really unwilling to mix camo, then get a bunch of stuff in solid colors, then you can get more use out of it if you dont like wearing camo around town.

Thanks for your input. I like the Kuiu verde camo pattern the best and heard nothing but great things regarding their attack pants. How ever this is my first ever elk hunt and decided to do it alone DIY style. Learning as I go I needed to buy a ton of gear that I didn't have so I need to factor in cost into my equation and the Kuiu is just gonna cost me more money in the end. My next favorite camo pattern is the sitkas I think I will take your advice and get baselayers in solid colors and use Sitka as my outer layers

Jmock97

Lil-Rokslider
For base layers I prefer first lite merino for every thing else I prefer sitka
Sitka dealer in San Diego

Performance Archery
8665 Miralani Drive Ste 301
San Diego, CA 92126
(858) 653-5945

Nearest First Lite dealer is

Riverside Archery
1919 Atlas Drive
Riverside, CA 92501
United States
Apx distance: 89.91 mi
Tel: 951-684-9192

Trial153

WKR
of these two Sitka Gear hands down across the board. I have had way to many fit issues and durability issues with first lite products for me to consider them.

Thanks for your input. I like the Kuiu verde camo pattern the best and heard nothing but great things regarding their attack pants. How ever this is my first ever elk hunt and decided to do it alone DIY style. Learning as I go I needed to buy a ton of gear that I didn't have so I need to factor in cost into my equation and the Kuiu is just gonna cost me more money in the end. My next favorite camo pattern is the sitkas I think I will take your advice and get baselayers in solid colors and use Sitka as my outer layers

The attacks are going to be cheaper then any of the other pants you are looking at.

If your looking for a full kit and money is tight then quite honestly i would be looking at sierra trading post or backpacking.com, or campsaver as they are all running labor day sales.

Base layer: synthetics can be found stupid cheap pretty much everywhere. merino wool is going to be expensive. Ice breaker is having a sale but sizes are pretty limited.

Pant: I would still get the Attack pants, even if you wen solids as I believe they are the best PANT or anything made right now, hunting or otherwise. But if you want something less expensive look at the prana zion. lots of guys really love them. Access Denied

Mid layer: Sitka traverse. I would get the new one and get it from a rokslide sponsor like blackovis as they have 10% discount codes, i really like this piece. but again something like the patagonia R1 can be found cheaper in earth tones on the above mentioned sight, or you can grab a cheap fleece from cabelas as well. Cabela's Online Store - Quality Hunting, Fishing, Camping and Outdoor Gear

Insulation Access Denied
Cabela's Online Store - Quality Hunting, Fishing, Camping and Outdoor Gear

Rain jacket:Access Denied

You could very well HATE the trip and never want to do it again, so all this stuff can easily pull double duty as everyday wear. if you do love it you can upgrade slowly and i guarantee you will learn from your trip what you do and dont need, and purchase accordingly.

zrodwyo

Lil-Rokslider
I've owned two pairs of guide pants, Kanab 2.0, and Obsidians. All have had issues. The materials seems great but they basically fall apart at the seams. I would not recommend them for any active use. Honesty I'm surprised more guys aren't talking about this.

OP
sfc2140

sfc2140

FNG
The attacks are going to be cheaper then any of the other pants you are looking at.

If your looking for a full kit and money is tight then quite honestly i would be looking at sierra trading post or backpacking.com, or campsaver as they are all running labor day sales.

Base layer: synthetics can be found stupid cheap pretty much everywhere. merino wool is going to be expensive. Ice breaker is having a sale but sizes are pretty limited.

Pant: I would still get the Attack pants, even if you wen solids as I believe they are the best PANT or anything made right now, hunting or otherwise. But if you want something less expensive look at the prana zion. lots of guys really love them. Access Denied

Mid layer: Sitka traverse. I would get the new one and get it from a rokslide sponsor like blackovis as they have 10% discount codes, i really like this piece. but again something like the patagonia R1 can be found cheaper in earth tones on the above mentioned sight, or you can grab a cheap fleece from cabelas as well. Cabela's Online Store - Quality Hunting, Fishing, Camping and Outdoor Gear

Insulation Access Denied
Cabela's Online Store - Quality Hunting, Fishing, Camping and Outdoor Gear

Rain jacket:Access Denied

You could very well HATE the trip and never want to do it again, so all this stuff can easily pull double duty as everyday wear. if you do love it you can upgrade slowly and i guarantee you will learn from your trip what you do and dont need, and purchase accordingly.

I appreciate all your input. I got a smoking deal from Sitka from my military status and good % off everything. So I know retail they are more than kuiu and other companies but after my discount I got the Kelly lite, mountain pants traverse zip and a merino base layer long sleeve for a lot less$ Thanks to all the recommendations made from you guys.

I am truly greatful for companies that support military and its veterans the way they do. I think going off what you said I love hunting I general I go deer hunting every year, pig hunting and upland game hunting. I know this is just the beginning for me with elk. I have always wanted to go but never took the leap. This year I'm doing it. Costing a pretty penny but this will be a yearly tradition from here on out.

Last edited:

Trial153

WKR
Sitka Gear is top self company. Take a look the organizations they are supporting and tone/ themes of there films. Gives a good indication of their message and priorities.

elkduds

WKR
Or Costco merino blend base layers and their $20 down puffy. That frees up budget slack to go big on more specialized camo gear.

I appreciate all your input. I got a smoking deal from Sitka from my military status and got 50% off everything. So I know retail they are more than kuiu and other companies but after my discount I got the Kelly lite, mountain pants traverse zip and a merino base layer long sleeve for 380$ Thanks to all the recommendations made from you guys.

I am truly greatful for companies that support military and its veterans the way they do. I think going off what you said I love hunting I general I go deer hunting every year, pig hunting and upland game hunting. I know this is just the beginning for me with elk. I have always wanted to go but never took the leap. This year I'm doing it. Costing a pretty penny but this will be a yearly tradition from here on out.

Should have said that in the first place, 50% off Sitka. Thats the route to go for sure. Thank you for your service as well.

OP
sfc2140

sfc2140

FNG
Should have said that in the first place, 50% off Sitka. Thats the route to go for sure. Thank you for your service as well.

Yes but I had 35% off on first lite too which is why I was comparing those two together. Thanks