Sitka Whitetail Layer Feedback

I modified my original list below and saving my updates after field experience for posterity.

>50
Equinox pants
Core LS
Fanatic hoody

50-30 degrees:
Stratus jacket
Stratus pants
Celsius midi

*Edit: with a fanatic hoody and FL furnace bottoms the set up above got me to 40* comfortably. Once I hit a real feel of 34 with some wind I got colder than id like.

30-10 degrees:
Incinerator jacket
Fanatic Bibs
Celsius midi

Last edited:

aaron14

Lil-Rokslider
I own both the Stratus and Fanatic jacket and pants/bibs. If I had to choose between the Stratus or Fanatic jacket I would take the Fanatic every day. Unless you run really hot (I consider myself pretty average), the Fanatic will be comfortable up to 50. Add the Midi when highs get below 25 or so. My Stratus jacket probably gets more use in turkey season than whitetail. I like vests but owned the Fanatic Vest for a season and sold it a few years ago. When it's that cold I want the Fanatic insulation on my arms too. I'll also note that I rarely walk in wearing the Fanatic Jacket to keep from sweating.

As for bottoms, I'd say both the Stratus pants and Fanatic bibs get plenty of use. I'll wear the Stratus until highs get below 40-45 then go Fanatic. The Fanatic bibs are nice because they have full side zips to vent.

So basically for those temps, you would be pretty well set with the Fanatic jacket and bibs, Stratus pants, and Celsius Midi with the right base layers. Even the Midi would be optional as I opt for a vest (First Lite Uncompahgre) or Equinox Hoody under the Fanatic when the temps really dip. Honestly the Fanatic Jacket and Bibs are the best mid-late season whitetail set ever made.

Foreman05

FNG
I would do the stratus set Over the fanatic unless you have cash for both.

I would use LW base, fanatic hoody on the walk in. Once in tree or at the base add on the midi. Once I start to get chilled after an hour or so I’d add the stratus.

LW base, equinox pants on the walk in then stratus bibs at the bottom of the tree.

this is what I would wear 25 degrees + just mix and match as it gets warmer. I’d be ok for 3/4 hours with the last hour being Luke warm if you know what I mean.
My brother has the fanatic set and he can only wear it below 40. So not that cost effective unless you’re hunting cold weather a lot.

Last edited:

jd1006

WKR
I have the OG stratus set and the incinerator bibs. I’ve never once thought about getting the insulated jacket. The stratus is windproof and when combined with a puffy, its as good as the fantatic. I’m actually thinking about getting rid of the incinerator bibs, as I now have puffy pants that I can use underneath the stratus bibs. I’ve taken the stratus system under 0 degrees with the right layering below…heavy merino base, 90% pants and traverse top, puffy (i have kifaru LP pants and a SG Grumman Puffy) layer, and status jacket and bibs. The layer I’m looking at is the Fantatic hoody to replace the traverse top. If it rains, I’d replace the stratus with rain gear.

I find the incinerator line or fanatic line as an option for those hunters that aren’t going to layer and used to just have one set of bibs/jacket.

Castronova

Lil-Rokslider
I’d like to jump in here and ask for some advice on the same set-up.

I have the stratus bib and jacket with the fanatic hoody. I bought it for this season and have not worn it. I’m headed to NY in 8 days for the first leg of my trip and it’s showing, as of now, highs as high as 50 and lows as low as 34.

I also have more than a few marino bottom and tops in long and short sleeve as well as a peloton vest and UA fleece vest. I also have Kuiu superdown pants and a kryptek lykos II puffy.

I think I’d be fine adding the Kuiu pants under the bib. My concern is that Kryptek puffy is pretty large for a mid layer. Will I be fine with a merino base, attack pants, vest, fanatic hoody and stratus system down into the mid 30’s? Or should I be set on taking in my puffy layers? My other option would be to try and quickly find a Kuiu superdown or celcius midi. I’m really trying to not spend another $300 if possible considering all the different layers I have.

Foreman05

FNG
I think your question depends on your plan duration on the Deerstand with or without wind. I think you’ll be good with that set up for a few hours I’m guessing at our three in the mid 30s you will start cooling off pretty quick. I would pack you’re super down pants in your bag and maybe look for a puffy as well. I am not familiar with the kryptek systems on how big that puffy is.

OP
Kbhillhunter

I have the stratus bib and jacket with the fanatic hoody. I bought it for this season and have not worn it. I’m headed to NY in 8 days for the first leg of my trip and it’s showing, as of now, highs as high as 50 and lows as low as 34.

I also have more than a few marino bottom and tops in long and short sleeve as well as a peloton vest and UA fleece vest. I also have Kuiu superdown pants and a kryptek lykos II puffy.

I think I’d be fine adding the Kuiu pants under the bib. My concern is that Kryptek puffy is pretty large for a mid layer. Will I be fine with a merino base, attack pants, vest, fanatic hoody and stratus system down into the mid 30’s? Or should I be set on taking in my puffy layers? My other option would be to try and quickly find a Kuiu superdown or celcius midi. I’m really trying to not spend another $300 if possible considering all the different layers I have.

So far this season I've used the stratus jacket and pants in temps from 40-50. On the lower end I also had the fanatic hoody and midi jacket, and FL 250 merino LJs. Was very comfortable. I think I could have stretched that set up into the mid 30s, but I consider my self cold natured in static situations. With moderate hiking I was sweating pretty good.

I ended up springing for heavy bibs and a jacket for <30*. So I don't plan on trying to stretch the status set too much further.

OP
Kbhillhunter

Sat for 7 hours today in temps 35-40, wind peaked around 13mph, few short blasts of snow. Wore stratus jacket / pants, FL furnace bottoms, core LW shirt, fanatic hoody and Celsius midi up top. I must be cold natured because I was actually pretty cold after a while. I might consider 40 to be the bottom end of that set up for me personally. Most of the chill was in my torso but even my legs got a little cold towards the end.

Castronova

Lil-Rokslider
Sat for 7 hours today in temps 35-40, wind peaked around 13mph, few short blasts of snow. Wore stratus jacket / pants, FL furnace bottoms, core LW shirt, fanatic hoody and Celsius midi up top. I must be cold natured because I was actually pretty cold after a while. I might consider 40 to be the bottom end of that set up for me personally. Most of the chill was in my torso but even my legs got a little cold towards the end.
I’m heading to central NY this weekend. Looks like the lows will climb up a bit before I get there. I’ll have largely the same set-up as you, I went ahead and bit the bullet on the Celsius midi. I’ll also have a merino base top and puffy pants to add to it. I’m sure it will test me as I’m typing this from the southernmost point where I’ve spent the last 39 years. If I’m going to keep doing this every year I might have to start thinking fanatic outer for next season.

Foreman05

FNG
I wish they made an incinerator lite. I think that would put it around fanatic temps and price but without grandmas carpet on the outside. I’m not a fan of the fanatic exterior.

good luck in NY. Your setup with the mode should hold 30 but you will get chilly after a few hrs.

OP
Kbhillhunter
I wish they made an incinerator lite. I think that would put it around fanatic temps and price but without grandmas carpet on the outside. I’m not a fan of the fanatic exterior.

good luck in NY. Your setup with the mode should hold 30 but you will get chilly after a few hrs.
Agreed! The Berber and the zipper, no good

BigPrince

FNG
Have both Fanatic (2018 model) and Incinerator (2020 model) sets. I like the exterior of the Incinerator alot more than the Fanatic and it also packs down easier for carrying in. Only thing I found disappointing in the Incinerator is it's not much warmer than the fanatic to me. For <20 all day sits I layer core heavyweight merino base layers, Fanatic Hoody, Equinox Pant, Celsius Midi, and then the Incinerator Bibs/Jacket. Haven't used my Fanatic in awhile. The Fanatic zipper is weird but I do like the continuous hand pocket area. For the incinerator I just added a muff to the kit for hands.

Castronova

Lil-Rokslider
I should have came back and reported when this was more fresh in my memory but here's my experience.

My first day in NY was low to mid-20's. I wore merino base layers, Kuiu quick down puffy pants and Kryptek lykos II puffy under my stratus with Lacrosse 800's, long darn tough socks, fanatic hoodie and fanatic beanie. It was a little cumbersome but honestly not too bad. I hunted from the ground that day and most of the trip. I was perfectly warm sitting for 4 hours or so. My hands are usually my biggest problem.

The rest of the hunting was in the low 30's and 40's (hotter mid day) where I wore merino base layers as needed, celsius midi, fanatic hoodie, stratus beanie, and on a couple occasions I wore my Kuiu attack pants and threw on the stratus bibs when sitting then took them off when the day heated up or when I moved around and put them in my pack.

I have to say I was never cold. For someone who lives in the tropics I am completely happy with this set up for when and where I'm going to hunt. If I lived up north I would undoubtedly have some fanatic pieces for later season. The status system is some of the best purpose built gear I've ever bought for any hobby/sport. I'm really impressed.

i hunted in 16 defreea this winter in an exposed tree stand and found this combo kept me quite warm:
Base layer: elberstock net/another merino base
Mid: celcius midi pants
Outer: stratus bibs

Upper base: cabelas mid weight base
Mid: fanatic hoody
Outer: fanatic jacket

My feet got cold and my body never did. Quite comfortable and sun never hit me before i went in. Sat for about 2.5 hrs