Sitka WS Kelvin hoody

huntabsarokee...Thanks for the info. I was thinking this would be the perfect outer layer for bow hunting late season. I guess it's not. Now I'm wondering if other Kelvin would fit under my jetstream. That's what stinks about some of this gear. It's hard to look at and try without driving hours and hours.

jakelogsdon

Lil-Rokslider
That's a good idea. Very warm and quite. Just does not as pack down as easy.
The fanatic system doesn't pack down worth a crap. But what it lacks in packability it makes up for in warmth, and it's really easy to dawn while in a treestand. Jacket goes on over your fall protection harness and the bibs have zippers that run up the full length of your leg so you can get them on over any boots or heavy pants.

I will concur this isn’t a bow hunting piece. It isn’t crazy loud, but loud enough you wouldn’t really be able to move if deer were within 20 yards and more on a calm day. On a windy day, probably not a huge issue, but I would hate to have a piece I just use on windy days.

Having said that, if you are rifle hunting from a tree stand and deer are further than 40 yards, I could see the jacket being a really good piece for that application.

Regarding the Jetstream, I find it is quiet enough in a blind, and in a tree stand with a small amount of wind. In super calm days it is really hard to be quiet enough for now hunting. Impossible no, but it’s gonna be very slow movements. This of course will depend on your set up and your deer herd, but the Jetstream isn’t impossible to bow hunt wearing.

The fanatic system doesn't pack down worth a crap. But what it lacks in packability it makes up for in warmth, and it's really easy to dawn while in a treestand. Jacket goes on over your fall protection harness and the bibs have zippers that run up the full length of your leg so you can get them on over any boots or heavy pants.

My son uses a fanatic jacket and he exclusively uses a tree stand, he loves the jacket. Quiet enough, warm, and he hunted in some crap weather this season. There was one day he got cold (blowing 20-30 steady, temps in the low 30’s and spitting precipitation) but it was not his body but his hands, legs and feet. He doesn’t wear gloves and wore attack pants with some variation of thermals underneath. He agreed after that hunt he wasn’t dressed warm enough. But his waist up was plenty warm minus the hands.

TravisIN

WKR
huntabsarokee...Thanks for the info. I was thinking this would be the perfect outer layer for bow hunting late season. I guess it's not. Now I'm wondering if other Kelvin would fit under my jetstream. That's what stinks about some of this gear. It's hard to look at and try without driving hours and hours.

I have a large kelvin lite hoody that fits under my large jetstream perfectly. I’ll wear that treestand hunting when it’s super cold. Pack in the kelvin and wear the jet stream with the armpits unzipped so I don’t over heat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jakelogsdon

Lil-Rokslider
I have a large kelvin lite hoody that fits under my large jetstream perfectly. I’ll wear that treestand hunting when it’s super cold. Pack in the kelvin and wear the jet stream with the armpits unzipped so I don’t over heat
I will second the kelvin lite hoody. It is a GREAT all around middle layer. Not a wind stopper, so not as noisy. Lighter weight insulation makes it very light weight and packable. But you will for sure need to partner it with another system if you're treestand hunting. I've used my kelvin light hoody under my stratus jacket and stayed warm in some pretty cold conditions.

joe2687

FNG
I will second the kelvin lite hoody. It is a GREAT all around middle layer. Not a wind stopper, so not as noisy. Lighter weight insulation makes it very light weight and packable. But you will for sure need to partner it with another system if you're treestand hunting. I've used my kelvin light hoody under my stratus jacket and stayed warm in some pretty cold conditions.
i considered this as well. thanks for the input.

TravisIN

WKR
Another thing I do in a tree a lot is a kelvin active OVER my jetstream. That combo is bad ass. I love my active man that jacket is so quite and how warm it keeps you for how light it is, is awesome. That gives me a durable “ventable” hooded wind stopper layer to wear in. Then I can throw my quiet non hooded packable puffy over it and I’m money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

*zap*

WKR
I have fanatic jacket and ws parka and will say that I cannot compare the warmth between the two with the ws being much warmer.

SgtTanner

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve had my WS hoody for a few seasons and I love it. There is some truth in here though. It’s not particularly quiet, and it is indeed something I would size down in, if in between sizes.

I did have occasion to test out Sitka’s customer service this past season unfortunately. Though they were top notch. I was walking they a somewhat narrow cabin door, and my sleeve snagged on the strike plate for the deadbolt, tore about an inch of the fabric. I got on the phone with them and they had a repair kit out in short order. Other option would have been to send it in for repair. Sucks to have torn a $400 dollar cost, but was real happy with Sitkas response.

Watrdawg

Lil-Rokslider
As far as treestand hunting is concerned the Fanatic jacket and bibs are GREAT!. Quiet and warm. I will usually carry the jacket in strapped to my backpack. I zip down the bibs from the waist down to my knees almost so I don't overheat walking in. I've been on the fence about the Kelvin WS Hoody for a while now. Main thing stopping me is the price in relation to how often I'd wear it. I can see doing so in a ground blind or as an outer layer when glassing or after a long hike. Other than that I'm not sure how often I'd wear it.