Sitka's new Subalpine Camo

Nice looking stuff. Mine will probably take 10 more years to wear out though, so by then there will be something like Subalpine 7.0 available. I'm way too freaking cheap to buy new stuff for a pattern. Heck, I still have a Traverse T shirt in ASAT that I just won't give up the ghost.

Nice looking stuff. Mine will probably take 10 more years to wear out though, so by then there will be something like Subalpine 7.0 available. I'm way too freaking cheap to buy new stuff for a pattern. Heck, I still have a Traverse T shirt in ASAT that I just won't give up the ghost.

You are kind of cheap....

So I've always wondered do folks buy the camo to really hide or make them feel confident? Like Al Linder says "color is awful controversial, confidence has a lot to do with it". So I guess if the new sexy camo does it for a guy then by all means and I'm not really one to judge, I can't even decide which tree to pee behind in the timber....

It is pretty cool pattern though...but I'll hang on to my predator fall gray or brown....even if their fabrics aren't super duper and don't fit....

Last edited:

MtnMuley

WKR
I will agree with companies always coming out with new camo patterns that are the latest and greatest. Marketing wise it seems to work. Thankfully I have most of the quality gear and clothes I need, so it's easier for me to skip the latest and greatest a lot of the time. This year I'm in need of a new pair of hot weather pants and am looking forward to trying these new Ascent pants. Hopefully they breath better than the gen 2 mtn mimicry ones I use now. About the new Subapline pattern, I think it's the best break up camo for the terrain I hunt I've ever seen. Really liked the Forest in a few items I had, but others seemed too dark. I think they nailed this pattern.

hunterman_78

Lil-Rokslider
I personally like the open country better. but than again im a guy that doesn't like change very much... now with that said the new alpine matches better with the area I hunt up here in western wa.

rewild

FNG
I still like the older Forest pattern for the exact conditions that they made Subalpine for... elk in subalpine timber at very close range. The last bull I killed was at 8 yards. And last season I had a cow running up a game trail right at me and when she finally noticed something blocking the trail, she pulled up at about 6 yds, staring at me. The young (but legal) bull that had been pestering her, came around to my right and stopped at about 12 yds, and we had a 'Good, Bad and Ugly' standoff for a few minutes, until I tried slowly raising my bow and spooked them. Until then, they didn't know what I was. So... if y'all are going to switch to the Subalpine pattern and want to sell your old Forest pattern gear (M pants and L tops)... get a hold of me!

OP
SHTF

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
I still like the older Forest pattern for the exact conditions that they made Subalpine for... elk in subalpine timber at very close range. The last bull I killed was at 8 yards. And last season I had a cow running up a game trail right at me and when she finally noticed something blocking the trail, she pulled up at about 6 yds, staring at me. The young (but legal) bull that had been pestering her, came around to my right and stopped at about 12 yds, and we had a 'Good, Bad and Ugly' standoff for a few minutes, until I tried slowly raising my bow and spooked them. Until then, they didn't know what I was. So... if y'all are going to switch to the Subalpine pattern and want to sell your old Forest pattern gear (M pants and L tops)... get a hold of me!

Agreed love the old forest also I'm keeping mine but may fill in some gaps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

excaliber

WKR
In rocks and drier open country with lots of dead grass and sage the open country really blends in well. The only thing about the subalpine I don't like is it looks likes it will be great up close but not so good at a distance. Sitka says it is designed for close encounters @ 50 yards and closer. The one photo of the guy sitting on the rock with the new camo doesn't look all that great. I wish it had more of an open pattern but we'll see what it looks like soon enough.