Sitting stands with puffy layers as outer layer?

golfbum

WKR
Late season archery hunting mule deer and elk from a stand.

Decent hike/climb to sitting area, crazy to think I could sit it down jacket/pants as an outer layer to stay warm And still get drawn on a critter?

what you recommend I layer over the puffy if anything to help quite it down?

I think I'd be looking at fleece instead of a puffy -- assuming weather is no factor.

PITA to pack in but, silent and warm.

I own a couple of puffys - first light, kelvin active. Only one quiet enough for stands at bow range is the kelvin active. Others just have too much noise.

I would put a soft shell over the puffy. You will be toasty and quiet enough unless it’s dead calm—then nothing will save you!

tracker12

WKR
I wear a puffy use my Jet Stream Jacket. I have no problem drawing on eastern whitetails.

What about for pants?
If you can fit them under...I wear Kuiu down under guide pants. Or Kuiu Keani under guise pants.

If not I think you can get away with louder pants in a tree stand. Loud jacket is a bit harder with a bow.

bob1sh

FNG
I’ve found the Kelvin lite hoody to be great and more than quiet enough for the stand. I wear it with Fanatic bibs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

H80Hunter

WKR
Patagonia Nano Air Pants are very quiet. They make a jacket and vest too. From hunting brands the only quiet puffies are the Kuiu Kenai, and Sitka Celsius Midi and Kelvin Active.

bcar

Lil-Rokslider
I've been wearing Under Armor Ridge reaper ops pants this year, got them new off eBay for $80 ish I think. They have full length side zippers. They advertise being quieter material and wind resistant. I did find them to be quiet enough for stand hunting. Even rubbing my legs together trying to make more noise didn't seem to be too terrible, and they are very warm.

Shanny

FNG
I've been wearing Under Armor Ridge reaper ops pants this year, got them new off eBay for $80 ish I think. They have full length side zippers. They advertise being quieter material and wind resistant. I did find them to be quiet enough for stand hunting. Even rubbing my legs together trying to make more noise didn't seem to be too terrible, and they are very warm.
Are you wearing them as an outside layer, or under something? I am looking at getting those exact pants too.

renagde

WKR
I hunted eastern whitetails last year using my Kuiu puffy under a Sitka Jetstream jacket and for the pants, I slipped a pair of the Under Armor Alpine Ops over my Sitka Timberline pants when I got chilly. Worked fine for me and was never busted by deer.

bcar

Lil-Rokslider
Are you wearing them as an outside layer, or under something? I am looking at getting those exact pants too.
I put them on over my normal pants when i get to the tree and get set up. They're too warm to walk in, and Kuiu attacks are too much like my wife's yoga pants to ever think about getting a pair of puffy's under neath them lol.

Beendare

WKR
Patagonia Nano Air Pants are very quiet. They make a jacket and vest too. From hunting brands the only quiet puffies are the Kuiu Kenai, and Sitka Celsius Midi and Kelvin Active.
Good suggestions. I dunno about the Nano Airs....but I have the Kuiu Kenai hoody- It could be the best piece of gear I own, almost totally silent, weighs nothing, good as an outer layer in cool conditions and a insulation layer in cold conditions...The neg would be it doesn't pack up as small as a down piece...but I'm ok with that as the Syn insulation performs fantastic in wet conditions...and dries super fast.

The Sitka Celsius is a great jacket too.... Totally silent, warmer than the Kenai but also twice the weight.

I wear the Kuiu puffy pants....but those are noisy like a down jacket when you rub your legs together....but super warm. I mostly use the for glassing. Whitetails I usually use a bib.

First time hunting in Kentucky this week, three days, four deer, wore my FL puffy jacket and pants. Deer never heard or saw me, they just died......

scott_co

Lil-Rokslider
For colder days, I put my Kuiu Ultra down jacket on and cover it up with my Peloton 240 or Guide DCS jacket.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've killed deer wearing my SKRE puffy as a outer layer. I've worn it under the soft shell but when it's bitter cold out it's warmer as the outer layer.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk