Situational Boot recommendation

Poser

WKR
Foot profile:
Size 13, long & Narrow, medium arch, big toes

Italian boots tend to fit pretty well with the narrow profile. Have a pair of Innov8 Rockets 350s rhat also fit well.

Situation:
early summer scouting
hot weather (feet burn up in leather boots)
lots of leftover snow fields
Lots of sketchy scree fields
-usually going way up high in the early season to glass: 13,000 feet and higher.

Looking for a Breathable, hot weather boot, but need more ankle support than a trail shoe on the scree fields. Waterproof? Not sure. Snowfields can be very wet, but not opposed to just using Sealskinz socks for that. Storms can also be intense.

Suggestions?

I have used ankle braces with boots that didn't have as much support. Might be something to try if you find something that checks the boxes other than the support.

Otherwise I'm no help

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
hot weather I would instantly eliminate any Gore-Tex shoes/boots, the membrane does a decent job of keeping moisture out, but also a good job of keeping heat in- nice in cold weather, sucks in any kind of heat

can't speak to fit, but most boot manufactures have something along the lines of Salewa Mountain Trainers, Crispi Attiva, etc- basically trail runners with a lot more stiffness, burly and sticky outsoles, etc

these often fit into the category of "approach shoes"- which should meet the requirements you're looking for; fit you should be able to get some clues from reviews

Mmmmm. Asking a lot for a highly breathable Hot weather boot to also handle wet snow well. In my experience, non goretex boots are nest for hot weather and breathing but you give up waterproofness.

for the conditions you describe, I’d be reaching for my Moab mids or my Crispi Thors. I have used the Thor’s from the Grand Canyon in May to light snow in Montana.

OP
P

Poser

WKR
Mmmmm. Asking a lot for a highly breathable Hot weather boot to also handle wet snow well. In my experience, non goretex boots are nest for hot weather and breathing but you give up waterproofness.

for the conditions you describe, I’d be reaching for my Moab mids or my Crispi Thors. I have used the Thor’s from the Grand Canyon in May to light snow in Montana.

Moab Mids might be an option, especially at the price point and for such selective use for a relatively short period of the year.

Crispi Thors look more ideal for the described scree slopes because it does get into more
Mountaineering type conditions, but I don’t see them being cool enough.

Moab Mids might be an option, especially at the price point and for such selective use for a relatively short period of the year.

Crispi Thors look more ideal for the described scree slopes because it does get into more
Mountaineering type conditions, but I don’t see them being cool enough.
I’d describe the Thor as a midweight hiker with a stiff sole. I find them comfortable in a fairly wide range of temps and sturdy enough to haul heavy weight over long miles.

Moab’s are definitely cooler but no where near as stiff. I wear mine for light and less rigorous hikes until temps hit the 40s.

ScottB

FNG
Foot profile:
Size 13, long & Narrow, medium arch, big toes

Italian boots tend to fit pretty well with the narrow profile. Have a pair of Innov8 Rockets 350s rhat also fit well.

Situation:
early summer scouting
hot weather (feet burn up in leather boots)
lots of leftover snow fields
Lots of sketchy scree fields
-usually going way up high in the early season to glass: 13,000 feet and higher.

Looking for a Breathable, hot weather boot, but need more ankle support than a trail shoe on the scree fields. Waterproof? Not sure. Snowfields can be very wet, but not opposed to just using Sealskinz socks for that. Storms can also be intense.

Suggestions?
I really like the Kuiu Scarpa's. Stiff when needed and fit a narrow foot well. If you go this direction, buy a half to full size larger that what you originally wear.

OP
P

Poser

WKR
I really like the Kuiu Scarpa's. Stiff when needed and fit a narrow foot well. If you go this direction, buy a half to full size larger that what you originally wear.

I have a hard time imaging that boot wouldn’t be hot as shit and probably way too stiff for my liking. With regards to the size, I’ve owned scarpa footwear in size 13 before with no issue and I doubt they make a 13.5 because few manufacturers make half sizes even after size 12 with 13 being the definite cutoff.