Six Fletch Arrows? Are You Crazy? - An article by Jimmy Tippetts

Skyhigh

Lil-Rokslider
Been six fletching the last few days with a borrowed Bitz. I have been having issues with fletchings sticking to the shaft. Everything is wiped down with acetone before hand and I have been using loctite gel control glue (Never had an issue before with it). Any ideas? Is there something with the Bitz itself I may be doing wrong?

nphunter

WKR
Been six fletching the last few days with a borrowed Bitz. I have been having issues with fletchings sticking to the shaft. Everything is wiped down with acetone before hand and I have been using loctite gel control glue (Never had an issue before with it). Any ideas? Is there something with the Bitz itself I may be doing wrong?

What vane? The only time i have an issue is if i use too much glue. I'm using PM 2.0 vanes and AAE glue, pen and wipes and have been having good luck fletching 4 & 6.

9557F1BC-4A15-40E9-B7AF-EF9C92A4536A.jpeg

Skyhigh

Lil-Rokslider
What vane? The only time i have an issue is if i use too much glue. I'm using PM 2.0 vanes and AAE glue, pen and wipes and have been having good luck fletching 4 & 6.

View attachment 94383
Vanes similar to the ones in the top of the picture. Same brand, maybe a size bigger? I have had a lot of excess glue come out so maybe thats the issue. What does that look like when it happen? Usually mine partially stick, but if any pressure is put on them it fails and falls off.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

nphunter

WKR
Vanes similar to the ones in the top of the picture. Same brand, maybe a size bigger? I have had a lot of excess glue come out so maybe thats the issue. What does that look like when it happen? Usually mine partially stick, but if any pressure is put on them it fails and falls off.

Excess glue will defiantly cause that, the points where they get the most pressure will stick and the rest remain loose where there is too much glue. Typically when i am pulling off the clamp i can tell if there was too much, pretty much any time i get a lot of glue oozing out the sides that happens. I like it best when i barely get any glue coming out, pretty much one pass with a q-tip to clean up the extra glue and there done. I feel like if it takes more than a q-tip you have too much glue, the small vanes are much easier to over glue than something like the AAE max in my center picture.

Slim Jim

WKR
If you are using aae max vanes you’ll need to use an aae primer pen or they’ll fall off. When glueing make sure to put only 2 small drops of glue on the vane about 1/4” in on both ends and then drag the glue back and forth with a toothpick. Once I have it evenly distributed across the vane I do a final drag of the toothpick at strong angle to pick up any excess glue so that there isn’t any squeeze out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ontarget7

WKR
I’ve played around quite a bit with different fletching combos, and direction of fletching etc. Think I’ve exhausted this and more than likely will be back to a 3 fletch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skyhigh

Lil-Rokslider
Excess glue will defiantly cause that, the points where they get the most pressure will stick and the rest remain loose where there is too much glue. Typically when i am pulling off the clamp i can tell if there was too much, pretty much any time i get a lot of glue oozing out the sides that happens. I like it best when i barely get any glue coming out, pretty much one pass with a q-tip to clean up the extra glue and there done. I feel like if it takes more than a q-tip you have too much glue, the small vanes are much easier to over glue than something like the AAE max in my center picture.
The problem was definitely too much glue. Thanks for the tip. Finished the rest out pretty quick.

A tip to anyone doing it in the future, if you flip the arrow around after your final fletch on your first set of 3, flip the arrow around and it'll be lined up for your fourth fletch. I tried rotating the nock and then dry fitting on the first and it went fine, but found this method was easier for me.

Pic-7-1-e1533507689860.jpg

Jimmy is pushing the archery envelope again guys. I had never even heard of anyone using six fletches on their arrows until I saw Jimmy post a photo of a weird looking arrow he was shooting. I was definitely intrigued and told him we needed to hear more about it. Give it a read to see if it's something that could help your archery success.

Six Fletch Arrows? Are You Crazy?
Looking at trying a six vane with blazer Heat vanes, they are a 1/2 longer than blazers but not as tall. Any recommendations on whether to do a slight helical, straight, or more aggressive helical?

Looking at trying a six vane with blazer Heat vanes, they are a 1/2 longer than blazers but not as tall. Any recommendations on whether to do a slight helical, straight, or more aggressive helical?
I would think the heat vanes would be too much vane for 6 fletch. I use 6 fletch currently but I’m shooting AAE PM 1.6. They are tiny vanes

I would agree with Justin that a 6 fletch heat would be too much. 4 max with those. My arrows shoot fixed heads well with 3 from an Arizona ez. My 6 fletch with PM 1.6 are flying incredible and do control my shuttle Ts on good shots. On less than perfect shots they wander just a little. Sevr/ulmer no problem with my 6 fletch.

@mag1 Good call on the different color for spine. I like that idea.

With the EZ-Fletch, just fletch the 1st 3 as normal, then pull arrow out, rotate 180*, and fletch the next 3. Super easy. I used 1 different color to correspond with the spine mark that my arrow's cam with . Makes it easy to see which arrow needs to go with the cock vane clamp.

I'm struggling to picture this, don't your 3 already mounted vanes get in the way of the EZ fletch arms?

How have you found they shoot out past 60? Thanks

@mag1 Good call on the different color for spine. I like that idea.

I'm struggling to picture this, don't your 3 already mounted vanes get in the way of the EZ fletch arms?

How have you found they shoot out past 60? Thanks

Fletch as normal with the first 3, then remove the arrow, reload the arms with 3 more vanes, then insert the arrow but instead of cockup aligning with your top side of nock groove, rotate the arrow half a turn if it was standing up on its nock and then instert into the EZ fletch again. This aligns the 4-6th vanes with the gaps left by the first 3 so what would be the top vane of your 4-6th is now in line with the bottom side of your nock. Did that make any more sense or further confuse the issue?

Pic-7-1-e1533507689860.jpg

Jimmy is pushing the archery envelope again guys. I had never even heard of anyone using six fletches on their arrows until I saw Jimmy post a photo of a weird looking arrow he was shooting. I was definitely intrigued and told him we needed to hear more about it. Give it a read to see if it's something that could help your archery success.

Six Fletch Arrows? Are You Crazy?
I shot 6 fletch the last 2 years I hunted with my compound.... it's my favorite configuration. I was shooting blazer minis.... really good clearance and the quietest fletch setup I have used.... no noticeable change in POI at 80yds vs 3 regular blazers with an offset6 fletch.jpg6fletch.jpg

Last edited:

mag1

Lil-Rokslider
Good answers. I just haven't had the time this past year to experiment much. I fetched up 2 with the 6 fetch, and that is as far as I have gotten. Other projects have taken precedence for me right now. (Building my own tree saddle, Kitchen updates, trying to get my daughters bow setup for this next season, working from home during covid) thought I would have more time, but it seems to have gone the other way.

I'm using the Flex Fletch FFP-150, its a low profile target vane, seems to be working well this past year. I shooting heavy up front, so they seem pretty good. they are also very light in weight, 2.9 grains per vane. The 3 vane arrow is an flex fletch silent knight SK2 in 2" length. I believe 6 of the 150's equal 3 of the silent knights weight.6fletch_compare.jpg6fletch_compare-2.jpg6fletch_compare-3.jpg

Last edited:
Vanetec swift or super spine ~2" seem to work well. I've done a bit of experimenting out to 100+ yards, and haven't noticed the parachuting that some mention, while still getting good groups with fixed broadheads.