Six Tags, Three states

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Ryan found a good track and then some does in the same area. Tracks melted but the bucks gotta be heavy to leave dew claw marks like that in only that much snow.
b17345ec9cef48ecfb09b709d56e1239.jpg

He just walked in the trailer with his zipper down. Not sure what that’s all about.
569cbafa6b21b5c9bb2253fa6074a3fb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hey where is tonight's update? Ryan find the buck that left those tracks? Justin did you guys get on that buck?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
We didn’t find that buck but we were in the area and saw a big 3x3 through the spotter about 45 minutes before dark chasing a doe about 1500 yards out. We pack are shit and ran over there just as the buck went back into the trees.... damn it!
f882c2a8f9d963297803f79d6cdf32ee.jpg

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Robby and I got into some deer tonight but still no shooters. At the beginning of our hunt we saw a doe and about a three and a half year old buck. We hiked on passed them and Robby sent me to glass down a finger ridge while he glassed another one. I immediately spotted a doe and crouched down in the sage. I snuck forward a little and spotted more does and then a four point buck chasing them around. He didn't look like a shooter to me so I backed out a little and flagged Robby down. He came over and we snuck back in for a closer look. Robby agreed with my initial judgement of the buck and we passed him up.

Robby and I will be hitting the trail early on the horses and looking for the buck we saw this morning. Bucks are moving so Tanya and I should be hammering a couple soon!

Sent from my E6833 using Tapatalk

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
This morning Robby and I hiked into the area we saw the decent buck yesterday morning. We came in from above the deer and worked our way down through the sage glassing as we went. Once again the wind was howling but we did manage to spot a few does about 1100 yards away on a sheltered hillside and within about a minute of spotting them, we saw a buck coming out of the thick trees below them. He made his way up to the does and Robby got the spotter on him for a closer look. Unfortunately, he was younger than what we were looking for so we packed up and moved on. The good news is that we are seeing bucks with just about all the doe groups now and the rutt is heating up.

01-Glassing.jpg

As we worked our way lower down the mountain we ran into this cow and calf moose who decided they didn't like our company and ran off. As they ran down the hill they kicked a few deer out of the brush and one happened to be a buck. We got a pretty quick look at him but we both thought he was a little smaller than we want and for sure smaller than the buck we were looking for.

01-Moose.jpg

Since we had pretty much looked at all the area we could see from our side of the mountain we decided to track the buck in the fresh snow just to see where he would lead us and possibly to get another look at him. We followed him and a few does through a couple of thick draws and eventually turned off their trail when they entered a really big stand of thick trees.

01-Track.jpg

While going through one of the thick draws I noticed this little weasel peeking through the brush at me. He is hard to see but he's right in the center of this photo.

01-Weasel.jpg

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
This is what it’s like to hunt with Ryan. He actually FaceTimed us from the bathroom.
62f92f3a0095f6a28c0125abcc3ea7f4.jpg

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Justin’s on the SIG 15x this morning. Lots of does...
c1a79a9fb6766de07518d8cc86a4117b.jpg

Last edited:

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Back at camp now. This is the least number of bucks I’ve seen in the last four years on this hunt. But it’s always good to be hunting. Headed out in a bit.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Found an Ok track from yesterday so I followed it to this rub
16ee5dad0d73cd991a340ba6bc2b784b.jpg
3bc36c99299992fbb54a9710de7bfa3b.jpg

Not all mulie rubs are vertical. They tear up lots of bushes too. Followed him into some brushy draws. Slowly moving around the edges now. He’s likely gone but maybe not, or could be other bucks in there.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I scouted alone tonight while Ryan, Tanya, Justin headed off the mountain where Justin and I got into a 4pt the other night (we’re getting desperate )I’m back at the truck. Drove around to the pick up point. I see the three of them watching the draws intently. It’s almost end of legal shooting light. Hoping they saw something interesting...

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
It’s been rough. LOTS of does but very few bucks.

Tanya after a small blizzard rolled through.
dac44daa963ba2cbd8abfd0530bb2e59.jpg

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Last day! As Jason Carter says, “the last day is the best day!”

He’s right. You have all the recon, know all the places NOT to hunt, and your standards are low- definite recipe for success.

Justin and I have the horses saddled and headed to where we saw an OK buck the other day, and a few does yesterday.

Tanya and Ryan are going back to where we were last night as those draws were loaded with does.