Six years to my first Elk!!

robtattoo

WKR
After 7 days of scouting, spotting, freezing, a missed shot & watching a herd of 150+ elk get blown out of my binos by a guy who never even knew they were there; I finally managed to get it together & connect with a cow!
This was my 6th year of watching others tag out & fill freezers while I dreamt of just that one opportunity.

I learned a lot too.
I think the major lesson was to find the elk BEFORE you start hunting them. Just hiking up a mountain, as I've done previously, is a recipe for never seeing anything. Also don't hunt them where you'd like to, hunt them where they are.20191103_071656.jpg20191103_072329.jpg20191103_091255.jpg

Their noses are beyond amazing. The herd I watched disappear over a bald knob were at least 1000yds downwind of the guy that spooked them. No way he could've seen them, no way they could've seen him!

Don't just look out beyond the horizon. Sometimes the damn things are RIGHT THERE!! :D

They're bigger when they're dead.......

My buddy & I doubled up on a cow & calf in about 30 seconds. We were 30 minutes late getting out, headed to the meadow we'd narrowed them down to & just happened to catch a glimpse of them 200yds from the road. It was literally over & done with in under a minute!
20191103_071138.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
robtattoo

robtattoo

WKR
I'm guaranteed a General tag next year.....I'm honestly nervous about getting a shot a 600+lb bull!
I know for a damn fact that after 14 years, I'm done with buying moose points! That's for guys a hell of a lot younger, stronger & fitter than me!

the_bowhunter

Lil-Rokslider
Congrats!! Tagged my first cow this year as well. They hurt just as much as the bulls do when you are packing it out haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk