Size of chest freezer

We run two full sized uprights, and a medium sized chest freezer. The uprights are much easier to organize and find things in, but won't hold as much. The chest freezer holds a rediculous amount of stuff but it's almost impossible to organize well. I have taken to storing fish fillets in the chest freezer since they are awkward to put on the shelves in the upright, and then cured sausages (like polish and hotdogs). Aside from fish , I sort everything in our chest freezer into heavy duty trash bags. That way if I grab a bag and pull something out, I know everything in that bag is the same thing. Our freezers are in our garage and I make a point of looking at the power lights whenever I leave the house or come home.

Our freezers and storage location exactly....and I recently added a small 6 cu ft unit to take with me on early season sheep and caribou hunts two days from home. I run it off a Honda 2000 generator that is set on a hitch platform with the freezer in the truck canopy. If moose hunting in N BC the mid-size chest freezer goes.

We use steel wire mesh baskets on the shelves of the uprights to organize frozen packages and more efficiently fill the shelves. We ordered them on line and they really are nice, like drawers but easy to take out.

caseroj

FNG
I just purchased a 21.3 cu GE upright freezer to complement my RCA 10 cu chest freezer I purchased last year at Costco. In terms of size and convenience the full size upright freezer is hands down the best option but yes I do think a chest freezer can store more if only because you can use every inch of space in the cavity. Not so for the upright but I can trade a little space for convenience. Right now the plan is to use the chest freezer for wild game I harvest and the upright for frozen foods I purchased in bulk and on sale. My regular house fridges (of which I currently have two) also have their own freezer but they are small by comparison. I use those for the frozen foods purchased at the store that we will consume daily and frequently.