Sized Cases Not Chambering

amassi

WKR
So does that collet die hold the shape of the brass or do you draw the shell through the collet to "re-size" the shell above the belt?
It resizes the brass above the belt

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I must be lucky. I've been reloading for the 300 WM for the past 4 years. Redding FL resizing die. I've never had an issue with the bulge above the belt. I'm reloading the same Nosler brass 4+ times maybe more. 60-70 fps below listed max.

Any thoughts as to why I don't get the said bulge? I'm not complaining. If I figure why I don't get one maybe I can help others who do. Maybe Nosler brass is less prone?

I had a similar issue with some .308. OAL, COAL were good, but had to much head space which caused the brass to grow the case mouth into the chamber causing hard bolt turns and extraction.

So does that collet die hold the shape of the brass or do you draw the shell through the collet to "re-size" the shell above the belt?

The collet slides onto the case down to the belt. You then insert the case into the Willis sizing die. It's simple enough once you see it and try it. It saved me a ton of money when I had my .340 Wby rebarreled and the fired brass from the old barrel would not chamber in the new barrel. It chambers now !!
Amassi supplied the link in reply #21.

PA Hunter

WKR
Your bottom of the shell above the belt is probably bulged on some fired brass. Even full length sizing will not fix this. You may need a Larry Willis die to fix your problem. I ran into this reloading for a friends 7mm.

Harvey_NW

WKR
I will look into getting a guage for accurately measuring the shoulder.

I screwed in the sizing die a scosh of a turn and re-sized the cases. It was a bear to get the press to cam over, but they chambered. I will look into getting the die set better.

Thanks for all the input!

If you love it, lube it. I'm very familiar with the resistance of 7 mag resize without being properly lubed. Once I switched to Hornady one shot case lube and cleaner for the dies they glide through with the only resistance being the shoulder bump. All that force goes towards the belt on the resize stroke.

Marble

WKR
Seems like the OP needs to re-read how to set the die in the press. Do this correctly and have proper lube on the cases and there should never be an issue with clambering because of sizing issues with a full length resizer.

I could see the bulge occurring, but after one firing I highly doubt that.

I haven't ever had the bulge occur where clambering was an issue. Thats after 30 years. I know it can happen but it seems awfully odd to get it so quick.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Dhbwa

WKR
Seems like the OP needs to re-read how to set the die in the press. Do this correctly and have proper lube on the cases and there should never be an issue with clambering because of sizing issues with a full length resizer.

I haven't ever had the bulge occur where clambering was an issue. Thats after 30 years. I know it can happen but it seems awfully odd to get it so quick.

+1

eoperator

WKR
I recently went through the same thing with 308/ older redding fl dies. With the die bottomed out on shell holder it was not enough. I ended up buying headspace comparator set and a new die set. The old dies were bumping the shoulder .003 but still would not chamber smoothly. Brass chambers perfectly with room for adjustment with new die set.

weihasan

FNG
make sure to fully raise the ram on your press. Lower the die until it touches the shell plate and go down half a turn to fully bump the shoulders back into place

Wrench

WKR
Time out!

Can you post a pic of your loaded round? Can you chamber a sized case without a bullet?

It's easy to screw the seater die in too far and buldge the shoulder upon seating the bullet.

Its near impossible to stretch a belted case head in one firing.

EastMT

WKR
This may not be an issue, but I’ve had that happen when mixing die components, like using a Hornady shell holder with RCBS dies or vice versa.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RMajors

Lil-Rokslider
Check your datum line. As noted above, I used the Hornady Lock-N-Load Headspace Comparator.
This is a very easy way to check your headspace control. If you don't, your bolt closure will feel tight and you are essentially headspacing your brass when you close the bolt.
Agreed, Wilson case gauges are really nice as well, but a bit pricey. Forcing brass to chamber with the bolt can cause problems with your lugs if they are not well lubricated. IMO you never want resistance when closing your bolt.

OP
N

norcalkh

FNG
Time out!

Can you post a pic of your loaded round? Can you chamber a sized case without a bullet?

It's easy to screw the seater die in too far and buldge the shoulder upon seating the bullet.

Its near impossible to stretch a belted case head in one firing.
I resized the shells and was able to load chamber them. I pulled the bullet out of this round and was not able to chamber that particular brass without a bullet.

OP
N

norcalkh

FNG

I will be trying to re-set the sizing die. Thanks for the input. I was just so surprised that I only had a few cases out of approximately 100 reloads that had the issue.

Marble

WKR
If I had "a few" I would think it could be one of the following:

I set the die on the edge of what would be correctly sized

Improper lube

Different brand of case.

Case worn out or damaged

Forgot to size...or was missed

Didn't tighten die down properly when setting.

I've done some combination of all of those over the years. I've had several that for whatever reason wouldn't seat, or chamber correctly. So I would either toss the case, or pull the bullet and start over again.

You can also anneal cases which will soften the metal and let them resize slightly better. It should be done on brass at the end of its life or with cases with extra nickel (I beleive Remington) so that necks and shoulders move where they should.

Wrench

WKR
I will be trying to re-set the sizing die. Thanks for the input. I was just so surprised that I only had a few cases out of approximately 100 reloads that had the issue.

You're likely a tiny bit long on a few cases and when seating the bullet you are entering the crimp zone. Back your seater body up a turn and bring the bullet seater back to make up the difference.

Happens all the time.