SKB bow case - # of padlocks for airline travel?

fwafwow

WKR
I have a double SKB case and have traveled with a bow several times. I am now planning to place a pistol in it (long story - similar to others in another thread) along with my bow. My questions are:
  1. How many padlocks should I use?

2. What size shackle should I use?
For #1, I'm aware of a vague "prying test" that TSA agents use to see if you have secured your firearm. There are six locking points on this case for padlocks, so do I need to go with six to eliminate any doubt/room for argument? I'm leaning that way.

For #2, if I'm ordering 4 or 6 padlocks keyed alike, I'd prefer not to get them and find out the shackles are too small, so anyone with an SKB case who can tell me what they use, I would appreciate it. (I thought about going with a very long shackle, but read that someone had a TSA agent show him how a long shackle "could" allow someone to open the case slightly in order to pull something out.....)

sneaky

"DADDY"
Seems like it would be much easier to put your pistol in a hard pistol case that doesn't take a hundred dollars worth of locks and put it in your checked bag separate from your bow case.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
Seems like it would be much easier to put your pistol in a hard pistol case that doesn't take a hundred dollars worth of locks and put it in your checked bag separate from your bow case.

Except that by putting the pistol in the bow case, it won't be opened other than in my presence.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

ODB

WKR
Not a bow case, but I use a Pelican 1750. It has two metal-reinforced lock points and two plastic. I upgraded the plastic to metal-reinforced and used all 4 locks. If it had 6 I’d have used 6.

And I like your thinking about the pistol in the bow case to keep a tighter lid on things...

sneaky

"DADDY"
Except that by putting the pistol in the bow case, it won't be opened other than in my presence.

You aren't supposed to use TSA locks for any weapons case, and you alone are to remain in possession of the key for said case. TSA cannot open a case without you in their presence anyways due to this requirement.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Not a bow case, but I use a Pelican 1750. It has two metal-reinforced lock points and two plastic. I upgraded the plastic to metal-reinforced and used all 4 locks. If it had 6 I’d have used 6.

And I like your thinking about the pistol in the bow case to keep a tighter lid on things...
I would much prefer the pistol in a separate case in my checked baggage. The bow case already screams "weapon" and I've been hassled enough by luggage handlers over a bow case enough already.

colonel00

WKR
I would much prefer the pistol in a separate case in my checked baggage. The bow case already screams "weapon" and I've been hassled enough by luggage handlers over a bow case enough already.

If you have a gun in a bow case, it essentially becomes a gun case. As you say, it screams weapon so might as well put a weapon in it. That is why you use non-TSA locks on it. At that point, nobody should be accessing the case after you lock it up. To me, this is ideal since they can't mess up how you have it packed. Not sure what hassling you've had over a bow case though.

colonel00

WKR
I have a double SKB case and have traveled with a bow several times. I am now planning to place a pistol in it (long story - similar to others in another thread) along with my bow. My questions are:
  1. How many padlocks should I use?

2. What size shackle should I use?
For #1, I'm aware of a vague "prying test" that TSA agents use to see if you have secured your firearm. There are six locking points on this case for padlocks, so do I need to go with six to eliminate any doubt/room for argument? I'm leaning that way.

For #2, if I'm ordering 4 or 6 padlocks keyed alike, I'd prefer not to get them and find out the shackles are too small, so anyone with an SKB case who can tell me what they use, I would appreciate it. (I thought about going with a very long shackle, but read that someone had a TSA agent show him how a long shackle "could" allow someone to open the case slightly in order to pull something out.....)

Which case do you have exactly? Or, a photo would help.

1427910695_1117796.jpg

Like this one?

If it were me, I'd lock the ends and the two in the middle. That should be plenty to satisfy TSA I'd think.

Not sure how far you are from the airport but it might be worth a trip before your departure date if you are that concerned. Also, call or email your airline and send them photos to see what they say

Edit: Also, if the case is similar to this, I don't think you'd need long shackles. That would allow the case to open more. Remember, these don't have to be industrial strength locks. You aren't trying to keep someone how is determined to break in, and may have tools like bolt cutters out. You are just required to provide reasonable security to secure the firearm. If someone really had the time, privacy, tools and means to really break into a case, they'll get into a case regardless. Much like a gun safe at home. It's meant to provide reasonable security, but it won't keep a determined and equipped person from getting in.

FYI, I just use a little lock like this when I travel with my .44 in a little cheapo Plano single pistol case. It would be faster and probably quite easy to just snap the hinges on the case really.

51NXwnEH1jL._SL1000_.jpg

Last edited:
OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
You aren't supposed to use TSA locks for any weapons case, and you alone are to remain in possession of the key for said case. TSA cannot open a case without you in their presence anyways due to this requirement.

I don't understand your point - my original post was based entirely on this concept and rule. I'm not planning on using TSA locks. The point to putting a pistol in my bow case is, in part, so that it won't be opened unless I'm there and use my keys.

sneaky

"DADDY"
If you have a gun in a bow case, it essentially becomes a gun case. As you say, it screams weapon so might as well put a weapon in it. That is why you use non-TSA locks on it. At that point, nobody should be accessing the case after you lock it up. To me, this is ideal since they can't mess up how you have it packed. Not sure what hassling you've had over a bow case though.
I've been asked to show my ID because I was picking up my gun case from the luggage claim. I told them it wasn't a gun, it was a bow. They wouldn't give me my own damn case til a supervisor intervened. You put it in a pistol case and in your bag it doesn't scream anything, and by law they aren't allowed to put anything on the bag to let anyone know a weapon is inside. Out of sight, out of mind.

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
Which case do you have exactly? Or, a photo would help.

1427910695_1117796.jpg

Like this one?

If it were me, I'd lock the ends and the two in the middle. That should be plenty to satisfy TSA I'd think.

Not sure how far you are from the airport but it might be worth a trip before your departure date if you are that concerned. Also, call or email your airline and send them photos to see what they say
I have the 3i-4719 - similar enough to that picture for purposes of this thread. I would not trust Atlanta TSA personnel, or Delta for that matter, to give me an answer on which I can rely. I'm pretty sure I will just go with 6,even though any reasonable person (!) should conclude that 4 as you have suggested should be sufficient.

Now for #2 - what size?

sneaky

"DADDY"
Hundreds of dollars in locks? What locks do you buy? :D
A hundred dollars worth of locks, not hundreds. What level of reading comprehension did you achieve? It was a figure of speech, and 6 good locks these days aren't cheap by any means.

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
I've been asked to show my ID because I was picking up my gun case from the luggage claim. I told them it wasn't a gun, it was a bow. They wouldn't give me my own damn case til a supervisor intervened. You put it in a pistol case and in your bag it doesn't scream anything, and by law they aren't allowed to put anything on the bag to let anyone know a weapon is inside. Out of sight, out of mind.

I've also had airport folks treat my bow as if it were a rifle because it looks like a rifle case (even in Omaha, where I suspect they see lots more bows than some airports). Since I'm taking that case anyway, I can't get around that issue.

colonel00

WKR
Here's the one thing that I've always wondered.
A hundred dollars worth of locks, not hundreds. What level of reading comprehension did you achieve? It was a figure of speech, and 6 good locks these days aren't cheap by any means.

Um, lighten up bud. Just poking a little fun.

As I mentioned, you don't need super tough grade locks anyway. Just something to keep an honest person honest. They already have tools, I have to assume, to cut locks since they can and do on luggage that is locked and doesn't contain firearms.

colonel00

WKR

Ah, yeah, that can be annoying. I've had them ask for ID for rod cases too. Especially for things that don't come out of the regular luggage drop like over-sized or special items.

And yes, I understand your point about putting a pistol in a duffel. I've done it many times and agree that it is nice to have it out of sight when only travelling with regular luggage and duffels. My point was if the OP is already travelling with a bow case, which, as you mention can look like a gun case and cause extra scrutiny, he might as well put the gun in it so nobody can get in it.

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR

FWIW - on Amazon, a type of Master Padlocks (with "bump stop technology" - probably more than I need) are: $35 for 2; $62 for 4; and $95 for 6. Since 4 would be the minimum, it seems to me the *marginal* difference would be ~$33.

I believe the rule is any factory locking points on a case must have a lock. So if you have 6 locking points on your case, you need 6 locks. That's my understanding.

I'm sure it does depend on which TSA agent you get and how picky they are, but I'd just lock all 6 especially for the marginal increase in price for the extra locks.