SKB bow case - # of padlocks for airline travel?

colonel00

WKR
Wanna bet? TSA always opens my bow case and screws up my rest.

When you have a firearm in that case and it is locked with your own locks Bruce? So they are cutting off all of your locks? They'd have to since you are the only one with a key for them. If that "always" happens, I'd be notifying the authorities because that means someone had access to a firearm in an unlocked case on a plane. Pretty sure somebody would like to hear about that.

colonel00

WKR
I believe the rule is any factory locking points on a case must have a lock. So if you have 6 locking points on your case, you need 6 locks. That's my understanding.

I'm sure it does depend on which TSA agent you get and how picky they are, but I'd just lock all 6 especially for the marginal increase in price for the extra locks.

Yeah, I just checked the TSA website. I couldn't find it in writing that I saw but their little video does say that all locking points on the case should be locked. Better safe than sorry I guess and put locks on them all.

Still though, you don't need heavy duty, expensive locks. Here's 6 for $17 bucks.

https://www.amazon.com/Ram-Pro-Lami...k+master+lock&qid=1566163380&s=gateway&sr=8-8

Or, if you want a name brand, get 2 packs of these and you have 2 extra locks. Yeah, different keys is a pain but you now have 8 locks for $60

https://www.amazon.com/Master-Lock-...k+master+lock&qid=1566163426&s=gateway&sr=8-5

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
We went a little off track on this thread, but I'm in agreement on using 6. Best to plan for the worst case scenario. Thanks guys!

Now I just need to figure out the shackle size. I have sent several emails to SKB without success, so I guess I can just call them tomorrow.

Run a some cordage through the locking point that's roughly the shackle length you're looking at buying. Should be able to tell if it's too loose. The lock will obviously fit more snug that cordage but you'd get a good feel for it.

tracker12

WKR
I travel with bow and gun and always put them in the same carrier. Never had a problem. I place locks on all points.

colonel00

WKR
One thing you might consider, seeing that you are in the Atlanta area, is hitting a Lowe's, Home Depot or even better, a smaller hardware store. Take the case with you and just let them know you are looking for locks to fit it. Granted, most of the time the locks are in secured packaging but you might be able to eyeball what will fit. If you find some that work, buy and try right there. Then just return them if they don't work. Might be a few bucks more expensive but easier to determine what will work.

Along those lines, just buy a single lock and see what works best. Once you know the right size, buy a 6 pack online at a cheaper price if you choose.

Norm555

WKR
Last fall I only put two locks on my SKB case flying to Montana but coming back from Bozeman the lady checking me in made sure I had all 6 locks on the case. I’d recommend you have 6 just to be safe. I’ve only used TSA locks in the past but I think I should purchase some non TSA locks for my upcoming trip. Kind of difficult having slightly conflicting info out there.

colonel00

WKR
Last fall I only put two locks on my SKB case flying to Montana but coming back from Bozeman the lady checking me in made sure I had all 6 locks on the case. I’d recommend you have 6 just to be safe. I’ve only used TSA locks in the past but I think I should purchase some non TSA locks for my upcoming trip. Kind of difficult having slightly conflicting info out there.

"Only the passenger should retain the key or combination to the lock unless TSA personnel request the key to open the firearm container to ensure compliance with TSA regulations. You may use any brand or type of lock to secure your firearm case, including TSA-recognized locks. "
https://www.tsa.gov/travel/transporting-firearms-and-ammunition

I can see where people get confused because the statement on their site says "including TSA-recognized locks". However, the more important point of the statement is that only the passenger should be able to open the locks. Using "TSA" locks would let anyone with TSA keys open the locks and I'm pretty sure that there are tons of people out there that have them that "shouldn't". You can probably find them on Amazon :D

cwegga

FNG
You might want to check out the lockpicking lawyer channel on YouTube and then never use a masterlock to secure anything you care about. Most of them appear to take only a couple of seconds to open without keys.

colonel00

WKR
You might want to check out the lockpicking lawyer channel on YouTube and then never use a masterlock to secure anything you care about. Most of them appear to take only a couple of seconds to open without keys.

Yep, again to my point, someone who truly wants to get into your secured items will find a way. Just like gun safes, padlocked gun cases, locked car doors, locked home doors, etc. etc. it's mostly to keep the honest person honest and to add time and difficulty to the person that does want in.

If you want, put security tape on the case when you leave it with the baggage people in a couple places. Keep some extra to reapply in case you need to open the case for inspection. That way you truly know if someone has access the case.

In my opinion though, the reality is that cases with guns are probably safer than regular luggage. There would be a whole chitstorm if a gun or something else disappeared from a "controlled" gun case. If your suitcase "breaks open" and a few items get lost, well that's much easier to chalk up to an unfortunate accident.

TheCougar

WKR
Closing the loop - just about any lock will work; no long shackles needed. I have an SKB bow case and these small master locks fit just fine.

748ff4fa0964f35bf3ae8e17727ae020.jpg
10cc6f8e1bc47e7f9c075f512709e690.jpg
13cd02cc2d6afe4e8bc68ae2b790ca6c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kotaman

WKR
I believe the rule is any factory locking points on a case must have a lock. So if you have 6 locking points on your case, you need 6 locks. That's my understanding.

I'm sure it does depend on which TSA agent you get and how picky they are, but I'd just lock all 6 especially for the marginal increase in price for the extra locks.

This is correct...

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
Closing the loop - just about any lock will work; no long shackles needed. I have an SKB bow case and these small master locks fit just fine.

748ff4fa0964f35bf3ae8e17727ae020.jpg
10cc6f8e1bc47e7f9c075f512709e690.jpg
13cd02cc2d6afe4e8bc68ae2b790ca6c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

MtGomer

WKR
You put a lock on every spot that will take a lock.

Then you take a few extras in your carry on for when TSA forgets to lock them back in or they get broken off in a conveyor.

They can stop you from continuing on to your final destination, if you lose a lock and cannot find another to put on it.

Bring extras. They’re cheap.

Most times I’ve flown with a gun I have had to replace atleast one lock on some leg of the trip.

MattB

WKR
I believe you can just put a pistol in a small pistol case inside the larger case so long as you appropriately lock the pistol case. That is how I generally fly. No need to put 6 locks on the SKB that way. I generally either have to hang around the check in gate for ~15 minutes or some airports have the TSA check for oversized right there in front.

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
I believe you can just put a pistol in a small pistol case inside the larger case so long as you appropriately lock the pistol case. That is how I generally fly. No need to put 6 locks on the SKB that way. I generally either have to hang around the check in gate for ~15 minutes or some airports have the TSA check for oversized right there in front.
The point is to get the SKB case to be locked as the firearm case.

MattB

WKR
I don't understand your point - my original post was based entirely on this concept and rule. I'm not planning on using TSA locks. The point to putting a pistol in my bow case is, in part, so that it won't be opened unless I'm there and use my keys.

One consideration that may undermine your strategy is that some airports have the TSA baggage screening area in the guts of the terminal, so you would have to surrender your keys to a gate agent for couriering to/from for bag screening. While I've never had TSA ask for the keys to open the locked pistol case inside my unlocked duffel, I can almost guaranty you they would require your keys to screen a case locked in the manner you are proposing.

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
One consideration that may undermine your strategy is that some airports have the TSA baggage screening area in the guts of the terminal, so you would have to surrender your keys to a gate agent for couriering to/from for bag screening. While I've never had TSA ask for the keys to open the locked pistol case inside my unlocked duffel, I can almost guaranty you they would require your keys to screen a case locked in the manner you are proposing.
I know how Atlanta works - I get to watch. Anyone know how Denver works?