Ski Areas and CV

Poser

WKR
We have a gym thread, might as well have a ski hill thread. There are rumors of some areas closing early, other have announced their intent to stay open. Some of taken additional food handling precautions, limited seating capacity to keep people spread out as well as only putting groups on chairlifts who are together. It seems that most European ski areas have closed, though, those tend to be run by city municipalities vs. the American model of private ownership/for profit.

If yuh ski/snowboard, is this having an effect on your regular outings, travel or vacation plans?

——
I’ve been out the last 2 days as normal. We had 11 inches of snow locally in the last 24 hours. I’d hardly say it was the feeding frenzy mentality that you would normally see, definitely less tourists. I got in line this morning at 8:48 and there may have been 80-100 people waiting, probably a bit less. Saturday powder days with more than 8-10 inches and it will often be more like 200-250 people awaiting first chair. My local hill took no precautions in terms of limiting strangers on the chairlifts. I didn’t go in any of the mid mountain establishments, but the ski racks outside Appeared full. I don’t tend to do the apres scene as it’s usually all business for me with a flask of water and a PBJ in my pocket and then I go home, but it is a local place and I ran into at least 8-10 people that I know socially. Folks seemed to be enjoying themselves as usual and it was a good mental relief from the cumulative stress of CV: work, 401k, lack of eggs in the grocery store....

I’m hoping that my local haunts (Purgatory, Wolf Creek and Silverton Mtn) stay open through mid April as planned. If they do close early, I’m certain it will be financial decisions due to staggering revenue losses of absent tourists/cash flow issues. As annoying as tourists crowds are during Spring Break season, it’s a necessary form of revenue.

brsnow

WKR
Certainly far less crowded and If you pay attention, you can avoid any real contact.

OP
P

Poser

WKR
Vail just announced they are closing all 37 of their North American resorts March 15-22nd.

cnelk

WKR
^ yep. My son is a maintenance electrician for Vail Resorts. He’s on his way home now

OP
P

Poser

WKR
Alterra brand resorts followed suit. Telluride has announced they will remain open until their scheduled closure date.

SouthPaw

WKR
Yep. I dont ski but I live in the Sierras and in Tahoe at least Heavenly, Kirkwood and Northstar are all closed starting tomorrow due to the Vail announcement. This at a time when we are to get 5-6 ft of fresh snow this weekend after none in all of February.

OP
P

Poser

WKR
Yep. I dont ski but I live in the Sierras and in Tahoe at least Heavenly, Kirkwood and Northstar are all closed starting tomorrow due to the Vail announcement. This at a time when we are to get 5-6 ft of fresh snow this weekend after none in all of February.

Yeah, this storm is looking real. CO is going to get hammered this week as well.

OP
P

Poser

WKR
4dba7f957037e7e626524053601b843e.jpg

Had a great day skiing Crested Butte today. It was our first day. We are already here, and would rather be stuck here than where we are from, so we are going to find other things to do.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

ColoradoV

WKR
Wow 250 people waiting in line for chair one at ole Traverseatory now on pow days...

I “self isolated” my snowboard life in the late 90’s when I got a snow machine/splitboarand never cared to look back. Still plenty of skiing out there - yesterday was good today might be better..

No need for a lift these days or riding a lift is kinda like archery hunting otc elk units here in Colorado 😂...

980A0721-CEC9-47E5-8497-336C7E190273.jpeg

29D4F0D1-A171-41C7-9FAD-AF270EE81B72.jpeg

27060CBA-6402-4144-804E-FB8364732006.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
P

Poser

WKR
Wow 250 people waiting in line for chair one at ole Traverseatory now on pow days...

I “self isolated” my snowboard life in the late 90’s when I got a snow machine/splitboarand never cared to look back. Still plenty of skiing out there - yesterday was good today might be better..

No need for a lift these days or riding a lift is kinda like archery hunting otc elk units here in Colorado ...

View attachment 162098

View attachment 162106

View attachment 162107

Nice lines. My splitboard is suited up and ready to rock. I tore my MCL in the backcountry back in January and have been a little hesitant to get back out since, but I’ve healed up enough and chairlifts being closed is good enough excuse. That being said, I don’t foresee a future where I am a backcountry purists. Feb and March can be super spooky in the San Juans, I’ve had an acquaintance killed every single year that I’ve lived in this area and have seen multiple airbag deployments even in the safest of conditions. I tend to wait until April to really start hitting it as riding <30 degree slopes doesn’t give me my fix.

Brendan

WKR
The problem for a lot of these mountains is that if daily visits go down enough, it becomes cheaper for the mountain to shut down than keep running, because they lose more in operating expenses than they make in tickets. That's why a lot of places close in spring with tons of snow left over - people have moved past ski season.

I want to get out here in the Northeast for another day of cruising, but if I can't, there's always Tuckerman Ravine

cnelk

WKR
The problem for a lot of these mountains is that if daily visits go down enough, it becomes cheaper for the mountain to shut down than keep running, because they lose more in operating expenses than they make in tickets. That's why a lot of places close in spring with tons of snow left over - people have moved past ski season.

^^^ Not 100% true. It also depends on the Natl Forest Lease