Ski Areas and CV

OP
P

Poser

WKR
^^^ Not 100% true. It also depends on the Natl Forest Lease

True, but most in the West that close in April close before the terms of their lease. Wolf Creek and Telluride close the first weekend in April and are both typically skiable well Into May. Wolf Creek is private land and Telluride’s permit flows into May. Smaller, Scrappier resorts may try to be open as long as possible to tout # of skiable days per season for marketing purposes. Places like Telluride have nothing to prove and are only losing money once tourists stop coming. A-Basin open until July exists more as a courtesy to their pass holders and as a status symbol. Overall, I think you’d be hard pressed to find an example of “we would stay open longer, but our lease forces us to close” in the ski hill business. Pass holders don’t book rooms, don’t tend to buy food, don’t rent gear, don’t take lessons and the money generated from their passes funded summer operations. Profits are pretty much exclusively vacation driven.

I work at purgatory ski resort and was supposed to work every day this week. Now, no income. Not what I had in my plan for my family and future. This is a ridiculous response by polis, but then again I wouldn’t expect much less.

Brendan

WKR
^^^ Not 100% true. It also depends on the Natl Forest Lease

It is 100% true for certain mountains - the majority here. I ski plenty here that aren't National Forest at all and have specifically had management tell me this. (I've spent years as a ski racer and coach, so have spent a ton of time on snow at all times of the year)

I work at purgatory ski resort and was supposed to work every day this week. Now, no income. Not what I had in my plan for my family and future. This is a ridiculous response by polis, but then again I wouldn’t expect much less.
As a Durango local and season pass holder I'm sad to see it closed and I feel sympathetic to your loss of work.

But I disagree with your statement about it being a rediculus response. There is evidence that we need to take immediate actions so that we can slow the spread and ease the impacts of our health care system.

Bringing people in to Colorado from all over the world to ski during spring break, would surely increase the numbers here in Colorado.

There is a reason that eagle county is a hot spot in Colorado.... Ski tourism.....

On top of this ski resorts are also a major contributor to trama patients that may also need the care of an already stretched too thin healthcare system.

Sent from my F1 using Tapatalk

OP
P

Poser

WKR

Feel for you, man. I’m a Purg pass holder/ regular as well. I can’t even imagine how the hospitality folks are dealing with this fall out. That being said, I’m confident that James Coleman will reopen as soon as he is permitted to, even at a great financial loss. I’m not so co confident that the big resorts will reopen, however.

cnelk

WKR
Another reason for closure is maintenance before summer
wedding& downhill mountain biking season.
Keystone is scheduled to close April 12 regardless of any virus. Then reopen in June.

They may not reopen until June now.

Vail Resort employees are paid thru this first virus shutdown.

I left Taos on Thursday night right before they got a foot of snow, then found out next day kids school is closed for three weeks and I’m remote for next three weeks... such a bummer,

wytx

WKR
Snowy Range is still open above Centennial, Wy. Come on up and enjoy the snow.