Skiing mountains for birds

THLR

Lil-Rokslider
Here's something a little different which you might enjoy, backcountry hunting for ptarmigan. There's a lot of work going into this hunt, but it's very rewarding.

Good skis, wind resistant clothing over wool, dress hands and feet properly are my most important points. I prefer to glass and stalk, others flush and approach.

Just to give you an idea, try find a road here...
Approximate location Google Earth

Ok, I kinda like hunting pheasants after a light snow, last time I hunted chucker in the snow I fell and broke my leg, won’t do that again. Really enjoy hunting ptarmigan on the Peninsula but that is always August and September.
what you’re doing is just plain crazy 👍

Attachments

• 1783F783-52B5-4420-9F0F-EEF3AD2BB15C.jpeg
    1783F783-52B5-4420-9F0F-EEF3AD2BB15C.jpeg
    594.1 KB · Views: 34
  • E9980B80-D9C2-4B00-BC7D-2C610D2DEC8D.jpeg
    E9980B80-D9C2-4B00-BC7D-2C610D2DEC8D.jpeg
    354.4 KB · Views: 33
OP
THLR

THLR

Lil-Rokslider
Crazy? Don't hear that too often. Wife tends to use "dumb". :D

Jokes aside, thanks for sharing your pictures. September/October + dogs/shotguns are what most people do here as well. Statistically, it's something like 1% of the killed birds that are shot in winter.

Working with dogs are THE hunt experience for me, but I am currently unable to provide a hunting dog with the life it deserves, so I don't keep one. But I'm off next week to hunt capercaille birds with rifle and dogs, that is my favorite hunt. It's a nice forest walk and the dog will bark when he finds the birds.

seww

WKR
Hey @THLR
Where are you from? The ptarmigan video from the Arjeplog area, is from Sweden. I've been up in Torneträsk for some ptarmigan.
Also owns a Norrbottenspets for caipercaille.

So who are you? :) Hit me up!

OP
THLR

THLR

Lil-Rokslider
@seww Bodø. Who I am? For the most favorable answer, ask my grandma. I'm Thomas. If you're swedish, I occasionally write for Vapentidningen, mostly nerdy stuff. Good luck with your season, I'm told there's good bird numbers this year. Off next week myself.

seww

WKR
@seww Bodø. Who I am? For the most favorable answer, ask my grandma. I'm Thomas. If you're swedish, I occasionally write for Vapentidningen, mostly nerdy stuff. Good luck with your season, I'm told there's good bird numbers this year. Off next week myself.

Alright so you're Norwegian then? Or a Swede living in Norway?
I see, I'm not a great reader of hunting/weapon magazines, but I'll keep an eye out :)

Good luck to you, skitjakt!

Poser

WKR
Interesting. My first thought was that looks like a lot of taking skins on and off since you’re moving up and down and traversing a lot, but Looks like you are using skins that cover only a portion of the skis?

seww

WKR
Interesting. My first thought was that looks like a lot of taking skins on and off since you’re moving up and down and traversing a lot, but Looks like you are using skins that cover only a portion of the skis?

Depending on what kind of skiis one is using, I usually use these long wooden skiis, then there are no need for skins. You'll just zig-zag upwards.
But others uses skins and even spikes for their boots. Sometimes on the top of the mountains, all the snow has blown away or is rock hard / icy, then you can walk around and look for the little birdies.

It's a really fun type of hunting, very hard and physical demanding. Usually the rewards are small, but lots of fun!

A couple years ago a friend and I got stuck on the lake with the snowmobile in 1 foot of water, under the snow. Took about 2,5 hours before we got out of there. Mind you it was close to -40F that morning.

OP
THLR

THLR

Lil-Rokslider

Correct. With my skiing skill, the reduces speed downhill really helps with safely navigating the slopes and going through the forest when wearing a backpack.

OP
THLR

THLR

Lil-Rokslider
Pretty much the same as here then (except snowshoe) but you'd be hard pressed to find anyone using the 22 LR. It's mostly 22 magnum, 17 HMR, 22 Hornet and 221 Fireball.