Skinny legs

So I’m 6ft tall and about a buck 30 with my boots on. I know I know…
But I have owned firstlite and Sitka gators and they just simply don’t fit my legs. Drives me nuts. I’m thinking about picking up some kuiu or SG for this season. Any other skinny leg guys out there with this problem ? I hardly leave the house without them anymore. I was very disappointed in the FL gators. Crap material, not water proof and just no structure to them at all. The Sitka pair was OK. Sorta bulky around the boot. Any ideas ? Aside from getting fatter legs 😬

Wags

WKR
6' 130 is pretty skinny. Have you tried taking them to a tailor to see if they can move the straps? I use the kenetreks and they fit me really well. 5'10" 185, average legs i suppose.

I agree, my 12 year old son uses the Kenetrek's in Medium, they are just as tall as mine but are smaller around for thinner "get away sticks."

I also look like I’m riding a chicken. I have had good luck wi OR from mountaineering days. Maybe have some elastic cord fitted to the top.

Jimss

WKR
I got you beat with just shy of 6' and 145 lbs!

I really see no need for gators even in deep snow! They are relatively heavy, super noisy, and more weight and bulk to haul around. Have you ever tried just using high quality rain pants over your taller boots? I've never had a problem. If you are like me you likely have your rain pants in your pack anyways? What happens if you just have gators when you want to glass sitting down in the snow or wet conditions? The last thing I want is a wet tail end! Rain pants also work fantastic as a layer to cut the wind. It's super tough to beat Sitka or Kuiu rain pants in snow, rain, or both.....and they likely don't weigh much more than gators? They also breath very well. If it's super wet they usually dry out in a very short time. I haven't worn gators in super wet conditions in Alaska, Colo, and Wyo.....and see no need for them because I almost always have my rain pants with me.

Marble

WKR
6' 130 is pretty skinny. Have you tried taking them to a tailor to see if they can move the straps? I use the kenetreks and they fit me really well. 5'10" 185, average legs i suppose.
This is a good idea. Professional seamstress that can hold the item and make the decision.

My .02...I don't understand how people need gators so much. There needs to be substantial moisture for me to put them on. Like shin level snow or some decent rain with a lot of brush.

I see guys wearing them in fair weather on YouTube regularly and I'm just perplexed.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Wags

WKR
This is a good idea. Professional seamstress that can hold the item and make the decision.

My .02...I don't understand how people need gators so much. There needs to be substantial moisture for me to put them on. Like shin level snow or some decent rain with a lot of brush.

I see guys wearing them in fair weather on YouTube regularly and I'm just perplexed.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

The Kenetreks have a brushed fleece like material on the outside of there's which makes them very quiet when going through bush. I find they are quieter than my pants so they help with that. I use them because I hunt a lot of sage and if nothing else it keeps me dry in the morning and keeps the junk out of my boots. But I agree, on warm days, I ditch them as soon as I can.

Gseith

Lil-Rokslider
Try the stone Glacier pair. I’m a skinny guy and they fit me well. They are designed to be slightly tightened down the leg.
See the reviews clothing section.

You could always pop a couple grommets in your cuffs and use some cord to hold your pants down. I agree gaiters are rarely necessary. I’ve done and still do a fair bit of mountaineering and I’ve walked through thigh deep snow for a long ways, a lot, and not needed gaiters. Seems like they have a specific use and the marketing teams have pumped them up as something everybody needs to have all the time, so they can sell you more stuff.

LaHunter

WKR
I think a few cheeseburgers need to be your #1 priority before the gaiters. :)
The Kuiu Yukon gaiters are a little more snug vs the Kenetreks, but not really 'skinny leg' cut.
Getting them custom tailored like mentioned above may be the best option. BTW, the Kuiu Yukon gaiters are very good. I think you would be happy with them, assuming they fit ok.

FI460

FNG
I'm generally just a lurker, but when I saw "skinny legs" I thought it might be my time to shine! 5'6 and 120.

I've been doing gaiter homework and am planning on getting a pair from OR. Their sizing options seemed best.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I wear mine more for the dry aspects of hunting and keeping the twigs, pine needles, burrs, and everything else off my lower pants and out of my boots. In Colorado I rarely see much use for them for wet weather but I wear them every day while elk hunting in September. A couple years ago I forgot to put mine on one morning and that day I slid down a slope and a broken off branch grabbed my pants and ripped them several inches above my boot. That wouldn't have happened if I'd been wearing my gaiters. I hunt where there are a ton of little burrs that stick to my pants so thick that it looks like I coated them with them. But they don't stick to my KUIU Yukon gaiters.

Just order their smallest size and hopefully they'll fit you (OP).

Try the stone Glacier pair. I’m a skinny guy and they fit me well. They are designed to be slightly tightened down the leg.
See the reviews clothing section.

Agree with this. The velcro "pad" has a large area for adjustment for the "hook" side to cinch them down tighter for a more snug fit where needed.

Kurt puts a lot of thought into his products...

MattB

WKR
Gaiters shine when you are frequently crossing creeks or wet area where the water may be over the top of your boots. I wouldn’t want to hunt Kodiak without them. Rain pants won’t cut it for that - unless you have gaiters over the top.

Tallfeller454

Lil-Rokslider
Im 6'6" and wear 33x36 pants I like Prana pants and i also have a couple pair of kuiu pants that i had heammed. Kuiu usually leaves a lot of material down low to be lengthened if needed.

Jethro

WKR
So I’m 6ft tall and about a buck 30 with my boots on. I know I know…
But I have owned firstlite and Sitka gators and they just simply don’t fit my legs. Drives me nuts. I’m thinking about picking up some kuiu or SG for this season. Any other skinny leg guys out there with this problem ? I hardly leave the house without them anymore. I was very disappointed in the FL gators. Crap material, not water proof and just no structure to them at all. The Sitka pair was OK. Sorta bulky around the boot. Any ideas ? Aside from getting fatter legs 😬
I just received my SG gaiters yesterday. Only have worn them in my house so haven't even formed an opinion as to if I like them. But can comment on size. I got mediums and they will work regardless of how skinny your legs are.

I have worn out my Yukon gaiters, 6 years wear them all the time, and would have gotten another pair but what I wanted not in stock. So trying SG.