Skinny legs

handwerk

WKR
I too have chicken legs and although the kuiu gators have been decent I recently got the SG's and I think they tighten down better, great product.

Don’t really get the gaiter hate. I agree with them keeping fir needles out of stuff (amazing how my bino harness can end up full of them), protect your pants and shins climbing over deadfall, help with creek crossings even if it’s just water splashing up, and keep your pants and therefore socks dry when walking in the dew covered calf high grass in the mornings.

I wear mine all day so they never take up weight or space in my pack, and my base layer bottoms zip off without removing them or my boots, so the only downside is the extra 60 seconds it takes me to get dressed in the morning.

I wouldn‘t consider them mandatory for a guy on a budget starting out, but they sure are nice to have.

WesCAtoll

Lil-Rokslider
I'm generally just a lurker, but when I saw "skinny legs" I thought it might be my time to shine! 5'6 and 120.

I've been doing gaiter homework and am planning on getting a pair from OR. Their sizing options seemed best.
Same size as you. I have the FL in large (10.5feet) and they're just fine. The OR are nice and I would have those if it had worked out since I'm local, I think the FL are slightly quieter OR more durable.

WesCAtoll

Lil-Rokslider
I got you beat with just shy of 6' and 145 lbs!

I really see no need for gators even in deep snow! They are relatively heavy, super noisy, and more weight and bulk to haul around. Have you ever tried just using high quality rain pants over your taller boots? I've never had a problem. If you are like me you likely have your rain pants in your pack anyways? What happens if you just have gators when you want to glass sitting down in the snow or wet conditions? The last thing I want is a wet tail end! Rain pants also work fantastic as a layer to cut the wind. It's super tough to beat Sitka or Kuiu rain pants in snow, rain, or both.....and they likely don't weigh much more than gators? They also breath very well. If it's super wet they usually dry out in a very short time. I haven't worn gators in super wet conditions in Alaska, Colo, and Wyo.....and see no need for them because I almost always have my rain pants with me.
I wear gaiters to save my rain pants (or legs out hiking ) from the copius amounts of low sticker bushes and brambles in the PNW..
And if you get into the Timber cuts with just dead pokers everywhere . Rather hole and tear those up than expensive pants or pale legs

Jimss

WKR
Gators make a lot of sense where there are stickers/thorns that would tear up expensive raingear. In Alaska we've used Helly Henson in our skivies hiking through 6 to 8' tall devil's club...pretty nasty stuff!

hawkman71

Lil-Rokslider
Hey bud. Senior year of HS, I hit 6'4" and 155. I dreamed of being 180. Well, I'm still 6'4" (30+ years later) but 230. ZERO of those additional pounds went to the calves or legs at all, unfortunately.

Britt-dog

Lil-Rokslider
5’ 9” 145 here. Recently wore out a set of Kuiu and even though I like them, they barely stay on my leg unless it’s late season heavy clothes. Picked up a set of Kenetreks and had to return them, way to big. Now I’m back on the search.