SKRE Extreme Mountain Gear 2019

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Does the waste on all the pants still have that stretch. I had the first gen of the hardscrabble pants and the pants would get pushed down by my pack as the waist would just stretch. I even had the waist taken in to make it tighter but it still would just stretch.
I always wear a belt but I don't feel they are very stretchy. I don't really remember how the prior generation fit to give you a comparison. In the post above yours I was packing out an entire half of a bone in cow elk (front, rear, backstrap and trim) and didn't have any issues with my pants pushing down from the pack belt. I was wearing the SKRE timber hitch belt and snugged it before shouldering the pack though. Hopefully that gives you an idea

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
0125fa34d25ae82ed9a02e572932559a.jpg

9a0ee367a847a855736b5cdd41cf69bc.jpg

I’m wearing the Alpine Tops in LS and SS, the Kaibab Merino Top in QZ/LS & the Uinta pant for my scouting trips. Good combination for cool to hot temps.

I also have the Alpine shorts, but I’ve only got to wear them around the valley. But I like them.

One thing to note for me, I wear a 32 in wranglers and a large T-shirt, but I had to go to a 34 in pant and an extra large in shirts to get everything to fit. At least for me, it was sized a little small.

This is my first SKRE gear. Seems to be a great value

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just got back from a three day weekend hunting antlerless antelope and opening weekend of Utah's archery season. I wore the Unita pants and rotated the Alpine and kaibab tops. I think the Alpine top does a good job of breathing during hot weather but for me is only wearable for one day as it gets pretty stinky from sweat. I have really turned to the Kaibab for my all around top. The 170 gsm is a great balance. It breathes for those hot weather days and wicks very well when worn as a base layer. It is almost double the cost of the other tops but the versatility more than makes up for it.
a3e0c5005e741acc93cf14e3237ef614.jpg

I did manage to tear a small hole in the back of the Alpine top on this trip. Plenty of crawling around in rocks and short brush trying to close the gap.
e1ef1c21958a4dc077fed70921cfab6c.jpg
Here's a shot of opening day trying to hide in the shade of the only tree I could find. I've really glad to have a system to run when the temps are high and staying cool is a top priority.
aee5067133a17530738f6332e4b26269.jpg

Last edited:

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Meat on the pole, Sam!!!

I’ve worn my Alpine SS top for five days and not too stinky but everyone is different. It does shed heat well

I wore it last week. With the Alpine short.

I really like the shorts, although to me, shorts are just for hiking trails cause a soon as you get into the brush your socks fill with stickers and your legs get all scratched up.
And they’re great for riding horses
IMG_9130.JPG

The pockets are the same as the Uintah, and I find the top pockets are a little tight but at least nothing falls out of them if you lay down. The lower pockets with the zip are just right for your phone and loose items. The zipper vents are the same in both the Alpine Short and Uintah. I find I use the vents a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Funny you mention that Robby I was out scouting for buffalo yesterday wearing the Alpine shorts and long sleeve top. I really like the Alpine top it breathes and dries quick just gets funky for me. I always seem to reach for it when it's hot and trips are short. I'm not one to hunt in shorts but these are super nice when breathability is paramount, for me they fit the scouting role perfectly.
21fdd9ff16581d4dc488dabea197c4ce.jpg

Last edited:

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I just put together a quick video of the early season/hot weather pieces I used this summer. These are great options if you're archery hunting into September, too.

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
This has been me for hours and hours the last couple days trying to turn up a buck for my archery tag. Deer number are either extremely low or I just suck. Going to have admit I'll be eating tag soup. Moving on to scouting for my bison tag.
d739c4ba54c16ef4a0234befec31523b.jpg
5e346191bab764ad3cb4c03d31942947.jpg

Kanati hoody and Hardscrabble vest are an amazing combination for blocking the breeze and keeping the chill off those early mornings/evenings.

First day wearing full SKRE kit and I walk up on bedded elk at 40 yds. They jumped up and looked at me, had time to range and shoot at PNW Rosy bull. Unfortunately no blood and no elk. the SKRE gear worked great while climbing through brush and some small rain showers.

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
First day wearing full SKRE kit and I walk up on bedded elk at 40 yds. They jumped up and looked at me, had time to range and shoot at PNW Rosy bull. Unfortunately no blood and no elk. the SKRE gear worked great while climbing through brush and some small rain showers.
Just curious what pieces do you typically use when hunting in that jungle?

Just curious what pieces do you typically use when hunting in that jungle?

Hardscrabble pant, 170 wool top, Wasatch top. There were light showers and brush was damp. If raining just add light rain gear like kuiu ultra nx or the SKRE stuff might work just as well, I don't have that. I prefer light weight rain gear.

I always put wool next to skin too.

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was pretty excited when I heard SKRE was releasing a mid wieght bottom. If there was one area where there was a bit of a gap in thier system it was insulation for your lower half. Not always needed but those late season hunts or if sitting more and moving less more insulation is necessary.
The new Kanati bottom is going to fill that nitch and more. Build from the same 300gsm Merino wool that has made the Kanati hoody my go to item for all my hunts. This is a 19.5 micron Merino wool that's blended 95% wool to 5% spandex offering incredible stretch that retains it's shape.
51d771ea433a9489c1f39b0927127210.jpg

I went with a 2x but could of worn a xl with plenty of length even at 6'4"
455ddc9e2c663d8ce5c0f142cbf68cd4.jpg

SKRE went with a 2"elastic waist band for increased comfort
974b97b4783544aa8b743a92fe7926e1.jpg

Here's a look at the heavy duty flat lock seams used in the assembly of the bottoms. I've been impressed with the durability of the Kanati hoody as a outer layer I have no doubts the bottoms will perform equally well.
048bc27cedf7533c96003e7053276444.jpg

Last edited:
OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm taking them on my bison hunt but it's doubtful it's going to be anywhere near cold enough to wear them much. I might give them a morning to see how well they'll breath when it's warms up.