SKRE Extreme Mountain Gear 2019

452b264

Lil-Rokslider
[]
So, got all my Black Friday order in and the Ptarmigan, while warm, seems very flat. Not as “puffy” as I expected. For those that have them, how puffy should it be? I am letting it lay out in hopes it was just compressed too long in its packaging. I also acquired some UA alpine bottoms and they seem to have much more puff to them.

Any input?

**The Summit pattern looks even better in person vs online!

I have the old Ptarmigan and I wouldnt worry about it being flat I have used mine down into the single digits and never been cold.

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Here's a quick look at the new Hardscrabble jacket in gun metal gray. Can't wait to get a set pre-orders should ship before Christmas
742007449eff455bc2c054bc1e8be288.jpg

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Here's a shot of Mike W, Mike N, and Nate.
38e64ba88add23bfa7319e691d671f62.jpg

Had a great time chatting with these guys. If you ever see them at a show head over and say hello. I guarantee you'll hear a great hunting story or two.

Last edited:

TexAg08

FNG
[]

I have the old Ptarmigan and I wouldnt worry about it being flat I have used mine down into the single digits and never been cold.

It has definitely puffed up after hanging for a week or so. Had a chance to wear it to work in temps right at freezing, and it was crazy warm. Most of the time spent outside is just standing and observing, so it did the job well. Really liking this jacket!

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've worn the new Kodiak pants a bunch now. Wore them while stand hunting whitetails in Missouri and been grinding away at late season cow elk here in Utah. Elk are amazing creatures and still holding very high up. Snow was way over shin deep, lots of breaking trail in knee deep with drifts even higher. Good way to burn calories but poor way to cover any ground in a timely manner. Daughter said it was too much work half way there. Still a couple weeks left in the season hopefully they'll push down and closer to the road so she'll get more excited to go.
3fd537a2a8da97a066ad22430422d8ac.jpg
e5b699e33cd3e8c0300cfc844aab1096.jpg
b128576ea807735a2a32b1793e6087da.jpg

skregear

Lil-Rokslider
I've worn the new Kodiak pants a bunch now. Wore them while stand hunting whitetails in Missouri and been grinding away at late season cow elk here in Utah. Elk are amazing creatures and still holding very high up. Snow was way over shin deep, lots of breaking trail in knee deep with drifts even higher. Good way to burn calories but poor way to cover any ground in a timely manner. Daughter said it was too much work half way there. Still a couple weeks left in the season hopefully they'll push down and closer to the road so she'll get more excited to go.
3fd537a2a8da97a066ad22430422d8ac.jpg
e5b699e33cd3e8c0300cfc844aab1096.jpg
b128576ea807735a2a32b1793e6087da.jpg

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well I've been on this drop of blood for 3 miles think I've narrowed down where she bedded for the day. Holding tight in our glassing position until we can determine which elk is the one.
da94eb7c3092770e370e4f50c94616e0.jpg

Amazing what punishment elk can take. Not sure wear the hit is but still dripping after waiting over night and elk still on it's feet. Hopefully my daughter will tag her first elk

Last edited:
OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well nothing moved saw zero elk, such a let down for her. Going back in the morning but fly out to work in the afternoon so hopefully it pans out early.

Update: Glassed all morning and can't find where these elk went what a punch in the gut to let my daughter down.

Last edited:
I feel like I need to add my $.02 when it comes to review of Skre Gear. This past weekend I finally strapped on gaiters for the first time. What was I thinking not using these before!! What an awesome product. The front clasp latched right onto the front lace of my boot and I never had a problem with them all day. My pants stayed nice and dry. I was impressed by the velcro and how it stayed in place the entire time. Overall time will tell, but for the cost of the product I think that you are getting tremendous value. If you have not considered this product yet, I would highly recommend it to those of you on the fence.

I am new to Hunting and considering SKRE as one of the many camo options for purchase. I live in Southeastern Wisconsin and plan to hunt most of the Bow season next year. What is the best avenue with SKRE, if I decide to go that route, would anyone recommend piecing a set together versus their bundles.

Appreciate the help!

I am new to Hunting and considering SKRE as one of the many camo options for purchase. I live in Southeastern Wisconsin and plan to hunt most of the Bow season next year. What is the best avenue with SKRE, if I decide to go that route, would anyone recommend piecing a set together versus their bundles.

Appreciate the help!

Without question I would get one of the bundles. It would not be a question to me. There is a price break involved with that and you get everything that you need. It has been a little while since i have purchased anything from there because I have everything that I need. You cannot beat the Hardscrabble Pants and Jacket. When the cooler temps come you will want the Ptarmigan Jacket. The Merino Wool tops and bottoms are good and the Kaibab upper keeps you warm on those chilly mornings in mid-october. It also comes with a vest that I wear to town as my 'Going out to Town' ensemble!! I am just giving you my $.02 on the situation, and I think that others would say the same.

Without question I would get one of the bundles. It would not be a question to me. There is a price break involved with that and you get everything that you need. It has been a little while since i have purchased anything from there because I have everything that I need. You cannot beat the Hardscrabble Pants and Jacket. When the cooler temps come you will want the Ptarmigan Jacket. The Merino Wool tops and bottoms are good and the Kaibab upper keeps you warm on those chilly mornings in mid-october. It also comes with a vest that I wear to town as my 'Going out to Town' ensemble!! I am just giving you my $.02 on the situation, and I think that others would say the same.
Fantastic, thank you so much for the reply!

How do you feel on how "loud" the hardscrabble jacket is? I will be most likely in a tree stand and dont want to disrupt too much.

Pardon any ignorance in this as i may be missing some crucial facts that i am not yet aware of.

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member

How do you feel on how "loud" the hardscrabble jacket is? I will be most likely in a tree stand and dont want to disrupt too much.

Pardon any ignorance in this as i may be missing some crucial facts that i am not yet aware of.
The Hardscrabble jacket is a softshell and as such very quiet. I've arrowed a bunch of deer wearing it.

I agree that bundles are definitely the best value(you can the discount percentage next to each bundle). I'm impressed with elite starter bundle for something that will cover a broad range of weather conditions. In colder temps you'll definitely need another layer or two. I love the ptarmigan jacket one of my favorite pieces. I've tried almost all of the SKRE gear and be happy answer any questions.

skregear

Lil-Rokslider

The bundles definitely give you a nice price break! I personally do most of my hunting out of tree stands in Pennsylvania and Ohio and use the Hardscrabble set the majority of the time. I combine that with the Kaibab 170 series base layers. When it does get colder, I switch to the Kaibab 300 series base layers and then add the Ptarmigan Down Jacket when it gets frigid. This allows me to stay comfortable in the stand for all day sits. Of course, everyone's body is different and will react differently to weather conditions. This is just from personal experience. I hope this helps! If you want to chat about options and figure out if the gear will work for you, please give us a call. Our number is 435-703-9901. We'd love to help!

Best,
Tim

The bundles definitely give you a nice price break! I personally do most of my hunting out of tree stands in Pennsylvania and Ohio and use the Hardscrabble set the majority of the time. I combine that with the Kaibab 170 series base layers. When it does get colder, I switch to the Kaibab 300 series base layers and then add the Ptarmigan Down Jacket when it gets frigid. This allows me to stay comfortable in the stand for all day sits. Of course, everyone's body is different and will react differently to weather conditions. This is just from personal experience. I hope this helps! If you want to chat about options and figure out if the gear will work for you, please give us a call. Our number is 435-703-9901. We'd love to help!

Best,
Tim
Thanks for the help, Tim!

I am looking at the Extreme all season bundle just to cover almost all the bases I may need here. I will most certainly contact you all directly when placing the initial order. For what it's worth, Heather had answered quite a few questions as well via the chat feature on the SKRE website. Y'all customer service alone is phenomenal.

Cheers!

chujing

FNG
Does anyone have experience with SKRE’s warranty? Love their stuff but I had a pocket seam come undone on my hardscrabble pants

Does anyone have experience with SKRE’s warranty? Love their stuff but I had a pocket seam come undone on my hardscrabble pants
This is a good question and something I have thought about for a while. If it is anything like their customer service, I am sure that they have an amazing warranty program.
My hardscrabble pant leg pocked got caught on a branch climbing down from the tree one day and ripped the zipper away from the fabric. I don't consider that a warranty claim since it was my fault getting it caught on a small branch.