SKRE Gear 2020 New product releases & member reviews

It is close to 20 below zero due to the Montana winter winds, which easily convinced me to do my waterproof testing inside today. I am doing it on my Hardscrabble jacket. Which is tefalon DWR treated. It is water resistant which lead me to believe it would only hold the water out for a little while. After I put water on it for 15 minutes it had held out the water to my surprise. Compared to my families brand of gear of soft shell the Hardscrabble jacket excelled in holding out the water15842934814429052714345457340242.jpg20200315_105443.jpg

Last edited:

NJ_BHA

FNG
Can anyone comment on the fit of the Hardscrabble Pants? I'm getting mixed reviews about sizing. According to the sizing chart, a 39" waist = a size 40 pant. So if I'm a 40" waist, do I need a size 42 pants? The sizes all seem to correlate to 1" smaller waist measurements... 31" = size 32, 33" = size 34, 35" = size 36, etc.

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Can anyone comment on the fit of the Hardscrabble Pants? I'm getting mixed reviews about sizing. According to the sizing chart, a 39" waist = a size 40 pant. So if I'm a 40" waist, do I need a size 42 pants? The sizes all seem to correlate to 1" smaller waist measurements... 31" = size 32, 33" = size 34, 35" = size 36, etc.
I'd personally try the 40's and see how they fit. SKRE has a sizing guarantee so if they don't fit you'll get free shipping back and forth on the 42's if you decide you need the bigger size

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hey guys if you didn't check out the SKRE Gear facebook live with Mike Nielson and Rokslide's own Robby Denning you should definitely make some time to watch it--Big Mule Deer Discussion I learned a bunch from these Big Buck killers. Thanks for putting it out there!

I had a chance to break in my new SKRE gators. That I got on the spring cleaning sale on the internet. We went on a 5 mile horn hunt. The conditions were mild. One thing that I really like about these gators is they cover up your laces helping to keep mud, and moisture from the grass off keeping your feet dry. Another thing that I like about these gators is the cocklebur came off easily. Definitely looking forward to using these gators this fall in the snow.20200328_163609.jpg20200328_163546.jpg

I am beginning to love this jacket. It is turning into a Multipurpose jacket because it is comfortable and all inclusive. Definitely served its purpose in the off seasonF7A0E930-373A-46D9-B741-2F645641D425.png0DB44445-9E78-4ACD-B5B9-4A0DF06C3177.png

Last edited:

Davem6869

FNG
Skre.jpg

Ok so here is my Whitetail treestand system for both Upstate NY and North Carolina. Temps from 30+(I can get down to single digits if I use puffy pants and jacket)

I also used a version of this for my western elk hunt this past october(swapped out the Kodiak's for FL Corrugates) temps 10-35

Hardscrabble Jacket
Kodiak Pants
Firstlite Fuse tops and bottoms
Firstlite Sawtooth Hybrid Jacket

I have to say that I have never been a softshell fan. Just could never find a piece that wasnt stiff and just didnt like the feel, especially when layering. That being said, SKRE hit it out of the park!!! I love my softshell layers and always find a way to incorporate them in just about every hunt. Temps just got down to the 30's here for our Turkey season opener and this was my go to layer as well. 30's in the AM and 60's by the afternoon. The material is extremely durable(I have the firstlite Corrugate pants and these are better) and breathes extremely well. I have walked through brush and thorns and have had no pulls. The hip vents and pit zips are a LIFESAVER when hiking to my stand. The cut is perfect, I can wear my Fuse base layer, Sawtooth jacket and the Hardscrabble over top and still draw my bow back with no bunching and not uncomfortable in the least bit.

What really sold me is the level of customer service that SKRE provides. The ability to buy without fearing the exchange process to get the right sizing is one of my favorite things about the company. They are extremely responsive to emails and questions and I will probably end up with there entire collection before too long. When I first started researching higher end hunting clothing First lite, Kuiu and Sitka all came up. I wish I had found SKRE before I bought some of their other pieces because my entire kit would be SKRE and I would already own everything they have.

Dedicated customer for life. Looking forward to seeing what else you come out with!!!

skregear

Lil-Rokslider
View attachment 171065

Ok so here is my Whitetail treestand system for both Upstate NY and North Carolina. Temps from 30+(I can get down to single digits if I use puffy pants and jacket)

I also used a version of this for my western elk hunt this past october(swapped out the Kodiak's for FL Corrugates) temps 10-35

Hardscrabble Jacket
Kodiak Pants
Firstlite Fuse tops and bottoms
Firstlite Sawtooth Hybrid Jacket

I have to say that I have never been a softshell fan. Just could never find a piece that wasnt stiff and just didnt like the feel, especially when layering. That being said, SKRE hit it out of the park!!! I love my softshell layers and always find a way to incorporate them in just about every hunt. Temps just got down to the 30's here for our Turkey season opener and this was my go to layer as well. 30's in the AM and 60's by the afternoon. The material is extremely durable(I have the firstlite Corrugate pants and these are better) and breathes extremely well. I have walked through brush and thorns and have had no pulls. The hip vents and pit zips are a LIFESAVER when hiking to my stand. The cut is perfect, I can wear my Fuse base layer, Sawtooth jacket and the Hardscrabble over top and still draw my bow back with no bunching and not uncomfortable in the least bit.

What really sold me is the level of customer service that SKRE provides. The ability to buy without fearing the exchange process to get the right sizing is one of my favorite things about the company. They are extremely responsive to emails and questions and I will probably end up with there entire collection before too long. When I first started researching higher end hunting clothing First lite, Kuiu and Sitka all came up. I wish I had found SKRE before I bought some of their other pieces because my entire kit would be SKRE and I would already own everything they have.

Dedicated customer for life. Looking forward to seeing what else you come out with!!!

Wow. Thank you! We truly are humbled by your response.

Davem6869

FNG
Wow. Thank you! We truly are humbled by your response.
You won me over when I had my Hardscrabble Gators get torn stepping over a log on my western CO Elk hunt in Oct 2019. I reached out when I got back from my trip and you stood behind the product replaced them for me. Kind of a fluke that they got torn and I have put them through the ringer since. Great product and for a company to stand behind their items is a rare. Thanks again!!

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well definitely a crazy spring with Covid-19. I didn't get in all the shed hunting I was wanting due to stay at home orders. I did sneak away for the turkey opener in Utah.
591a98e19baefcd3a301770efd0e6c3a.jpg
Spring time even in the desert is pretty cold in the morning but warms up quickly. Layering and being able to vent when covering country is critical out in this desert habitat. The day started @30* and I wore the complete Hardscrabble set along with the Kiabab 300 hoody.

Last edited:
I am loving my jacket and pants. But the Seams had a few extra strings hanging out that could've been clipped down, but that doesn't affect how the actual gear works. Snapchat-1161887716.jpg

Last edited:

HankNM

Lil-Rokslider
Well after years of wearing different hunting clothes including some of my dad's & uncles wool from the olden days, I decided I deserved a 65th B-day gift. Done research the last year and seen a lot of Sitka & such. No way can I afford a set really,logically. Same with most of the other big names.
But I know why my friends wear it. It works for them.
I had seen the Skre name a year or so ago on some camo a guy was wearing. Watched every video or podcast mention I could find on Skre folks.
Was really looking for a new pair of pants 1st. Then I saw the bundles.....Hmmmmmmmmmm
I ordered an Elk Bundle last week with excellent help from staff.
Can't wait to try it.

I hunt early to mid November in cold, snowy country. Early morning temperatures can be below 0 and reach low 40's by afternoon. I do a lot of spot and stalk hunting. I prefer not to have bulky clothes.

My base layer is Columbia Omni Heat long johns and wool socks. The middle layer is a Carhartt flannel shirt and vest. My outer layer is Skre Hardscrabble Pants and Jacket.

Attachments

• layer 3.jpg
    layer 3.jpg
    469.5 KB · Views: 22

HankNM

Lil-Rokslider
Just got my Skre elk bundle in Summit Mon.
Tried it on and like it so far. Body is a bit slack in base layer top for my skinny bod, but the shoulders & sleeves fit bueano.
Can't wait to try it out.