SKRE Kodiak Late Season Pant

Ucsdryder

WKR
I got drawn for the Skre pant in their drawing. I haven’t seen a big check in the mail for my positive product review so I assume it’s not coming, so I’ll give my honest initial impression on these. @skregear let me know if that checks coming! 😉

Fit - I’m 5’ 11 and 3/4”…that’s 6 feet when the ladies are asking. I weigh 180lbs and have some decent glamour muscles up top and some stick legs. No I don’t skip leg day! I wear a large on top and a medium pant. I ordered a size 32 and the fit was spot on.

If you have thunder thighs, these pants are NOT for you…unless you’re the guy in the gym that wears the short shorts then pulls them up when he squats so you can see those sexy thighs! The taper is good, I would call them a trim fit. For me, I could not have tailored them any better.
2259E77D-DA66-4D30-8AF7-A6B8399C8AF3.jpeg

Material - there was just enough stretch in the fabric to keep from binding up as you walk up stairs/mountain. I hate the jean type pant that don’t have any give, these are great! The material is quiet and would be great stalking late season in the sage. The inside waist band has the sticky “tape” that high end dress pants have that keep your shirt from coming untucked. If you’re like me, when you’re carrying weight in your pack, the lumbar pad loves to ride on the top of my waistband and try to push my pants down. I think the sticky strip will help keep them up! I hate belts and this could be a very nice alternative.

The interior has a fleece type material which is the insulation. Its light, you’re not going to replace your puffy pants with these! You’re not sitting in a tree stand in December, or a ridge top in November, but for me, I don’t want that in this style of pant. This pant is the perfect COLD weather pant where you’re hiking, still hunting, or sitting a ridge top watching for rutting mule deer with a set of puffy pants on hand. If I had to guess, I’d say much below 30 degrees you’re going to want something additional in your layering system if you’re sitting for any period of time. If you’re active, these are perfect and I wouldn’t want more.
664FBA48-2C62-448B-94EF-74E9E2B5C080.jpeg

Construction - pockets galore! The materials, zippers, etc give you the warm, fuzzy feeling of quality. The zippers are similar to my Sitka zipper, with the small teeth. The material is coated with Teflon and repels water. Will it last after multiple washes? I’m not sure! The knees are reinforced and it has side vents to help cool you off! Nice feature! On my kitchen scale they weighed 22 ounces. Light? Not really, but you’re going to pay for that insulation in weight.
151169C3-4159-495E-A3EC-C27E7E09496F.jpeg

Pattern - to be honest, I’m not a big pattern guy. I usually wear solid pants and my camo never matches. Sorry Sitka Posse! That being said, this would be a great option for rocky terrain, maybe sage, or a burn. There’s no greens or tans to mimick dark pine thickets or aspen. Does it matter…probably not.

What else? Hell, I don’t know! Ask any questions I didn’t answer!

I guess the best thing I can say for a review is…yes I would absolutely wear these and plan on taking them on a coyote hunt where it’s a combo of still hunting and sitting. Next year they’ll be in my gear bag for 3rd and 4th season deer and elk!

CoStick

WKR
I have worn these the past couple years for 3rd and 4th rifle. Really like them. Favorite late season pants.

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
Could you test how long you can sit or kneel on snow before it soaks through?
I would get right on it but there’s no snow outside! And let’s be honest… Who sits in the snow! Get out you’re a little three legged stool

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
You can't cut up an elk sitting on a #coolstool unless your nickname is Calf Slayer. How damp resistant are they?

This year I used my foam butt pad to kneel on. When that big check shows up I’ll get right on it. I might spend all night sitting in the snow in my front yard just for you! Depends on the check! 😉

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
Got the pants out for a trial run this weekend. Temps in the low 20s in the morning, warmed to the mid 40s, then back to around 30 at sunset.

I put on some merino underneath in the morning and they were warm, just about perfect sitting on the frozen ground waiting for coyotes. In the past I’d think about putting on puffy pants, but my legs were comfortable. I ditched the merino and opened up the leg vent zips during the afternoon pheasant hunt. They breathed great, were definitely on the warm side, but with the vents open they comfortable enough. Walking I wouldn’t want to wear them much over 45 degrees. That evening I left the merino base layers and had 2 sits for coyotes.

My fingers got cold enough in the wind that I couldn’t glass anymore (left the gloves in the truck). Temps were in the low 30s with a decent wind, phone said 15mph. I was comfortable, no issues at all. I would say the range is 20-50 sitting, probably 5-10 degrees lower moving around.

I’m a big fan; good wind blocking, good breathability, and enough insulation to be comfortable in colder temps. All the pockets were great! The cargo pockets were deep enough to put my spartan bipod in it and zip it up.

Thanks again @skregear !

Attachments

• 6722510D-E036-4C8D-8582-D30835E9CCEB.jpeg
    6722510D-E036-4C8D-8582-D30835E9CCEB.jpeg
    212.9 KB · Views: 26
OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
@skregear these pants are legit!

I put them through the paces this year.

They’re warm, the pockets are great, I love the sticky waist band to keep them up.

Just warm enough, just breathable enough, just stretchy enough. Jack of all trades. The fit is athletic/slim and I can put puffy pants over them and have an absolutely bomb proof setup. 9D37A4BE-E866-4E41-AC97-013D7BB9528A.jpeg

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
Thanks for the in depth review! Looking into getting myself a pair.
I wore them 5 days straight during my November deer hunt, sometimes with a base layer and sometimes without. They kept me warm but breathed enough to keep me from overheating while hiking. I’m sold on them. Nice job @skregear