SKRE Ptarmigan in the Outlet

Talked to Connor @ SKRE this morning and he convinced me to get a large based on the sizing for the Eddie Bauer downlight 800 coat that I have also. I had it in my cart, but didn't complete the order for a couple of hours. In between, I got a text from them giving me an extra 10% off....that sent me to the "complete order" button!
What size Downlight do you wear?

lonedave

WKR
What size Downlight do you wear?
I have a medium and large. The medium fits fine with just a T-shirt on, but the large fits with a layer or two thin layers underneath. I ordered a large Ptarmigan. Just for reference, I’m almost 5’-9” and about 185#. My recent measurement for a loose fit tux (I’m 64 and not into the current tight fitting stuff 😀) was a 43” chest.

lonedave

WKR
SAVE20

Nvm. Says it can't be used on that item.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
Actually, that code is for full priced items only. They sent me a short time code that only lasted a couple of hours. I get a pretty good feeling, just talking with them. If they had a few items in solids, I’d probably order some more stuff. Even at that; I may pick up another piece before long.

Az wildcat

Lil-Rokslider
They also have the Nebo rain gear on outlet too. Just ordered a set and going back and forth on the ptarmigan.

Quick question for those who have this jacket. I ordered one and got it in the mail today. It has VERY little loft. I'll attach a pic of the sleeve of the Ptarmigan beside an older Outdoor Research puffy. The OR is 800fp and within 2 oz of weight of the Skre.
Is this normal? Does it need to be tumbled in the dryer? Thanks!

IMG_20220509_205908037_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

Az wildcat

Lil-Rokslider
How does it compare to the Chugach from Kuiu?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
No experience with the Kuiu and the Skre are currently on their way to my house so no experience with them either but I’m sure someone with more experience can answer.

Price wise on outlet it’s about a 3rd of the price and available now!

Quick question for those who have this jacket. I ordered one and got it in the mail today. It has VERY little loft. I'll attach a pic of the sleeve of the Ptarmigan beside an older Outdoor Research puffy. Both are 800fp and within 2 oz of weight.

View attachment 409718
Yikes. That’s not good.

That's my initial thought. I tried fluffing it out and it's just flat.
I’d call them. I had an Eddie Bauer Microtherm that has like 2-3 ounces of down that has more loft than that. Heck, a $30 Amazon jacket with 650FP that I keep in my center console semi compressed year round puffs up more than that in a few seconds.

If the one I ordered looks like that, it is going back.

Quick question for those who have this jacket. I ordered one and got it in the mail today. It has VERY little loft. I'll attach a pic of the sleeve of the Ptarmigan beside an older Outdoor Research puffy. Both are 800fp and within 2 oz of weight.

View attachment 409718
Interesting I’m curious what others have to say but mine seems fine. It’s not insanely puffy but I purchased it for a lightweight technical puffy. I bought mine when they discontinued mountain stealth so thought it was a good deal. I used it in first rifle CO and it did great but I also layer with their merinos. Regardless I know Skre will make it right as they have been great to work with. Here is a photo of mine next to my REI magma. They are both great but I like how technical the Skre jacket is. More fill would be nice but that may be getting into the territory of the Kelvin Lite Down WS or First Lite Chamberlin as I’ve heard those are great but potentially too warm if on the move. If you call them and get an answer let us know what they say! Hopefully others will chime in too.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    641.6 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
Interesting I’m curious what others have to say but mine seems fine. It’s not insanely puffy but I purchased it for a lightweight technical puffy. I bought mine when they discontinued mountain stealth so thought it was a good deal. I used it in first rifle CO and it did great but I also layer with their merinos. Regardless I know Skre will make it right as they have been great to work with. Here is a photo of mine next to my REI magma. They are both great but I like how technical the Skre jacket is. More fill would be nice but that may be getting into the territory of the Kelvin Lite Down WS or First Lite Chamberlin as I’ve heard those are great but potentially too warm if on the move. If you call them and get an answer let us know what they say! Hopefully others will chime in too.
Thank you! I believe this jacket is supposed to have just under 5 oz of down fill, in which case it should have a good amount of loft. I've had great dealings with Skre so I'm sure they'll make it eight.

OP
Deputynrc

Deputynrc

FNG
Talked to Connor @ SKRE this morning and he convinced me to get a large based on the sizing for the Eddie Bauer downlight 800 coat that I have also. I had it in my cart, but didn't complete the order for a couple of hours. In between, I got a text from them giving me an extra 10% off....that sent me to the "complete order" button!
Nice, Did you get the one in the outlet or one of the newer ones? I love this thing. I does look like it has a little different stitching than the ones on the regular site (newer colors) but it looks like about the same specs. Does anyone have both this one and the Kuiu Super Down Pro to compare them together? I was just wondering how close they are to each other.

lonedave

WKR
Nice, Did you get the one in the outlet or one of the newer ones? I love this thing. I does look like it has a little different stitching than the ones on the regular site (newer colors) but it looks like about the same specs. Does anyone have both this one and the Kuiu Super Down Pro to compare them together? I was just wondering how close they are to each other.
I did get the outlet version. I don't have the Kuiu Super Down Pro, but I do have a couple of Eddie Bauer Downlight 800 jackets to compare when I get the Ptarmigan.

three5x5s

WKR

View attachment 409718
Wow. That doesn’t look right. Please post up on what they say . Think I’ll wait to order

OP
Deputynrc

Deputynrc

FNG
Wow. That doesn’t look right. Please post up on what they say . Think I’ll wait to order
I did notice mine seemed to be a little flatter than I was expecting. I thought it just needed to be fluffed up. I don't have anything to compare it to so I would be interested in the responses from SKRE also.

Here's their reply:

Bryan,

The down feathers will regain some loftiness once it has been out of the package and has time to air out. You will find that once it airs out a little bit it will still be slimmer than your other jacket. The Ptarmigan Down Jacket is a more compact athletic fit. The fill power refers to the loftiness that is put in the jacket. That Jacket you have can be the same fill power but can have more down in it. The fill power is the size of the feathers. With it being less spread out, the Ptarmigan is going to insulate and let minimal air come in, keeping you very warm while still having the ability to be agile while wearing it. Please let me know if you have any other questions. I am happy to help.

Thanks,