SKRE Rain Gear?

Elite

WKR
I have researched and have not found much on this rain gear, Looking to see if anyone has experience with it or what other brands I should look at? Will be mainly used for backpack sheep hunting and a wind breaker over clothing when needed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've worn my set a bunch and never gotten wet yet. It typically doesn't rain where I hunt for days in a row so hopefully one of those guys that lives in that environment chimes in. I use it for a wind breaker much more than as a rain jacket. I've been surprised at this light weight sets durability though and have been wearing it while breaking brush in North Idaho jungle without issue. I didn't try and tear it up but i didn't baby it either. I do wish they would offer pit zips for more versatility.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

K_pem

WKR
I had this rain gear for a good part of last season and i was impressed with its ability to keep you dry. The durability was good as well considering its weight, however i did manage to tear a small bit in the lower leg but in all fairness up here in north Idaho it takes a good beating. However, for me personally i didn't find a niche for it to fill as i have an ultralight set of rain gear for quick storms and a slightly heavier more durable and feature rich rain gear for later season and expected all day wetness. I wish that it had pit zips and the ability to vent the legs, a couple pant pockets would be a good addition as well. For the price though i think its a great middle of the road rain gear for someone that needs to cover a broad spectrum of conditions, its a good versatile "one set only" rain gear. For what its worth I would recommend it to the budget conscious person that needs a do it all.

OP
Elite

Elite

WKR
Thanks for the reply,

I have seen some rain gear that is lighter but I am worried about the durability of it vs rain gear that is designed for hunting conditions, I would mainly be wearing it for a wind breaker for glassing and waiting out a storm, Which other brands do you have or what does everyone recommend? I think the skre gear is 26-27 OZs for the complete set?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

K_pem

WKR
I have the Cabelas space rain but have also owned the Sitka Dewpoint, which is slightly more durable feeling but i didn't notice a big enough of a difference to warrant the cost. However i also own the Sitka Cloudburst which i would say is most definitely worth its weight and is a very feature rich quality rain gear. I find it to be a good balance of weight and durability for if i know im going to be brush busting in wet conditions.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just wanted to note that SKRE offers a VIP lifetime warranty against defects.

IMO the 20k rated, 4 way stretch, 3 layer waterproof membrane compares well against any of the packable rain gear rated equally.

The question you need to ask yourself if you want to up the wieght of your rain gear in hopes of increasing durability. If you do make sure your increasing above 20k rating as well for maximum gain.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

K_pem

WKR
That is one thing i can say about SKRE. As much gear as I've purchased over the years from all the major manufacturers (and that's a lot), Mike at SKRE has been by far the most helpful and their VIP warranty in regards to damage and returns, way above par for this industry.

I have my set sitting in the package at home waiting to use it this hunting season. I purchased it at the end of the year in a sale and haven't had the need to take it out in the field yet. Looking forward to using it though.

Claroue

Lil-Rokslider
My buddy used it last elk season and he got soaked. When we got back he called and they sent him new gear no questions. The new stuff works great. I used it on a canoe trip this spring.

skregear

Lil-Rokslider
Hey, guys,

If you want to give our rain gear a try, please use code ROKSLIDE15 at checkout to save 15% on your order.

Best,
Tim