SKRE vs Kuiu

Wapiti406

WKR
Thinking of replacing my C4E outer jacket. Is there much of a difference between SKRE Hardscrabbble and Kuiu Guide DCS as far as water/wind resistance, and warmth? Or is it more of Ford vs Chevy debate?

ianpadron

WKR
Thinking of replacing my C4E outer jacket. Is there much of a difference between SKRE Hardscrabbble and Kuiu Guide DCS as far as water/wind resistance, and warmth? Or is it more of Ford vs Chevy debate?
KUIU makes some great pieces of gear but IMO the Guide Jacket ain't one of em.

A stiff wind will cut right through it in my experience. Great for when you're active, but sucks unless you've got a windproof layer along to glass with. Also weighs like 24 oz or something and doesn't pack down very well.

The DWR is however, unbelievably effective on the Guide jacket. I like it as a day hunt jacket when heavy rain is not in the forecast.

No experience with SKRE.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think the guide is a great piece because of how active you can be with it. However it's a niche piece, if you want heat retention and wind block while stopped, keep looking.

My only experiance with skre is the hardscrabble pants which is the same as the jacket except no fleece lining. Looking at both face fabrics the skre is a bit denser fabric. The guide is thicker (not counting the fleece lining). I'd expect the guide to have longer wear but the skre to do better with water and wind. No I don't think the skre material is cheap it's just a different type. So far it's been very durable.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Benjblt

WKR
I've already ripped a hole in my Kuiu Guide pants. I've worn them maybe 5 times. They aren't as durible as you'd think. They're nice though. Not as wind resistant as you would think a soft shell should be. I own a lot of Kuiu and like it but sometimes they sacrifice duribility and warmth for light and breathable. It depends what you're after. If you hunt on a dead run all the time Kuiu should work for you :)

IdahoElk

WKR
I've already ripped a hole in my Kuiu Guide pants. I've worn them maybe 5 times. They aren't as durible as you'd think. They're nice though. Not as wind resistant as you would think a soft shell should be. I own a lot of Kuiu and like it but sometimes they sacrifice duribility and warmth for light and breathable. It depends what you're after. If you hunt on a dead run all the time Kuiu should work for you :)

Where do you hunt? I found my experience with the Kuiu articles mentioned to be almost opposite?
Also what are Skre clothes made of? I've yet been able to find any technical info on their items,the Hardscrabble pants I have seem to be coated nylon?

Benjblt

WKR
Where do you hunt? I found my experience with the Kuiu articles mentioned to be almost opposite?
Also what are Skre clothes made of? I've yet been able to find any technical info on their items,the Hardscrabble pants I have seem to be coated nylon?
Utah and Oregon.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

ColoradoHunterHiker

Lil-Rokslider
I'd echo what others have said about the Guide Jacket. It is NOT warm. It is a "fleece" type of warmth. It doesn't block the wind that great, but it's not terrible either. It is great at shedding water though.

Good luck!

Benjblt

WKR
I'd echo what others have said about the Guide Jacket. It is NOT warm. It is a "fleece" type of warmth. It doesn't block the wind that great, but it's not terrible either. It is great at shedding water though.

Good luck!

It's a good jacket and I own it but you'd expect a little more protection from a soft shell. It's all about what your needs are. You probably can't find too many soft shells that are as breathable. The fit is nice too I think. If I were a bigger guy, broader guy I probably wouldn't be saying that though.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
i wish skres pattern was more broken up
It's in the works from what Mike told me. I do like their pattern but a broken up option would be nice too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk