Skull cleaning -brain matter-CWD

I think most states have a law that requires all brain matter be removed from the skull of an animal taken in a cwd positive state before it can be brought in. Here’s a way I’ve found that removes all of the brain matter and cleans the skull great in no time with minimal tools.

All you need to do is throw a cordless drill and a 1” spade bit in the truck. Remove the skull at the base and drill a 1” hole where the brain stem is. Take the bit and scramble up the brains and shake them out of the hole. Repeat as necessary. I’ve used some bent over grass to scrape around in there as well.

While you’re doing that dirty work, fire up the jet boil and get some water boiling. When you have as much out as you can, dump some boiling water in the brain pan and shake it around and dump it out. Repeat until it’s all out. Done!

This has worked great for me. Please wear gloves and be sure to check your states laws to make sure that doing it this way meets whatever requirements they have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use one of these, then you don't have to drill the skull.

Fordguy

WKR
I've always just cut the back portion of the skull off to provide access. Only takes a minute and everything is wide open and easy to clean. It doesn't show when the skull is mounted either- unless you're up there poking around with a mirror and a flashlight.

djsamaha

FNG
I think most states have a law that requires all brain matter be removed from the skull of an animal taken in a cwd positive state before it can be brought in. Here’s a way I’ve found that removes all of the brain matter and cleans the skull great in no time with minimal tools.

All you need to do is throw a cordless drill and a 1” spade bit in the truck. Remove the skull at the base and drill a 1” hole where the brain stem is. Take the bit and scramble up the brains and shake them out of the hole. Repeat as necessary. I’ve used some bent over grass to scrape around in there as well.

While you’re doing that dirty work, fire up the jet boil and get some water boiling. When you have as much out as you can, dump some boiling water in the brain pan and shake it around and dump it out. Repeat until it’s all out. Done!

This has worked great for me. Please wear gloves and be sure to check your states laws to make sure that doing it this way meets whatever requirements they have.

Thanks for the tip. Starting to hunt out of state more and didn’t have a great plan for this.

dtrkyman

WKR
12ga bore brush on one section of cleaning rod and a cordless drill!

Joebe

FNG
I use a piece of clothing hanger bend a S in the end with a cordless crew gun. Make it look like a bakery hook used on a mixer. Guess there all about the same.

I saw the scrambler a few years ago at a friends shop. So I made my own with a piece of 3/8 rebar, drilled in 6 C6A0F5AF-0F28-46CD-B7F1-6F9ECD52BCA0.jpegholes all offset from each other. Used drill bit that was same size as weed eater rope. It works slick. Took about 10 minutes to cut bar, drill out and round top of bar. 0EC07764-B56A-4A8F-9531-0ED2D2A5AEE0.jpeg