Skull cleaning

TSAMP

WKR
I recently watched a thing on the wyoming fish and game website about using a sous vide for the thermal processing of a skull. Seemed pretty slick to me.

lyingflatlander

Lil-Rokslider
Bought and brought a Bridger boiler with a 20 gallon propane tank. Skin the head, morcelate the brains and boil for 24 hours. Set it and forget it. Ready for bleach if you want to when your done.

We've used a "skull scrambler" (from RaptorRazor) on a drill in the past and it works very well. Skin the head, turn it over and dump a little water in the brainstem hole, scramble, dump out, repeat a few times. 99% of the brain material will be cleaned out. Tip: when you stick the scrambler down in the hole, cover it with your other hand because it has tendency to spray brains everywhere.

We asked a CO if we had to do more than that and he said nope.

skin the head, remove the lower jaw and go the nearest car wash and remove brains using pressure washer & then boil it out and finish cleaning @ home if you plan on doing a euro mount. Talked to multiple CO's and they hake ok'd it for crossing state lines with the CWD tresspass laws.

MattB

WKR
We've used a "skull scrambler" (from RaptorRazor) on a drill in the past and it works very well. Skin the head, turn it over and dump a little water in the brainstem hole, scramble, dump out, repeat a few times. 99% of the brain material will be cleaned out. Tip: when you stick the scrambler down in the hole, cover it with your other hand because it has tendency to spray brains everywhere.

Good tool, but those little bits of brain have a mind of their own. In the future I will use a plastic bag and push the shank of the tool through the inside of the bag to contain the bits and keep the drill (and myself) clean.

Good tool, but those little bits of brain have a mind of their own. In the future I will use a plastic bag and push the shank of the tool through the inside of the bag to contain the bits and keep the drill (and myself) clean.

Agreed! We've learned that slower is better at first until you get a good chunk of the brains out!

X2 these work pretty well. I have one for deer and one for elk, different filament lengths.

lyingflatlander

Lil-Rokslider
For anyone who wants to build their own rapto razor. Cut off an old large long screwdriver. Pilot 6 holes 1 centimeter apart from the same tip, large enough to string weed wacker line through it to make 3 - 3 inch ears of weed wacker string. Put in a cordless drill and have at it!

OP
jt4

jt4

WKR
I’ve done it by boiling and then pressure washing and it turned out well. Just trying to get an idea of how to take as little as possible on a cross country trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fitzwho

WKR
I’m putting together my kit for this very thing. I bought something that looks like just the burner off of the link, no stand. It has 3-4 feet on it and in total sits about 2.5” off the ground. I then bought what is essentially a raised pot trivet that’s 3.5” tall. Thinking it will sit over the burner just right and both will fit inside my boiling pot while traveling. Now just trying to decide if I will eventually include a 5lb propane tank to keep everything nice and compact.