Skull Transport - CWD rules

Howdy, I am headed to Western Oklahoma in a week for an archery hunt (whitetail or mule).

This will only be my 2nd time hunting out west/spot and stalk, but I of course plan on killing a BOAL (New to Rokslide, but I think I am picking up on things).

I would ideally like to euro mount the buck I kill, Georgia will not allow me to transport a head containing tissue back home. So, if I want to bring a complete skull back home, what is the best way to do it?

Is it possible to cut the skull plate off, get rid of the brain matter, then reattach it later on and still have a decent-looking euro?

I figure worst case I can find a taxidermist in Oklahoma, let them handle it then get it shipped, but I am sure that will cost a fortune.

sram9102

WKR
Couple of options for this. Take a pot and a burner and boil your own skull. Or reach out to a local taxidermist and see if they would do a quick turn around euro. We had a guy in idaho do 36 hour turn around on a deer and elk last fall. Didn't get a seal coat on but got them cleaned and bleached. We also boiled one that was killed to late to get to him.

OP
gentleman4561
Couple of options for this. Take a pot and a burner and boil your own skull. Or reach out to a local taxidermist and see if they would do a quick turn around euro. We had a guy in idaho do 36 hour turn around on a deer and elk last fall. Didn't get a seal coat on but got them cleaned and bleached. We also boiled one that was killed to late to get to him.
Solid ideas, thank you.

Jethro

WKR

WCB

WKR
Bring a pot and burner and do it yourself. Once you get it simmering for a little while jam a screwdriver in the ear holes and pop that bone out on each side. This will greatly help get the brain out. You don't have to get it 100% wall ready just brain out and your good to go.

I would as a backup have a taxidermist in OK on standby if you kill one say the last day or evening...you could always drop it off and have it shipped to you if need be. But honestly If you trim as much tissue off as possible and do it yourself wont take much more than a couple hours max to get it travel worthy

Have a taxidermist do it there and ship it to you when done, Or if your driving put it in a garbage bag bring it home and do it yourself, What some people do not know about will not hurt them, if you understand what I am talking about. Mule deer hunt lined up 2023 (if we draw tags) if I kill one that I think I would want mounted going to have it caped freeze the cape and bring the head home in the garbage bag, in case I change my mind and decide to go euro insted, done arranged with the taxidermist for the mount.

Mudpuddle

Lil-Rokslider
Good ideas above. You can also take it to a carwash with a pressure washer and quickly remove the brain tissue. A coworker of mine did that for an elk he shot in Colorado and brought back to Georgia. I'd be careful around the nasal cavity if you go that route.

LostArra

WKR
Since you'll be in Oklahoma the simplest thing would be too drop it off at Skulls Unlimited in OKC. They will do a museum quality Euro and ship it to you. Leave time to tour their osteology museum.

SandyCreek

Lil-Rokslider
I take a drill and a coat hanger and just scramble the brain and rinse it out. I’m not hanging out all day to simmer my skull or wait for a taxidermist when I could be home

OP
gentleman4561
Since you'll be in Oklahoma the simplest thing would be too drop it off at Skulls Unlimited in OKC. They will do a museum quality Euro and ship it to you. Leave time to tour their osteology museum.

Very cool!

scfreeman66

Lil-Rokslider
We skin the heads out in the field. Cut the eyeballs out. Hit up a car wash back in town and give it a rinse. Everything comes out easily. Salt is your friend to keep the stink/bugs away until you get it home...

Sent from my moto g stylus 5G using Tapatalk

Fordguy

WKR
On my European mounted deer I cut the back of the skull off behind the antlers. It's a straight cut, easy to make. Once you have the skull mounted no one sees the back side and it makes cleaning the brain cavity very simple.