Skunked in CO OTC Archery…The good, the bad, and the weird.

EJDXT21

Lil-Rokslider
I’ll start with the bad. Well we got skunked. We were hoping to find bugling bulls and harems of cows, but they just weren’t there. Worked multiple areas, multiple elevations, saw lots of old sign, fresh sign twice and only heard two distant bugles. Nothing was talking, no responses and not much in the way of big game animal activity. Never saw an Elk with the exception of on private land driving through CO. In regards to harvesting an animal, unfortunately this year we were unsuccessful.
The weird…I’m blaming our failure on being cursed by vegan animal activists, HaHa. There were two recreational hikers, husband and wife, older couple who passed me first then later my hunting buddy. We only briefly said hello as they passed. My buddy had a brief conversation with them in which they told him, “we can’t wish you good luck because we don’t approve of hunting, we are animal activists and vegan but be safe.” Oh well.
The good. Overall, we can say there was so much more good than anything else. The views, the perfect weather, other than a bit of rain and light hail for only a few minutes. Meeting some cool people, seeing amazing places. Marking spots that would be amazing for mule deer, moose and elk in later seasons. My buddy saw two cow moose at under 40yds, we saw some grouse, lots of squirrels and rabbits. Got to hang out with a friend who had never been elk hunting before. Got to learn more and make notes of how to refine our gear and food for next time. Got to get away from the hustle and bustle of busy life, realize how much I love and missed my family and want to get them out there with me as soon as possible. Got to appreciate the Beauty of this world and experience the magic of nature that not enough people get to enjoy. Overall we came back safe and uninjured, educated and appreciative, which overall makes this trip a success!
Congrats to everyone who tagged out and good luck to those who still have yet to get out in the woods. May you have success, however that may be defined.

Speck1

Lil-Rokslider
I had a very similar experience this year and enjoyed every minute of it.