Sky Talus 6900 vs Sky Guide 7900

schmalzy

WKR
Anyone use both and have a leaning one over the other? General backpack hunting use, with main focus for an AK sheep hunt. Don’t ever really see going over 8-9 days. Have a solo 3600 for day/overnights. Pocket layout on the 6900 appeals to me and the direction is leaning.

I pack fairly lean but like ease of access and efficiency in getting stuff out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Used a 6900 this year for my sheep hunt. Unless your a minimalist, it was a tight squeeze.

My guide had the Pack made in Alaska. (Can’t remember name right now) For sure the only way to go.

JFKinYK

Lil-Rokslider
some info here with a link to more

to add - I’ve packed out ram plus camp in both and much prefer the 7900.

OP
schmalzy

schmalzy

WKR
some info here with a link to more

to add - I’ve packed out ram plus camp in both and much prefer the 7900.

Thank you, don’t know how I missed this one when I searched the first time.

jhm2023

WKR
I own both. I prefer the sky guide soley because of the horseshoe main zip and the lack of a pocket on the rigth side as worn, making my rifle ride a little better. The vertical zip on the main pocket of the 6900 isn't the easiest to get into, especially when you have the load shelf full of meat and cinched down tight. I actually ended up giving the sky talus to my wife because she puts up with me enough to follow me into the mountains every year. Both are great packs and it's really just a personal preference thing. It was never an issue of space as I always pack for 10+ days for sheep hunts and the sky talus still left me with extra space. The also both cinch down tight when there isn't much stuff in the pack, so no worries with it being floppy and loose when loaded light.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

OP
schmalzy

schmalzy

WKR
Good feedback on the central zipper. Seems like consensus is go with the guide.

OP
schmalzy

schmalzy

WKR
Just picked up a 7900 in the classifieds.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I’m pretty sure the 6900 is SG most sold pack.

I was thinking the 5900 would be. I don’t know though.

It does seem like the 7900 isn’t talked about or reviewed as much which is sort of strange. I love the size and layout of the 7900, I think it’s about the perfect pack for me.

I was thinking the 5900 would be. I don’t know though.

It does seem like the 7900 isn’t talked about or reviewed as much which is sort of strange. I love the size and layout of the 7900, I think it’s about the perfect pack for me.

Do you think its to big for 7 day trips? I normally do not have trips more than 7 days. i have used the sky archer 6400 and the 6900 and I was always full.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Do you think its to big for 7 day trips? I normally do not have trips more than 7 days. i have used the sky archer 6400 and the 6900 and I was always full.
Nope, the bags compress down really well. I like having extra space in case I want to do a longer trip, winter trip or if for some reason I have to pack and go really quickly, I won't have to be as meticuluous with how I pack.

OP
schmalzy

schmalzy

WKR
Nope, the bags compress down really well. I like having extra space in case I want to do a longer trip, winter trip or if for some reason I have to pack and go really quickly, I won't have to be as meticuluous with how I pack.

Being able to pack up a littler quicker went into my decision making process.

Have you day hunted at all with it or is it just too much? Contemplating selling my solo depending on how well the 7900 compresses.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I have not day hunted with it but not because I wouldnt. It would be just fine for hunting out of a camp. I just have not had the chance to use it yet like that and when I head out just for the day, I usually grab my 14er.

My one hesitation for the 7900 is i like to strap bow to front of pack on hike in and the 6900 or 6400 flatter without a pocket and seem better for strapping bow to.

OP
schmalzy

schmalzy

WKR
Just got it in today. Compresses crazy good for a 7900 pack. Haven’t loaded anything up yet just getting it set on frame.