SL5 Questions

rye_a

Lil-Rokslider
I'm very seriously thinking about picking up a SL5, but there are two things that concern me about the shelter:

First, my wife and I use a double sleeping bag when we camp; is there room between the center pole and the wall of the tent for two people?

Second, I have looked at a 9' by 9' area, and have come to the conclusion that the footprint is HUGE. Does anyone with the tent run into problems finding a site that will work for such a large shelter?

a3dhunter

WKR
I had mine setup over the weekend, and IMO it would not be comfortable being against the wall trying to fit a double bag in there.

The versatility of not having a floor makes it easier to pitch in my opinion, don't think the 9x9 is that much of a problem.

IAHNTR

WKR
I have seen in pictures where the center pole was at an angle to accommodate sleeping 2 wide. I know Luke and Becca do it.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Ryan,

Easily, my wife and I sleep in a double sleeping bag in a MLD duo nest for over 50 nights in our SL5 setup. In fact we even had my sis and bro in law in a double bag on the other side of the pole.

Here is the setup with the double pad/bags on one side inside the nest and the other 60 sq ft free to hangout stow gear, drink some vino, play cards, and cook in :D

SANY0764.jpg

SANY0765.jpg

All up the setup is sub 4 pounds easily even with 19 stakes and guyout lines, seam sealing, the nest and the fly, so long as you leave the 3/4 pound center pole at home.

Mike P

FNG
heres a link to the video Luke did on the pole adapter setup...

http://vimeo.com/40135925

Also to answer you original question, there is lots of room to sleep two on each side. We use ours with the wife, two kids, me and the dog and still have room for all our gear.

Cheers,

Mike

swat8888

WKR
Luke....I just picked up an SL5...unfortunately I live in southern AZ right now with a bunch of rocks for a yard= haven't set the tent up yet. It comes with 8 stakes...how many do you recommend taking up in AK? I will not be using a nest, so if you use any for that don't add those into the total count. Thanks

a3dhunter

WKR
Luke, you two are some small people IMO...
Maybe I just like my space a little more, but I sure wouldn't want to try. Maybe with slanting the pole or something.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Luke, you two are some small people IMO...
Maybe I just like my space a little more, but I sure wouldn't want to try. Maybe with slanting the pole or something.

True, we aren't the biggest folks around (there is a joke in the family about being "Moffat sized"), but the bro-in law Luke referred to above is a former all state wrestling champ, built pretty solidly with broad shoulders and he fit fine with my sis in law in a double bag. I guess it might feel tight if you really like your space...not sure I would want to sleep in a space that size with someone I didn't like :) Our sleeping pads (and most other standard size ones) are about 20" wide, so the two coupled together are about twice that. The duomid innernet we use is 50" wide, and easily fits between the wall and center pole with at least 5 inches to spare on either side (we often put rifles or other gear between the far wall of the nest and the tent at night). Remember too, we dont usually get into the nest till we are actually ready to sleep, otherwise We sit around on the other half of the tent, often on a z-lite pad. Totally a personal preference, but we have been more than comfortable with this set up...

Last edited:

shanevg

WKR
Ryan,

Easily, my wife and I sleep in a double sleeping bag in a MLD duo nest for over 50 nights in our SL5 setup. In fact we even had my sis and bro in law in a double bag on the other side of the pole.

Here is the setup with the double pad/bags on one side inside the nest and the other 60 sq ft free to hangout stow gear, drink some vino, play cards, and cook in :D

SANY0764.jpg

SANY0765.jpg

All up the setup is sub 4 pounds easily even with 19 stakes and guyout lines, seam sealing, the nest and the fly, so long as you leave the 3/4 pound center pole at home.

I've been looking at an SL5 for years but just haven't needed a new tent yet so haven't purchased one. Luke - is that the SL5 nest or an SL3 nest in the SL5 rainfly? I always just assumed the nest would fill up the whole fly but I really like the way you have it set up.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've been looking at an SL5 for years but just haven't needed a new tent yet so haven't purchased one. Luke - is that the SL5 nest or an SL3 nest in the SL5 rainfly? I always just assumed the nest would fill up the whole fly but I really like the way you have it set up.

It's actually neither, though we have both the SL4 and SL5 nest in our gear closet too. It's a Duomid Innernet made by Mountain Laurel Designs....we talked more about it in this thread, see post #20: http://www.rokslide.com/forums/showthread.php?260-Go-Lite-Shangri-La-5&highlight=Shangrila

luke moffat

Super Moderator
AD3,

Like Becca said my bro-in law was all American Heavyweight wrestler out for Columbia in New York, not a small dude at all and there was plenty of room for he and my sister on the other side of the pole. Keep in mind that its 9.5'X9.5' square. Even if you lop off 8" from either side you are looking at 100" of usable space or 50" on either side of the pole so 2 20" pads fit with ease on either side with 10" gap in the middle.

Swat888,

I have tied guyout lines to all the extra guyout points that are provided on the tent. I belive that if you use every guy out point its about 19 stakes. I recently switch a lot of those stakes from MSR groundhogs to Hilleberg vipers due to the smoking deal someone on here provided and it saved me about half a pound I believe over all. I also carry 4 stakes in addition to the 19 to setup the nest. You really only need 4 stakes to setup the fly, but I always carry along all the stakes I need in the event the weather might change and we'd need them.

Shane,

Look into the Mount Lauel Designs Duomid nest. Its only 14 oz so a lot lighter than the golite nests and fits us just fine. Probably would want a larger nest if going with a buddy though. :D But thats when I just take bivy sacks anyways. I do have the SL5 nest and use it in teh SL5 fly when 3 or 4 of us are going to be using the tent though.

Hope that helps.