SLC 15x56 vs razor UHD 18x56 vs conquest hd 15x56 comparison

OP
Dioni A

Dioni A

Basque Assassin
Hey Dioni, any updates to this review now?
True to my typical form I stumbled into a set of El 12s to try and sold the zeiss 15s to fund them. I ran them for a couple weeks but found myself doing a lot more off hand glassing than tripod. The 12s were incredible optically but really need to be run on a tripod. I also didn't see myself carrying a 12x el and my trusty 10x slc so I sold the Els and figured I'd pick up Swarovski 15s at a later date. Now I have NL pure fever and all my optics plans are out the window. I think I need to start a go fund me for optics addiction treatment.

True to my typical form I stumbled into a set of El 12s to try and sold the zeiss 15s to fund them. I ran them for a couple weeks but found myself doing a lot more off hand glassing than tripod. The 12s were incredible optically but really need to be run on a tripod. I also didn't see myself carrying a 12x el and my trusty 10x slc so I sold the Els and figured I'd pick up Swarovski 15s at a later date. Now I have NL pure fever and all my optics plans are out the window. I think I need to start a go fund me for optics addiction treatment.
I ended up getting a pair of the Zeiss 15's. The Pure's really are incredible based on the 10's I looked at last week.

dtrkyman

WKR
I was dreaming of having quality 15s or 18s yesterday glassing a Coues in the shade, I got luck and caught him move, but he melted away laying in that shade and I could barely make him out knowing exactly where he was.

This post made me wonder if the 18x would be worth the extra magnification, seemingly not? Top of my list currently are Meopta 15s as of now.

I had a friends 15 Swaros , did not spend much time with them but I was not blown away by them at all. Surprised me actually and wondered if there was an issue with them honestly?

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
How I missed this thread is beyond me. Good job Dioni. Answered lots of guys questions.

I did a YouTube review on the Swaros versus the Vortex a few years back, and yeah while the Swaros won overall, I was surprised at how close the Vortex came.

If I remember right, Vortex even beat the Swaros in a category or two.

Ultimately I use my Swaros a lot more, but I’ve held onto those Vortex and use them occasionally, they’re great to have a long when a friend doesn’t have any. I’ve even loaned them out to a few roksliders who’ve been pretty happy with them.

How I missed this thread is beyond me. Good job Dioni. Answered lots of guys questions.

I did a YouTube review on the Swaros versus the Vortex a few years back, and yeah while the Swaros won overall, I was surprised at how close the Vortex came.

Ultimately I use my Swaros a lot more, but I’ve held onto those Vortex and use them occasionally, they’re great to have a long when a friend doesn’t have any. I’ve even loaned them out to a few roksliders who’ve been pretty happy with them.
I really wanted to see the Maven B5's thrown into the mix like you did with your video, Robbie.

Good to know you guys think highly of those UHDs, I’ve been feeling under glassed with only 10x42s in some of the areas I’ve been in lately and 15x or 18x binos are sounding very nice. I’m really curious how the 12x NL Pure stacks up against the 15x SLC HD though.

I know there is a YouTube video by epic outdoors
with a direct comparison of the non HD 15x SLCs vs the 12x pures, but man I just don’t think it’s relevant without the HD SLC glass. Big reason I care is because I’m really curious if replacing my 10x42 ELs and Kowa 554 with the 12x42 NL Pure is a good compromise. If the clarity difference between the 12x NL and the 15x56 is that noticeable, I’d pick the NL every time!

b18471c48c471fa90e4b58a80f396ffd.png

*screenshot from Epic Outdoors YouTube video clarity difference btwn the NL and SLC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Dioni A

Dioni A

Basque Assassin
I've had 8x nl Pures next to my 10x hd SLC's and it was a dramatic difference. I spent like 2 minutes trying to re focus my slc until I realized they just weren't as clear. I've owned Els and never felt the slc was inadequate. These did. Not exactly what your looking for but I would say you can draw a fair comparison.

Dang id love to see the maven B5 in this comparison.
I highly doubt ill be able to make a purchase until next year but im down to the B5 or used slc at this point.
Glad you were honest about the ziess, they can be found for a decent price and were in my consideration before.
Right now I have 10 Els and an Sts 80hd but I never take the spotter with me and have it posted for sale. I'm never gonna hold out for a larger animal anyway.😉

OP
Dioni A

Dioni A

Basque Assassin
Dang id love to see the maven B5 in this comparison.
I highly doubt ill be able to make a purchase until next year but im down to the B5 or used slc at this point.
Glad you were honest about the ziess, they can be found for a decent price and were in my consideration before.
Right now I have 10 Els and an Sts 80hd but I never take the spotter with me and have it posted for sale. I'm never gonna hold out for a larger animal anyway.😉
I'll see if I can bum a pair of those maven 15s from someone and borrow the Swarovskis again then do an update.

I've had 8x nl Pures next to my 10x hd SLC's and it was a dramatic difference. I spent like 2 minutes trying to re focus my slc until I realized they just weren't as clear. I've owned Els and never felt the slc was inadequate. These did. Not exactly what your looking for but I would say you can draw a fair comparison.

That’s really interesting and definitely leans me towards the NL12x42 as a do it all setup. I just need to get behind some NLs first it sounds like. Thanks for the help!

OP
Dioni A

Dioni A

Basque Assassin
That’s really interesting and definitely leans me towards the NL12x42 as a do it all setup. I just need to get behind some NLs first it sounds like. Thanks for the help!

As skeptical as I naturally am I couldn't believe they would be as good as everyone says they are. They are that good! I'm not good enough with words to describe it but it was life changing.

So this is heating up for me.
My sts 80 sold.
So I had it for 5 years and only took it hunting 5 ish days. I used the spotter more for verifying elk shed before id cross a drainage.
My girlfriend laughs when I tell her I'm gonna hold out for a bigger animal.
With these parameters im thinking 15s and a better tripod and head is the way to go for me.?
What say everyone.
I'm still torn Slc vs B5

db.cannon

FNG
Classified Approved
thanks for the reviews op. curious to hear if you end up going the nl pure route in the future. I haven't looked through 8x nl's yet, local stores have only had the 10's.

I've tried but personally I can't handle anything over 8x handheld. already have some little 8x32 el's that I love with an outdoorsman stud. leaning toward some 15x to bridge the gap between my 8x and 25x-50x scope. I think the 15's will help the 'scope head' I get from glassing all day with a spotter. Might just drop the spotter for days archery elk hunting too.

all that said, I have my eye on those nl pure 8's as well... I sympathize with the analysis paralysis.

rob_ridge

FNG
I bought slc 15x56 a couple of years ago and they are by far my favorite optic I have ever owned. I can sit behind them for hours with no eye fatigue. I find more deer with them than I ever did previously. I have been able to use them next to the meopta MeoStar 15x56 and I feel the image is better, especially in the shadows and low light.

OP
Dioni A

Dioni A

Basque Assassin
thanks for the reviews op. curious to hear if you end up going the nl pure route in the future. I haven't looked through 8x nl's yet, local stores have only had the 10's.

I've tried but personally I can't handle anything over 8x handheld. already have some little 8x32 el's that I love with an outdoorsman stud. leaning toward some 15x to bridge the gap between my 8x and 25x-50x scope. I think the 15's will help the 'scope head' I get from glassing all day with a spotter. Might just drop the spotter for days archery elk hunting too.

all that said, I have my eye on those nl pure 8's as well... I sympathize with the analysis paralysis.
Sorry I didn't notice this. Yeah I went with nl 10s. Don't have them yet but I've spent time with the 8 and 12 and they're incredible

Thank you for this! I love my Meopta 15x but haven't ran them side by side with the swaro's.