SLC vs EL - Depth of focus

Unoboats

WKR
I have both, I prefer the slc over the el’s due to my astigmatism. The Swaro vision is nice but affects my clarity since I have astigmatism. But along as. Where glasses it doesn’t affect me.

can anyone explain the differences between the el and the slc? I am thining of getting some 10x42 slc's.
I do have the 15x56 slc's now. the 10x42 woud replace a pair of zeiss classic 10x40's.

thanks
tim

Steve C

Lil-Rokslider
According to lots of folks who have high levels of optical knowledge, the thing is depth of focus decreases with increase in magnification. There should be no depth of focus differences in two Swarovski binoculars of the same magnification. However not all binoculars of the same magnification will actually appear to have the same depth to all users. I have not seen a good explanation for this. However, IMO, one thing that will affect individual perceptions of depth is field curvature, and how well the curvature of the users eyes match the curvature of the binocular. It seems that curvature can increase apparent depth. The SLC has some curvature, the SV EL does not. I'm afraid your eyes alone will tell the tale to you. At one point I owned both the SLC 10x42 and the SV EL 10x42. Rolling ball ruined the SV EL for me, but in static viewing I could not see any significant difference in depth, but that is just me YMMV.

The SLC and SV EL have the same level of glass quality and coatings. The differences are in the very expensive flat field eye piece of the EL. Field of view also resides in the eye piece (ocular system) design. Again the simpler eye piece of the SLC gives it little less fov than the EL. Therein lies a bunch of the price difference. Another is that the SLC has less close focus ability than the EL, again due to a simpler and less expensive focus system.

Last edited:
Can't speak to your depth question but can tell ya nothing in more comfortable in my hand during a slow stalk within 200 yards. Can easily hold the SLC in my bad hand.

I hunted in Idaho last week and brought my EL 10x50 binos with me on a tripod. The depth of focus at distance for the ELs was amazing. So was the edge to edge clarity and image, just exceptional. Unfortunately I haven't used SLC binoculars so I don't have a comparison for you. I was going to get SLC binos before a pair of like-new demo EL's came up for sale that I couldn't pass up.