Search for SLC replacement options ended up with Kowa Genesis

I waited too long to make the jump to "Alpha" binoculars. With the SLC 42's discontinued.What is an optic I can buy new in the $1000-1500 range that would perform like the SLC? I know I can buy used glass but just wondering what if anything will fill that price point and still be considered Alpha.

Spoonman

WKR
You could look at Zeiss conquest, Leupold santiums, Mavens. Now they may not be as good as the SLC’s but all are pretty damn good. Go to a place that might have the SLC’s and say maybe the Leupold sand go outside and look through both and see what you think. Not everyone will see the differences in glass that other might see.

Sonoman

FNG
Third the kowa Genesis. Have a pair and really like them. Cameralandny is where I got mine. Great guys to deal with.

Keep saving, and keep an eye on eurooptic.com. They have good deals on demo optics. A month ago they had slc 10x42 for $1,300. Very temping not to buy. I just sold my conquests. They are nice, but not in the same league as slc much less el’s. Having top shelf optics is as close as you can get to having super hero vision!!!

Hoodie

WKR
Nikon Monarch HG and Maven B series are also very good. Meostar HD is another value in that range.

Last edited:

JGRaider

WKR
Love the Meostar's, and have them as well as the SLC's. Always love the "they're just as good as the SLC's comments too, when in fact if they were all the exact same price, I'd guess the SLC's would be the first pick 95% of the time.

OP
Iawalleyeguy
Seems there are lots of options. Does anyone else find it strange that Swaro dropped the SLC when it is seemingly such a popular model? Is there any word if they will drop a new full size model into that price point? It seems they are missing out on the $1500 guys as there is no way for the common guy to justify $3000 NL's unless they actually help them make money!

Hoodie

WKR

Also the SLC is basically still being made. Kahles (which Swarovski owns) is selling them as the Helia S. Same optics, just different armor.

Hoodie

WKR
The OP in thread I posted outlined how he got his. I believe it was through a site called Optics Trade. Not sure on the particulars.

There have been a few SLC posted in the classifieds lately as well.

Idk about “considered alpha”

But I’ve had the newest SLCs and now have trinovids and I like the leicas just as much and has the money to buy a kestrel and a ranger with the difference ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

OP
Iawalleyeguy
I did find the Kahles Helia s available from optics trade $1409 plus $140 for shipping and all customs fees. I guess for that price I'd rather find another option. I wouldn't want to have to send them to Europe if something did happen!

OP
Iawalleyeguy
I've been intrigued by the Leica Trinovid HDs but all I ever hear about them is the old version was better.

Hoodie

WKR