SLDMTN 2021 Hunt Compilation

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
First up this spring was bears.

Spot and stalk was a game of cat and mouse up in the alpine. We found an absolute dandy black bear feeding on early spring greens. He zigged and we zagged until it was getting late. I’m still not sure where he went but he gave us the slip.

5cRwcgN.jpg

xl8pbwn.jpg

We got a late start to baiting and had a really weird season. The bears just never really showed up which was odd. The previous year in the exact same spot they were crawling in from every angle. The only opportunity we had at a bear was squandered by me second guessing if my youngest was ready to shoot. By the time we got squared away the bear had moved off and never gave us another shot. We had a blast and that’s all that matters to me.

ouabo7p.jpg

fkfj52U.jpg

Through the summer we scouted and trained in preparation for youth sheep season.

4MsOAP6.jpg

On one of our scouting trips we found the ram I was hoping to get my girls on that fall. Unfortunately he was at the bottom of an avalanche.

Ek7vOuL.jpg

oJK76wO.jpg

You owe it to yourself to give these breakfasts a try from Alpen Fuel. I’m not paid by them, given free meals, no discount codes, they’re just great food that can be eaten hot or cold.

VAqO6JF.jpg

With my mom having drawn a great tag, I coordinated with a buddy of mine for some aerial scouting.

5KG9W4H.jpg

R73giG1.jpg

Just before youth sheep kicked off I finally got around to finishing Aubrey’s ram from 2020.

7bi9ren.jpg

For the youth season @B_Reynolds_AK joined us during part of it. While it didn’t end with a ram, we had loads of fun and saw some rams that hopefully get another year or two to grow.

QY0BWEx.jpg

UX61Wky.jpg

HtGiqmS.jpg

Last edited:
OP
SLDMTN

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
Meanwhile in a different mountain range my nephew was able to take his first ram.

voturZ8.jpg

Taking a few days off to regroup, mom’s sheep tag was next. Weather had turned lousy and we struggled to line up a flight in. Given my folks’ level of fitness we decided to go full send and just hike in.

uQ4m01U.jpg

Hiking well into the following day, we slept a couple hours and laced ‘em up again. Early in the day we turned up a couple of small rams but nothing we were looking for.

f1rgHay.jpg

Something caught my eye at our 3:00 and I looked up to see our target ram dead locked on us. Well crap…

We gathered our things and walked straight back the way we had come until we were well out of sight. Circling around we made a mad dash to the high ridge above where he had been watching us from.

VxDNgYc.jpg

gYIYLFM.jpg

Spotting the ram again, we needed to close the distance. Scooting down the hill on our butts got us to 309 yards and no further. The angle of the hill made the bipod useless so we got the gun propped up on my knee.

bX0edGp.jpg

Talking mom through that shot and having it connect on the first attempt will forever be etched into my mind. Boom, thwack! She was convinced she had missed. A hunched back and raised leg said otherwise.

87I4WGe.jpg

This was just before their 63rd and 65th birthdays.

Knowing just how far the pack out was going to be and knowing who was going to be carrying the bulk of the weight, we called in reinforcements.

ja2FGwl.jpg

When mom got her sheep sealed at ADFG, they mentioned that caribou was going to be closing shortly. Knowing one sheep wouldn’t tide them over for long, they regrouped and headed back out while I went back to work. The following day I got the caribou down text so I boogied out to help.

08irzuL.jpg

RCMEdhv.jpg

OP
SLDMTN

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
While I had planned to guide a late season moose hunt, another guide had come into some serious misfortune which left the outfitter scrambling to find help. Having extra days of leave left because mom’s hunt went so well, I was able to step in and cover.

The clients were a couple from Florida up for a sheep/moose/bear combo adventure. With great attitudes and weather that cooperated we had a fantastic trip. In six days we were tagged out. First up was a ram, then a bear from sheep camp. After relocating we were able to connect on a great bull as well.

2VrdsIi.jpg

uHKPlvG.jpg

Igdgw3L.jpg

0mhXHV3.jpg

NmKcHmQ.jpg

We were busy!

Coming home again for a few weeks gave me a chance to regroup before headed back out once more with my original moose client; a big logger from Wisconsin.

Unlike the first hunt where everything just fell into place, we worked hard for this bull.

3jJj3Y9.jpg

1pzawPZ.jpg

PdXRt2V.jpg

ufhik0R.jpg

As always, it’s a real test to see just how much adventure you can get with only three weeks of leave each year. I’d say we did alright.​

hobbes

WKR
Awesome animals too. That's incredible that your folks are making it out like that. Congrats to your mom.

PNWGATOR

WKR
Living the AK dream! WELL done.

Thanks for sharing and looking forward to your ‘22 adventures.

cod007

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all that. You are in some really nice country. Great pics. As I see u with parents my age after sheep, and a daughter after sheep, makes me wonder if I could add that to my repertoire?
Love that kind of country you’re in.

OP
SLDMTN

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for all that. You are in some really nice country. Great pics. As I see u with parents my age after sheep, and a daughter after sheep, makes me wonder if I could add that to my repertoire?
Love that kind of country you’re in.
Whether you think you can or think you can’t, you’re right. Go for it 👍🏼