Sleep apnea and Backpacking

Bigjay73

Lil-Rokslider
Why is it that important to you? Seriously just asking. I can do without it and take a few naps during the day. My SA is moderate, whatever that means

My wife uses a cpap. She bought a battery unit for hers that she uses when we go camping. I would not want to carry that machine and battery on a backpack hunt. Too much weight and bulk.

I'm not answering for the OP here....aaand I'm not a medical doctor. The reasons to be concerned about sleep apnea go way beyond loss of sleep and tiredness. Every occurrence of apnea (over 10 seconds) causes blood O2 levels to drop. In response, blood pressure typically elevates and so does heart rate. Cardiac arrhythmias often occur during sleep apnea; both atrial and ventricular. Atrial fib (Afib) is particularly troublesome because once it develops it tends to be persistent. The bottom line is to not think there's a way to ignore SA and get by. The price might not be known until later, but it could be a high one.

flyon

FNG
Dental technician here..

The oral appliances that I recommend most often are the Somnodent, Tap III, Panthera, and EMA.

A take home sleep study unit will be able to tell whether you are a likely candidate for oral appliance therapy.

Check out the Zephyr matrx system.

I often hear of patients that dropped their existing CPAP machines and only use appliance therapy now.

bbell

WKR
I definitely need to look into this. I am 34 and was diagnosed with SA last year. I think I fell into the moderate category. Doctor was geeked out about my results cause I had around 5 episodes over the night that went over 1min. My longest was 1min 27sec😬. Use my machine but it’s a pain to pack. Would love to use a mouth piece on occasion.

Bigjay73

Lil-Rokslider
I'm not answering for the OP here....aaand I'm not a medical doctor. The reasons to be concerned about sleep apnea go way beyond loss of sleep and tiredness. Every occurrence of apnea (over 10 seconds) causes blood O2 levels to drop. In response, blood pressure typically elevates and so does heart rate. Cardiac arrhythmias often occur during sleep apnea; both atrial and ventricular. Atrial fib (Afib) is particularly troublesome because once it develops it tends to be persistent. The bottom line is to not think there's a way to ignore SA and get by. The price might not be known until later, but it could be a high one.
Oh I completely agree that it is a very serious issue, just not sure if 5 days without it is that much of a concern unless you're debilitated by it, which maybe some are.

My wife would sit there and listen to me stop breathing for sometimes 30 sec. and sound like a drowning victim coming back to life.

And you were probably blissfully unaware any of it was happening. At least that's been the general consensus of the guys I've made aware of it. My first experience with it (a good friend) was extremely disturbing. He would snore like crazy and then struggle to keep snoring. Each snoring breath would get shorter and more occluded....then suddenly nothing.....hold your breath.....forever....until a sudden gasp for air. I hardly slept while this was happening. This guy was in great shape too. No excess weight and avid outdoorsman. Having sleep apnea is something like having vision changes. You often don't notice it until it becomes a problem. You didn't cause it....it happens.

SA is totally about airway collapse/obstruction. Sleeping position, head support, pillows, and many things can affect it. I suppose there's a chance that a guy sleeping in camp might actually not have as many or frequent episodes as at home in bed with a big pillow. The problem is not knowing or being aware.

One last thing is to avoid muscle relaxers and that includes alcohol. Having 2 or 3 drinks an hour or so before sleep can dramatically increase the likelihood of apneic episodes. Drink lightly, if at all.

Pk_in_Dallas

Lil-Rokslider
I have been diagnosed with sleep apnea about 10 years ago. I can count on one hand how many times I have slept without my cpap since I was diagnosed.

Hunting in the backcountry with sleep apnea poses a few challenges but they can be overcome. I use a Goalzero Sherpa 100 along with a solar unit to power it back up. Keep in mind that you need cpap with the 12v power cord to plug directly into the unit vs converting a regular power cord because that drains the Goalzero very quickly.

I haven’t found any dental device that works for me to be anywhere near as effective as cpap.

Check out this link.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bigjay73

Lil-Rokslider
Last trip to have my appliance adjusted, the dr had me download an app called snore lab. It monitors any sounds you make during the night and rates your sleep. Check it out of you think you may have sleep issues. It is in no way a sub for a sleep study, but it should be an eye opener for you. Dont mess around with sleep apnea

I have severe sleep apnea. My friends laugh at me because I drag around a marine battery to power my machine when I go camping. In the backcountry, I sleep on my side and hope I'll wake up in the morning. Thank you to the op for starting this thread, I'm going to look into some of the suggestions posted.

Try pitching a hammock and sleep more upright versus laying down. I know people that have sleep apnea that transitioned to hammocks for every night sleeping at home and have no more incidences. It's worth a try plus its miles more comfortable

I am going to do a home sleep study tonight, and go from there. However, I take magnesium for a few reasons. But it takes the edge off, makes me tired, relaxes me, and simply helps me fall and stay asleep. Straight magnesium will give you the runs, while magnesium-citrate does the opposite. The key is getting your dosage down. I take 500mg of magnesium citrate and 400mg magnesium at night and 400mg magnesium in the morning. Anything more in the morning leaves me wanting to fall asleep all day. The magnesium and magnesium citrate doesn't seem to do anything for my sleep apnea, but it does make a big difference in me feeling rested, although that can still improve significantly.

cdg097

FNG
I’d love to find an alternative as well. I have severe sleep apnea, but a CPAP does absolutely zero for me, but that is due to other reasons. I fall asleep with it just fine, but I wake up a lot throughout the night due to pain (multiple spine surgeries), and once I wake up the first time, I won’t fall back asleep with the CPAP. I’ve tried multiple oral devices as well including the Zyppah without success. I’ll be going back to the doctor here soon to try and figure out another option, however working with the VA is like watching paint dry. Never fast.

dano626

FNG
Z1 mini Cpap and the goal zero sherpa 100 works for me. Two nights off that battery and Solar panels to charge battery if needing more nights.

Bigjay73

Lil-Rokslider
I’d love to find an alternative as well. I have severe sleep apnea, but a CPAP does absolutely zero for me, but that is due to other reasons. I fall asleep with it just fine, but I wake up a lot throughout the night due to pain (multiple spine surgeries), and once I wake up the first time, I won’t fall back asleep with the CPAP. I’ve tried multiple oral devices as well including the Zyppah without success. I’ll be going back to the doctor here soon to try and figure out another option, however working with the VA is like watching paint dry. Never fast.
That sucks man, I had the same issue with CPAP, wake up an hour in and can't fall back asleep. Have you checked if they cover the implant?

cdg097

FNG
That sucks man, I had the same issue with CPAP, wake up an hour in and can't fall back asleep. Have you checked if they cover the implant?

What is the implant you’re speaking of? I will have to ask about it next time I’m in there.

mlebarre

FNG
I have never had luck with over the counter mouth guards, for someone like me who is on the lower end of episodes per hour I found the best thing was to try to force myself to sleep longer at night. Seemed to work last fall to maintain performance during the day