Sleep apnea and Backpacking

T28w

WKR
It’s not that it won’t “work” for severe cases. It’s that it will most likely not reduce events to the desired level.
It’s been a couple years since I have made someone one of these appliance so I’m by no means an expert on this matter but if I remember correctly the goal was to get below 7 events per hour for the treatment to be “successful.” If they are having 100 events per hour and an oral appliance drops that number to 20-25, it has helped but the goal is to get it lower. Ideally you would have a sleep study with the appliance to test its effectiveness.
I still think it is worth looking into if hauling a cpap is not an option.

I have the Human Design Medical Z1 portable cpap. The system without the battery fits in a large kifaru pullout. For the battery I went big. I got Expion 360 EXP 72Pro (3.3 LBS) and keep a cheaper on 50,000 mAh in the truck as a spare. Get a battery that has a cigarette cigarette lighter port in it as that works the best. I can get 4-5 days out of it depending amount of sleep time. I also have a solar panel that I haven't gotten to try. Total weight, in pack, is 4.56lbs and worth every ounce!

Hoot

WKR
I have the Human Design Medical Z1 portable cpap. The system without the battery fits in a large kifaru pullout. For the battery I went big. I got Expion 360 EXP 72Pro (3.3 LBS) and keep a cheaper on 50,000 mAh in the truck as a spare. Get a battery that has a cigarette cigarette lighter port in it as that works the best. I can get 4-5 days out of it depending amount of sleep time. I also have a solar panel that I haven't gotten to try. Total weight, in pack, is 4.56lbs and worth every ounce!
Thanks for that, I think one of those batteries in series with my “2 night” battery and a solar panel might just be the ticket...
If I could get 5 nights for 5lbs I would be a happy camper!

Shraggs

WKR
I did a detailed thread on this last year, I’ve done 5 years now with severe sleep apnea.

I use the hdm z1 auto pap per my prescription. It auto senses elevation and adjusts. It’s a great tiny machine. I use the goal zero Sherpa 50 which is being phased out. At one pound they last 16 hours but may decline 50% at or below freezing. With a hand warmer stuck to it I can get it to 75%. 2 6 hour nights. I have the nomad 20 to charge in field. Smaller versions won’t charge in real world use. I have three power packs but don’t take all of them. The link is cigarette male and female. Cords are messy but the system works.

I would love to try a dental appliance —- but at three grand or so and I have 47 events per hour they only way to know is try. I’ve been afraid to spend that on limited evidence for severe obstructive apnea. I’ve read it can be effective on mild to moderate, and certainly worth trying then for a week in the bush.

Be interested in any new evidence!?

Werty

WKR
I have a serious question! How many people here with sleep apnea, if you couldn't take your machine on a hunt. Would you still go?

Shraggs

WKR
No I would not go! My apnea is so severe it could be life threatening if I’m high enough in elevation, in my research. If not how long can you be functional and safe with absolutely zero sleep and those kinds of rigors...

Alaska 4x4 Rentals

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Same here. I’m absolutely useless without my machine and I feel like I got hit by a semi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bigjay73

Lil-Rokslider
I've never gone with a machine or appliance. At home I'm a mess, but I'm extra motivated while hunting, and just push through. Naps are so much better in the mountains anyways lol

Bigjay73

Lil-Rokslider
I did a detailed thread on this last year, I’ve done 5 years now with severe sleep apnea.

I use the hdm z1 auto pap per my prescription. It auto senses elevation and adjusts. It’s a great tiny machine. I use the goal zero Sherpa 50 which is being phased out. At one pound they last 16 hours but may decline 50% at or below freezing. With a hand warmer stuck to it I can get it to 75%. 2 6 hour nights. I have the nomad 20 to charge in field. Smaller versions won’t charge in real world use. I have three power packs but don’t take all of them. The link is cigarette male and female. Cords are messy but the system works.

I would love to try a dental appliance —- but at three grand or so and I have 47 events per hour they only way to know is try. I’ve been afraid to spend that on limited evidence for severe obstructive apnea. I’ve read it can be effective on mild to moderate, and certainly worth trying then for a week in the bush.

Be interested in any new evidence!?
My appliance was only 600 with insurance. Maybe find another dentist?

Shraggs

WKR
ha i wish, my insurance won't cover alternative or additional methods if cpap therapy works then they won't cover an additional device in other words

Hoot

WKR
going without is not an option for me either, I havent been able to hunt the places i used to as a kid, because by the time i get in there, i only have a full day and a morning to hunt before I gotta go back out and recharge batteries.

I was just telling my wife the other day that technology is advancing so rapidly everywhere else, and OSA is becoming so prevalent in our population, (its no longer thought of as something only overweight people have/get), it is only a matter of time before they start coming up with alternative methods to treat or cure the ailment.

I have had extensive surgery, and still have an extreme case, I am going to play around with 2 of the 72000 mAh batteries mentioned above and see if I can get a week out of them, should be right at 7 pounds if I calculate everything correctly...

Bigjay73

Lil-Rokslider
going without is not an option for me either, I havent been able to hunt the places i used to as a kid, because by the time i get in there, i only have a full day and a morning to hunt before I gotta go back out and recharge batteries.

I was just telling my wife the other day that technology is advancing so rapidly everywhere else, and OSA is becoming so prevalent in our population, (its no longer thought of as something only overweight people have/get), it is only a matter of time before they start coming up with alternative methods to treat or cure the ailment.

I have had extensive surgery, and still have an extreme case, I am going to play around with 2 of the 72000 mAh batteries mentioned above and see if I can get a week out of them, should be right at 7 pounds if I calculate everything correctly...
They wanted to so surgery on me, it sounded horrible. Your post makes me glad I didn't go through with it.

Bigjay73

Lil-Rokslider

Alternative method. Not sure how well it works, but it's a start. Maybe in 5 to 10 years it will be perfected

brimow

Lil-Rokslider
Good thread. I am moderate but having better sleep would sure help while hunting. I guess I need to look into some of the battery options that have been mentioned here. I have not found anything that will get more than a night.

Hoot

WKR

Alternative method. Not sure how well it works, but it's a start. Maybe in 5 to 10 years it will be perfected

That is the device I am going to talk to my doctor about this late winter. I had the surgery 6 years ago, tonsils, adenoids, and uvula removed, deviated septum fixed, and nasal turbinates resection. It was super painful and in the end it didnt do much to help. My doctor cut out a lot of tissue hoping that he would make my life better, but in the end the only thing it did is make it so I cant clear my throat/hawk a loogie very well any more, although I do breath a little better through my nose now. He said the only other thing he could do is remove part of my tongue and even then it might not fix it.

All that said, I am still glad I got the surgery, as I have had far fewer sinus infections and no strep throat infections since...

MtGoat

FNG
I had the sleep study and an oral appliance (snore guard) made for when I was traveling.
It cost alot but insurance covered a good portion of the cost.
The appliance thrusts your lower jaw forward to keep your airway open.
They do a sleep study a second time and adjust the length of the connecting pieces to find the sweet spot.
The appliance is fitted to the top and bottom teeth.
I would be cautious on making your own without a dentist or sleep doctor involved.

Pat

I don't have sleep apnea, but nevertheless am interested in this topic. I have several friends who have SA, and I've spent time with guys who have it and don't recognize it. I've helped a couple of them become aware of their SA and encouraged them to get it treated. What used to be thought of as 'just snoring' is sometimes a bigger threat.

If I was a guy with SA, I would never spend a night anywhere without my indicated appliance. In fact, I'd likely treat that appliance like a very critical piece of hunting gear. Whatever the weight....that would be a non-optional part of every hunt.

Shraggs

WKR
I don't have sleep apnea, but nevertheless am interested in this topic. I have several friends who have SA, and I've spent time with guys who have it and don't recognize it. I've helped a couple of them become aware of their SA and encouraged them to get it treated. What used to be thought of as 'just snoring' is sometimes a bigger threat.

If I was a guy with SA, I would never spend a night anywhere without my indicated appliance. In fact, I'd likely treat that appliance like a very critical piece of hunting gear. Whatever the weight....that would be a non-optional part of every hunt.

Exactly. It’s my most important equipment