Sleep help!

So when I backpack I always have to pack an air matress.. its the only thing Ive found the allows me any comfort while sleeping. The matress is "just" a twin but its still heavy and I have to pack a hand pump etc. Basically huge pain and weight.. so is there any options for a guy with bad shoulders for a comfortable similar set up to what Im using? In the past I was over 320lbs but now im about 195..

jherald

WKR
My dad has bad shoulders and is a back sleeper. I got him a thermarest neo air xtherm and a thermarest pumpsack. The pumpsack is basically a large stuff sack with a vinyl hole in the bottom. You attach the pumpsack to the air intake and open up the sack, filling it full of air, then squeeze the sack and force the air into the mattress. Its on thermarest website in a how-to video. It sounds complicated but its not it is very easy and simple. The mattress and sack weight next to nothing, under 1.5 lbs. for a regular size and the pumpsack. The mattress blows up to around 2.5 inches thick.

Damn! That sucks, but seriously, there are lots of good sleeping pads out there up to 3" thick that are also insulated, I can't imagine that you can't find something that you'd be happy with, weigh less, and provide more insulation. I think your best bet would be to go through REI, since you can return anything to them that you're not happy with. Go into a store, lay on a few in there, and take one home for a trial run, if you don't like it, take it back and try the next one. Good luck!

Higbean

FNG
If you can sleep on your back, try a hammock. I never want to get out of mine. Just wish I could sleep better in it.

Big Agnes, and Exped would lead my list of "commercial" sleeping pads. Some folks like the Neoairs, personally I find them too loud.
Stevenson's is the only custom cottage manufacturer that I am aware of now that Kook a bay has gone out of business.

tater

WKR
Another vote for the Exped.
Great piece of gear, with a true lifetime warranty.