Sleep Set-Up for November

Dooger

FNG
Looking at a November bowhunt in high desert terrain. Lows could be 5-25 degrees at night. Backpack hunt.

I need a shelter (wouldn’t mind a floor) and possibly a sleeping bag/quilt. I have a 0 degree bag, but it’s a bit heavy to pack for a 5-7 day hunt. The area will have very limited wood, so a wood stove will be of no use on this hunt, but may be usable in the future were I to get a shelter with a stove jack. May need a new sleeping pad too…looking at options.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

I’d go with the 0° bag if you sleep on the cold side. I’d probably bring my 20° and my R 3.4 pad because I sleep warm. Unless you are set on getting a floorless with a stove, a small one man double wall four season tent will be more efficient at holding heat. You could get away with a three season double wall, which is what I have for colder months and what I’d bring. I’d eventually like to get a Hilleberg four season, other things to upgrade first though.

High desert terrain, no wood, probably pretty low chance of precipitation. Do you even need that substantial of a shelter? Could you make a tarp or a bivy sack work?

High desert terrain, no wood, probably pretty low chance of precipitation. Do you even need that substantial of a shelter? Could you make a tarp or a bivy sack work?
I live in the high desert. The wind is what gets you. I’d go with a double wall tent to block the wind and hold some heat. Add 30 mph wind to 10° and it’s a whole new animal.

65EA9C16-29C9-4850-8FB9-77BD2089C47B.png
It depends on what high desert he’s going to. 0° and 40 mph winds aren’t uncommon in November here.

Yes, wind is a factor where I’m going.
In that case I’d definitely go with a double wall tent and bring some bomber stakes. A three season will be a little lighter and a four season will be a little warmer + sturdier. If I were doing that type of trip and buying a shelter for it and similar trips I’d really consider the Hilleberg Akto 1. When I get some other upgrades taken care of I’ll probably add one of those to my collection of tents.

Not sure how much cold weather camping you’ve done. A double wall tent is warmer than a single wall. I’ll take that over the extra weight and hassle of a wood stove in almost every case with the exception of a base camp by the truck.

rootacres

WKR
I’ve taken my SO Cimarron on a few high desert hunts. If it’s just you with gear I’d take the SO LBO. Last December I went to AZ on a Coues hunt and really wanted a floor. So I bought the SO LBO half nest. It worked perfect in my Cimarron. When I was in WY I didn’t use the nest but brought the SO titanium stove. Didn’t use it much in sagebrush country but in the right terrain it would be nice. You can order the SO tents with stove jacks.
07261497-C2C8-4AD0-AC3C-6136837C5B37.jpeg

5EA16EA1-B36B-45EF-9B1D-B329B9C5502B.jpeg