Sleep system advise

Zbowman1

WKR
I'm looking for some advise from you experience sheep hunters. I'm headed to the Brooks Range for a Dall Sheep hunt with my brother in law this August. I purchased a Kifaru 20 degree slick bag in regular/long and a Kifaru quilt and now I cant decide which one I like better. I'm a side sleeper and I feel super confined in the Slick bag but I'm just not sure if the quilt is going to be warm enough. I'll be pairing it with a Thermarest Topo Lux pad (3.7 R value). I realize this is a little subjective so just wondering what others have done or think..

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I would take the bag over the quilt personally. your pad will be fine. I don't worry about weight with my sleep set up as much because I want the most comfortable sleeping arrangement I can have. If I don't sleep, I don't recover and that sucks.

If the quilt thing is more comfortable to you, it is probably worth doing an overnight or 2, it would really suck to be out on your hunt and just freeze every night or not be able to get comfortable because you are forced to sleep with all of your layers on to stay warm.

tdot

WKR
Aren't the Kifaru Quilt and Slick Bag both 2 layers of 3.6oz Apex? If so, then it's really just a hood vs. no hood discussion. I'd take whatever you feel you'd sleep better in. Warmth should be pretty close. I'm a restless/side sleeper and I personally don't own sleeping bags anymore. There is a learning curve with quilts, if you are unfamiliar with them and if you could get out before hand to sort out your system. It would pay dividends in the mountains.

A sleep hood like the Enlightened Equipment Hoodlum can add a bunch of warmth and stays on if you're on your side.

I'd personally bring a mattress with considerably more R Value.

idig4au

WKR
I’ve transitioned from sleep bags to a quilt and haven’t looked back. Admittedly it took a few trips to convince myself and get my sleep system dialed in. I’m not familiar with the Kifaru quilt, but my custom enlightened equipment enigma with 950 down is super comfortable to sleep with. I also have their bedsheet over my Thermorest x-lite pad. I run this in a bivy sack to keep everything contained and clean as I use a floor less shelter.

I suggest trial both of your systems and see what works best. Both will work, just a matter of your preferences.

I am going back to Alaska in August for a sheep hunt and will be using quilt again. Its a 30° EE Convert on a foam pad. A pillow is a bigger deal for sleep than a pad for me.

fatbacks

WKR
I’d suggest taking whatever you’re most comfortable in. Be prepared for really cold weather. I’ve sat in a tent for close to 10 days waiting out a snow storm in the eastern brooks. For me the sleeping bag is your last line of defense against weather.

Personally I use an REI lightweight 20° synthetic bag and then have SG puffy pants and Kifaru puffy jacket to wear inside it if it gets really chilly.

Mid august in the brooks two years ago:
fd1e56092e0771595295ce81a8dfb5c8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am not an experienced sheep hunter but for the one Dall hunt I did in the Brooks last year I was going thru the same questions. I ended up buying a WM 15 degree bag to take but wish i would have taken my EE Revelation 20 degree quilt instead. I just sleep better with a quilt and use it on every hunt out west. If you are also carrying puffy pants and jacket then you should easily stay warm if the weather gets really cold. I never once wore mine in the bag but it was a milder year from what I was told. Enjoy the hunt. Wish I was going again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

AK Shane

Lil-Rokslider
If the quilt is lighter I would run the quilt. I'm running the EE Revelation 10 degree quilt. It's been on a couple sheep hunts. Like other, I also pack puffy pants and jacket and have worn them to bed on freezing nights. You can also zip up your rain jacket and slide it over the toe box for added foot warmth. This also works for keeping moisture off the toe box if you brush against the end of the tent. Everyone has a stocking cap so you don't really need a hood. So my opinion, quilts are lighter and with your other layers as backup you'll stay plenty warm.