Sleep System for 9k ft in NW Wyoming in late Oct

280ack

FNG
All, I am trying to think a few things out about the next trip.
I will be camped at 9,000 ft, canvas tent, small folding stove
I have a down 0 deg Nemo bag and am concerned that this may not be enough
My options are
1. buy a -20 to-30 deg bag at $500 +
2. buy a quilt either synthetic or down, rated to 30 or 40 deg
3. wear mid-wt poly pro tops and bottom and a heavy sock and a beannie

any experiences in similar conditions, how have you dealt with these issues?

neil.hansford

Lil-Rokslider
Assuming you're driving or either horseback into camp given u have a canvas tent. The 0 degree bag will probably be fine, especially if u wear a cap, and tops and bottoms. If you're worried about it, buy a cheap quilt or something to throw over you. I say cheap, because weight shouldn't matter that much if I'm correct about how you're getting there. I would not buy a negative 20 degree bag for that trip.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

mlgc20

WKR
I’ve spent plenty of nights in NW Wyoming between 8K-9.5K in late October. I’ve used a 15 degree bag and a decent sleeping pad. Never had a problem. Never needed or wanted a stove. Although I have built a few campfires. I think you’ll be fine with your 0 degree bag assuming you have a high R value pad.

Fivefuchs

FNG
Using Hot Hands inside your sleeping bag can make a huge difference. A zero degree bag should be plenty warm especially with a canvas tent. Adding layers can help also. I like heating up boiling water inside a nalgene and throwing it towards my feet in my sleeping bag. Keeps you warm at night and the water is ready for breakfast or coffee in the morning (instead of frozen water). I’ve had trips where my drinking water and tooth paste both froze over night. Changed my plans for breakfast and brushing my teeth that morning. I’m a cold sleeper btw.

fmyth

WKR
My options are

Are you sleeping on a cot and on an insulated sleeping pad? If not get a pad with a high insulation rating. I'd use your existing bag w a Sea To Summit bag liner. Wear a base layer and a beanie. Drop a hand warmer in the toebox of your bag before you climb in. Get a wool army surplus blanket to throw over the top if you get cold. I run a Little Buddy Heater on low connected to a 20lb tank. It helps supplement the wood stove and keeps the temps from dropping to zero when the wood stove burns out. A cheap 3x7' rug from Walmart placed alongside my cot really adds to my comfort level when getting dressed at 5am.

OP

280ack

FNG
Assuming you're driving or either horseback into camp given u have a canvas tent. The 0 degree bag will probably be fine, especially if u wear a cap, and tops and bottoms. If you're worried about it, buy a cheap quilt or something to throw over you. I say cheap, because weight shouldn't matter that much if I'm correct about how you're getting there. I would not buy a negative 20 degree bag for that trip.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Yes I will be on a horse, so perhaps a quilt.

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
My options are

You will be comfortable, maybe even a bit warm when the stove is running.

OP

280ack

FNG
All, thanks for the input, I will be on a cot and a foam pad and have another pad as well. I think I will look into a quilt just in case but also will prepare with a beanie of sorts and a sleep layer.

Legend

WKR
Throw some boiling water in a nalgene bottle with zero air space. You will love it....game changer in the backcountry.

Last edited:

Marble

WKR
Yes I will be on a horse, so perhaps a quilt.
Not sure how many horse pads/blankets you got, but I take them off the horse and put them under my bedding. Keeps them out of nature and and extra layer of insulation.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

I get cold feet otherwise i am warm
I have the Western Mountaineering version, but for $25 … these look really good:

https://www.amazon.com/simhoa-Slipp...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

I’m a warm sleeper, but my feet get cold too. These down booties are practically weightless and would solve a cold foot problem for sure. Good luck!

Update: I just ordered a pair of these for my Son since he always comments on mine. I’ll be able to compare and give my thoughts in a week or so!

Last edited: