Sleep System for a Stomach Sleeper?

Jsunkler

Lil-Rokslider
I have a giant sleeping bag and blow up mattress for when I am truck camping, looking for a packing sleeping bag n pad that will accommodate sleeping on my stomach. Have used a Kelty Ignite Dridown 20 and a Exped Synmat a few times with marginal success as I do not like such a tight foot box and the pad is not ideal either

I get a discount on Nemo, Big Agnes, Mountainsmith, Mountain Hardware, Sumberjack, Sierra Designs, and Selk'bag (Experticity), but am open to all suggestions. The Nemo Argali has perked my interest.

Also considering a quilt and an insulated pad

I am 5' 10" and 190, and have thought about buying a longer bag (6'6") to accomodate my stomach sleeping and arm placement, but want to hear what you guys have to say

Last edited:

geriggs

WKR
The big agnes system is really nice. I would recommend at least a 25 in pad. Cant go wrong with the Nemo or Big Agnes pads IMO. The BA bags are rated a little too liberally if you ask me. Im a big guy and went all out. I got the Nemo cosmo 30L insulated. Huge pad....30 in wide. I also bought a Western Mountaineering terra lite with the extender but ended up just using it as a quilt because it was too warm. I slept like a baby but the trade off is a big pad takes up space and weight but i dont mind the extra pound-1.5.

Wildlifer

Lil-Rokslider
I have been pretty happy with the nemo disco and tensor pad. I have plenty of room and turn around and roll over inside the bag.

Btaylor

WKR
I have been pretty happy with the nemo disco and tensor pad. I have plenty of room and turn around and roll over inside the bag.

Have the same bag but a klymit pad and very happy with it. Like said above the bag has plenty of room to move without feeling restricted.

tam9492

WKR
You likely also get the Klymit discount. Check out their Static V Luxe. I've had my eye on the Nemo spoon bags too, but also check out the Backcountry Bed from Sierrra Designs. This is the direction I'm currently leaning.

n2horns

WKR
I stopped using a normal sleeping bag, now i use EE quilt with Exped downmat UL7. I toss and turn all night long from sleeping on side, stomach and my back. I use the pad straps from EE and quilt stays in place. My EE quilt is a long by extra wide. I am 6 with 49 chest and 230

Graves14

WKR
I am almost exactly your height/weight. I also sleep on my stomach or side and found that the Sea to Summit Comfort plus rectangle pad is the absolute most comfortable for me. I like the rectangle shape because my arms stay on the pad even when above my head. I run this with a quilt and it has been fantastic for me.

303TrophyHusband

Lil-Rokslider
I'm pretty close to your specs and sleeping habits too. You probably don't get a discount from them and they are a little heavier than a down bag but the Kifaru slick bags in wide/regular are freakin awesome for stomach sleepers, it was totally worth the money for me, I've slept amazing this year so far. I cut way down on tent weight to accommodate the slick bag and the REI Stratus insulated mat in wide/tall in my backcountry kit. Totally worth it

HookUp

WKR
I am bigger than you at 5'11" 250 lbs and just spent 7 days in the back country with a Nemo Riff and Nemo tensor pad L. I woke up a couple of mornings as comfortable and warm as I am in my own bed. I froze my azz off last year in a REI pod sleeping bag and am 110% satisfied with my sleep system. I never thought being this comfortable in the back country was possible. There is room for days for me to flop around in the bag and on the pad.

n2horns

WKR
sleeping habits differ between people. My hunting buddy can sleep in the cheapest bags, lay on his back all night and never move. I did try the various xtherm and neo air but those were too loud and kept people up as i tossed and turned, hence the Exped. Now if I am going for more comfort, like truck camping or base camp. I bring the Exped Mega Mat, and still can use my EE quilt and bands.