Sleep system recommendations

OP
S
I will check on the sleeping pad for sure. I have read a lot on gear that that makes a big difference so thanks for the reminder. Is there much of a market for used sleeping bag and tent? I suppose if I didn’t use it much more than this once I could always get a better setup and try to sell it later if I didn’t lose much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drenalin

WKR
I'm no expert, but I'd keep the bag you have especially if you think this might be a one and done thing for you. This assumes the bag you have is in good shape, cared for, is true to its temp rating, etc. You could pick up a liner or plan on sleeping in some of your layers if temps get too cold for your bag, though in general you should choose a bag rated for your expected temps. A 20 degree bag seems like a reasonable choice for September to me.

Klymit sells refurbished and factory second pads on ebay pretty cheap. I picked up a refurbished insulated Static V Lite and it's been great so far. That one wouldn't be big enough for you lengthwise, but you should be able to find something on there for under $100.

That would give you $300 left in your budget to buy a tent, which should be plenty doable. If your buddy has about the same budget, I'd recommend adding whatever he has left over after buying a good pad and bag, and going in together on the best tent you can find that's big enough for both of you. If you buy a quality tent, you shouldn't have any trouble reselling it on the classifieds here. I'd keep an eye on Camofire, seems like Big Agnes tents have been coming up on that site pretty regularly.

scfreeman66

Lil-Rokslider
Nobody else mentioned the Luxe minipeak or hexpeak. They would fit your budget and are a quality tent for the price.
I have a Hexpeak XL with a liner and it's nice

Sent from my moto g(7) optimo maxx(XT1955DL) using Tapatalk

hikenhunt

WKR
I get that on 2 tents after everyone has commented about that. I would like to go floored for whatever reason though. I have a Nemo tensor pad now that is comfortable but I need to make sure that it’s the insulated version. Also I was in about 40*, maybe a bit under with the 20* kelty and the first night I was fairly cold but I slept in boxers. The second night I wore my light base and I was plenty warm. But I think it might be good to get a 0* or less bag. I think I could make it work but being cold sucks.

If you want a floored tent, Tarptent has some great lightweight options. I love my protrail.

_Scooter_

Lil-Rokslider
You are way too tall to fit into a Flash Air 1 tent, so take that off of your list. The height of both of you is going to severely limit your choices in tents, either solo tents, or if you split a tent. A two man tent you can sleep on an angle to stay away from hitting end walls, but you can't do that in a one man tent. Unless you get a SoLong6 from LightHeart Gear. One of the very few tents made for really tall people. $400 budget for tent and bag is going to be tough. Sleep gear is one thing you don't want to skimp on. If you don't get good sleep, your hunt is going to be miserable in short order.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Why is he way too tall for a Flash Air? It measures 88 inches long. At 6'4 it should be just fine. 6'4 is 76 inches. the leaves 12".

sneaky

"DADDY"
Why is he way too tall for a Flash Air? It measures 88 inches long. At 6'4 it should be just fine. 6'4 is 76 inches. the leaves 12".
You should probably do a little research and watch some reviews on that tent. I was interested in it til I watched a 6' guy get in one and have his head touching the slope on one end, and his feet on the other. That was just laying on the pad with no sleeping bag. A sleeping bag would be even worse. No thanks. At anything over 6' tall that tent is going to suck and have zero room to put gear inside. Every reviewer says over 6' tall to get the Flash Air 2 if you want useable room without touching the end walls. At 6'4" even that won't feel especially roomy, and his partner at 6'7" if he had one to himself as well would be cramped. The SoLong 6 from Lightheart Gear is specifically made for taller people. It's 100" long with 10" vertical end walls and a sit up height of 45". Flash Air 1 is 21.3 sq ft, SoLong 6 is 30 sq ft. The dual pole support on the SoLong 6 is going to be stronger than the Flash Air 1 with its 1 pole system. Any bad weather will be an adventure in the Flash Air 1. There's better tents on the market in that style than the Flash Air 1, especially for taller guys.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

jmo3663

FNG
I have a Nemo Hornet 2P (which was recently on sale at rei), a Klymit insulated V Ultralite pad (R-4 rating) and an REI 20 degree bag. Been in snow storms and rain storms, weather down to the teens and I've been very comfortable. All can be found, if you look, at around that $200 price range or cheaper. I agree with Swanny, make sure you get a decent insulated pad-it'll make all the difference in the world.

Really I would like to keep it around $200 a piece for the tent and bag but not sure what I can get for that

Trust me, the first time you are stuck in your shelter for any length of time you'd be willing to pay any amount to have a comfortable tent. Buy once-cry once.

OP
S
There are just sooo many options. Hard to decide what is good and needed and what’s not

bsnedeker

WKR
If you want light weight and cheap I would recommend looking into the Dan Durston X-mid 1P tent on Drop. It's around 1.5 pounds and costs 200 bucks. You have to wait until August to get it if your order it right now. Mine is on the way to me so I haven't tried it yet, but the reviews seem very legit. It's only a 1P tent so it will be small inside, but it has 2 vestibules for keeping your gear in. He does make a 2P tent that is a bit more expensive and a bit heavier but will have more room to roll around inside if that is important to you. Both of these tents are trekking pole supported so you want to keep that in mind as well. If you want a free-standing tent it will be heavier unless you want to spend a LOT more money on a dyneema shelter.

As far as a bag just make sure you have an insulated pad, and I would recommend a 15 degree bag to go along with it. You can save a lot of money on a sleeping bag if you can handle a bit more weight in that area. It's better to go heavy on a sleeping bag in late September in MT because it can get cold up in the mountains. Nothing worse than trying to sleep when you are freezing.