Sleep System Size

sparelink

FNG
Looking at all my gear as i will be doing my first bivy hunt this year. I used to do some backpacking so i have quite a bit of gear, but i was not as weight/size conscience as i am now. I currently have a Alps Clearwater 20deg bag coming in at 57oz, Therarest prolite 4 at 25oz. I was using a GI bivy (32oz) and 6x8 blue tarp(11oz). All of this is putting me in at 125oz or 7.8lbs. looking to try and drop this down quite a bit.

Looking for cost effective recommendation to lighten up my sleeping system. I am thinking a 20deg bag, lighter pad and a tent/tarp setup.

looking at new bags, most i see are in the upper 40oz weight wise and does not seem like there compressed size is to different that what i am currently running. current my bag compress to 8x12. Are there any light weigh sub $200 bags?

Looking at the Therarest Neo Air pad. would cut weight of pad in half.

Looking for suggestions on a tent. either a solo setup or something that will be comfortable to to large 250lb+ men. I do carry trekking pole and can use them for a shelter of needed. Prefer something with a tub floor but not a deal breaker.

Is it possible to put together a light weight(<5lb) sleep system for $400-500?

AdamW

WKR
Is it possible to put together a light weight(<5lb) sleep system for $400-500?

Bearpaw La Garita 3 shelter, 20 oz $170.

Product La Garita Tent Page

What are you using the blue tarp for? Ground sheet? Ditch that and get a piece of tyvek and save some weight there. 7 oz or less? $15

Klymit Static V Lite Insulated with an R-Value of 4.4. 20 oz STP has them on sale for $50.

Klymit Insulated Static V Lite Sleeping Pad - Prior Year Model - Save 48%

Sleeping bag is tougher. Enlightened Equipment quilt (I'm currently testing one) around $200. I'd like to hear some reports on these bags as well just out of my own curiosity.

Amazon.com : Hyke & Byke Down Sleeping Bag - Eolus 800 Fill Power 0 Degree F Bag for Backpacking (0 Degree - Blue/Lime Green, Long) : Sports & Outdoors

A bathtub floor is a big weight vs cost item and makes it increasingly harder.

Isn't chasing the rabbit fun? Just some ideas.

Hunter Sargent

Lil-Rokslider
Mountainsmith Mountain Shelter LT - $100 (can be had for as low as $70)
Hyke & Bike Eulos 15* down sleeping bag - $150
Thermarest NeoAir xLite - $130

Total - $380 for a sleep setup that weighs less than 6 lbs

Felix40

WKR
It just depends on how much weight you want to save. Ill tell you what I have been using for a couple years that would cut your weight considerably.

Enlightened equipment revelation 20 degree = 21oz
Exped synmat hl =13oz

My pad and bag weigh less than your bag by itself. It can be a trade off but I sleep like a baby in this setup. I bought the quilt used for $200 and the pad was $150. That leaves a decent amount of money for your shelter.
I dont have advice on the shelter but I know you can get way lighter than what you are using.

You could easily get your entire sleep system down to less than 3 lbs., but it will cost you. If you’re looking to keep it on the cheap, and you have a little time, buying used can be a good option. Are you dead set on a bag or are you open to trying a quilt? Can you get by and get a good nights sleep using a short pad instead of a full length one? UL bivy’s aren’t too expensive and you can pick up new ones that weigh 6 oz. for around $85. The tarps, as stated above, are good/cheaper options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SCOGS

Lil-Rokslider
If you want a tent with a floor you can get a six moon designs lunar solo for $225 and only weighs 24 ounces. Tarptent has lots of good options as well. Pick up a used enlightened equipment quilt or check massdrop, they have the Revelation quilts right now. About 22 ounces if I remember right. And there are lots of good insulated pads around 20 ounces, Klymit will be the cheapest. That's under 70 ounces and less than $600.

Your heaviest item is your sleeping bag at 57 oz. and could really be cut down if you are open to using a quilt. I have been using an EE revelation 20 deg quilt for 3 years now and love it. At 21 oz. and around $250 it would cut over 2 lb out of your system alone. As others have said, they show up on massdrop or used if you want to save some money.

Your sleeping pad is heavy as well at 25 oz. The thermarest NeoAir X-Lite is a great pad at 12 oz. They are $160 normally but go on sale a few times a year and can be found used as well.

Tarptent has a few great tents if you are set on a bathtub floor. I used the double rainbow for a couple years and it worked great. It will offer more room and comfort than your bivy and tarp, but won't save much weight at 40 oz. I switched to a floorless shelter for the last year, and I would highly recommend considering it if you are already carrying trekking poles. There are plenty of single person tarp options in the sub $200 range and weighing no more than a pound.

EE revelation 20 deg -- 21 oz
Thermarest X-Lite reg -- 12 oz
Single tarp w/ pegs -- 16 oz

Total -- 49 oz / 3 lb 1 oz

If you shop around and wait for deals, you could get all 3 items for sub $500. If you really want a floor, you could toss in a Tyvek ground sheet and still be around 3.5 lbs all in.