Sleep system sliding in the night.

Isaac_SBO

FNG
Doing some testing of my sleep system for the fall over the past few weeks while trout fishing and turkey in PA and have run into some issues. The gear includes:
Luxe hexapeak floor less shelter
Stone glacier Chillkoot
Klymit insulated sleeping pad
Generic nylon ground sheet.

I’m a stomach sleeper mostly and seem to roll around in the night a fair bit and I’m having a heck of a time keeping my sleep system in one place. I’ll wake up half off the pad and the pad always seems to be sliding off the ground sheet. Is there a way around this? Thinking maybe a bit of Velcro to go between the pad and ground sheet to keep it from sliding? Help a newbie out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John pettimore

Lil-Rokslider
Thinned silicone. Run some strips one way, say horizontally, on your ground sheet and vertically on the bottom of your pad. Or, get a bivy to keep everything together.

Marble

WKR
I place my pad against the wall of my tent and my pack along my other side behind me.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
Silicone dots or strips, or pieces of shelf liner, or drawer liner works also. I put everything in a bivy and it solves that issue too.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
Isaac_SBO

Isaac_SBO

FNG
Thanks for the replies, I didn’t think about a bivy to keep everything together. May have to look into that.

Poser

WKR
Stomach sleeper + tosser & Turner here. In fact, I had to get out of bed at 2 am last night and remake the bed because I was so twisted up I couldn’t find the sheet.

Switching to a quilt was a game changer for me since I can roll around without getting twisted up. I also use a bivy sack, often don’t even zip it up at all, but it’s still enough to keep me all contained.

OP
Isaac_SBO

Isaac_SBO

FNG
After some research I may give a tyvek ground sheet a whirl with a foot box sewed into it. Seems like if I can get my feet to stay lined up I can keep everything in order.

gexpro

WKR
I personally use DCF ground sheet and do not typically have this issue, if i am on a slight down hill slope i put my pack at the end of my feet.

You might also want to look into Seek outside ground sheets. very similar to tyvek; but quitter and a bit more grippy. At 12$ to give it a look; might be your ticket.

Vandy321

WKR
Thanks for the replies, I didn’t think about a bivy to keep everything together. May have to look into that.

I had a bivy...unless it is the perfect fit, that pad will slide inside the bivy just as it did on the floor of your tent. The bivy itself will slide on the tent floor was well.

Another vote for silicone, I just put a tone of 1" straps all over the top and bottom of pad...

Last edited:

Cdroot89

Lil-Rokslider
Since it is a floorless shelter you could put stakes in the uphill side and make a big slip knot with Para cord that goes around your pad to anchor it. This is what I did before I bought a borah bivey.

tttoadman

WKR
I like the bathtub floors. I am usually up against the pole on side and I put my boots on the other side of me. Always nice and tidy. The bathtub will keep you from creeping all over the place and getting your bag on the tent wall.

kevf

FNG
Hi, using liquid silicone stripes is indeed a good way to solve that issue. Use the type that is found to seal tent seams or waders as that type tends to last very long and remains flexible.

Good luck.