Sleep System

coOverwatch

Lil-Rokslider
Okay, after going on the Winter Backpacking trip with Aron and others from the forum I found that my sleeping system needs a little work.

Normally I stuff my 20* Featherlite into my quilted canvas bedroll and all is good. Now that I am going to do more backpacking and leaving the horses at home I need something that is a little lighter and warmer. I am a P*** when it comes to being cold. I know this and can accept it. :p

I have ordered 2 Bugaboo II Bivy’s and I am stuck on the bags.( I have to outfit the wife as well )
I don’t mind a little extra weight if it means I will not be chilled at night.

So far I have come up with the following options:
1. Kifaru 0* SlikBag (more expensive)
2. Wiggy’s FTRSS (20* and 35* over bag)
3. MSS (military sleep system)
4. Sew my own using Climashield APX and Pertex Quantum inner/outershell. Either bag or quilt.

Has anyone had any experience / knowledge of Wiggy’s brand?
What is everyone else using?

Wiggy bags are very warm but HOLY HUGE!! They are not ment for backpacking that is for sure. Want a SUPER option at an incredible price? Enlightened Equipment Revelation X Quilt are awesome and so are the prices.

OP
C

coOverwatch

Lil-Rokslider
if i remember right the 20*slick bag and 20* Wiggy are both coming in about 3.5 / 4 lbs. Am I mistaken that people using a Slick bag are packing it in? I have never used a Quilt and a little shy on forking out the cash for one and then finding out that it will not work for me.

I followed the Quilt vs Sleeping bag thread but not sure what the results were.

OP
C

coOverwatch

Lil-Rokslider
i am thinking down between 20* to 0*. i heard if you were a cold sleeper to go with a lower rating. Wiggy has a sale on their 20* base bag and 35* over bag. both together will get you down to 0*. figured if i get both then i am covered for both winter and summer for less than a 20* slick bag. Even though i am watching the price this is an area i will not scrimp on.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I actually think a good 0 degree down bag would work great for you. If you don't mind a little extra weight and bulk, even the 550 down bags are pretty warm, IME. I have a ten year old Kelty Arete 0Deg. that i have had well below zero. Pretty toasty.

Of course more money gets you a higher fill rate, lower weights, and more compressibility.

OP
C

coOverwatch

Lil-Rokslider
What about the synthetics? Price per temp rating seems the synthetics are the way to go. Also less of a maintenance issue.
Also, does the Bivy really give you any additional insulation? My canvas bed roll has some quilting that gives a little more insulation, however I have not “slept” among the stars in it. Always had the wall tent along.

armyjoe

Super Moderator
I'd look at a 0 degree bag for sure if your a cold sleeper. The Slick is really nice and at the temps we were at on the winter trip you would have been good to go.

The bivy will give u about a 5 degree bump in your bag temp but don't always plan on that bump. I'd get the bag based off of what temp I'm looking for and not what the back + bivy temp might be.

armyjoe

Super Moderator
We hit low teens close to 10. I got up to pee about 3 am and my thermostat in my truck showed 12 degrees

Gman

WKR
I use a 0 deg slick in a bugaboo bivy and am often warm when winter camping - which is good! If sledding in I also bring a woobie to be safe but rarely need it.

if i remember right the 20*slick bag and 20* Wiggy are both coming in about 3.5 / 4 lbs. Am I mistaken that people using a Slick bag are packing it in? I have never used a Quilt and a little shy on forking out the cash for one and then finding out that it will not work for me.

I followed the Quilt vs Sleeping bag thread but not sure what the results were.

the 20* slick is alot closer to 2lbs (cant remember exactly) maybe 2lb1oz for reg?
if you plan to be camped below freezing, down is the way to go as moisture is far less issue than when its 30 and above.
lighter, packs smaller, fill rate will conform to budget..
since i got a high R value pad ive been using my bag like a quilt as i stay very warm from the bottom and throw a leg out to "vent"

OP
C

coOverwatch

Lil-Rokslider
Called Kifaru this morning. The 0* slick bag is right round 2lbs with a 6 week wait.
Wiggy’s 0* bag is 5.5(ish)lbs with no wait. All made in America and currently being used by the military in Afghanistan.

So the big question is the price difference worth a 2 extra LBs and a 6 week wait. (only I can answer that one)

Any military guys out there that can provide any insight on the Wiggy’s bag.

Lawnboi

WKR
You can also create a system with the kifaru. My plan is to get a 20* slick bag instead of a 0* for use in cold weather. When its cold out ill add my woobie to it. Making it approximately a 3lb bag. When its warmer ill leave the woobie out. When its really warm ill just use the woobie. When its really cold I can also use the woobie to wrap around me when glassing and around camp. That way your spending your money on something that has multiple uses rather than just one.

Kifaru makes good soft goods

5.5lbs is way way too much for a 0deg bag, for me atleast

littlebuf

Banned
5 pounds! seriously look into some of these type options. heres a link. I bought a 20* that should be at my house today (ordered a little less than three weeks ago) but theres lots of other makers out there. for the money though this company is a pretty good value, youll find that out yourself if you start shopping these

http://www.enlightenedequipment.com/product/revelationx-0-2/

Called Kifaru this morning. The 0* slick bag is right round 2lbs with a 6 week wait.
Wiggy’s 0* bag is 5.5(ish)lbs with no wait. All made in America and currently being used by the military in Afghanistan.

So the big question is the price difference worth a 2 extra LBs and a 6 week wait. (only I can answer that one)

Any military guys out there that can provide any insight on the Wiggy’s bag.
good lord, 5.5 lbs! only thing i pack that weighs that much IS my pack! and my rifle...

What is a great... Not GOOD, but GREAT overall weight for an entire sleep system for average fall weather. I am talking lows no lower than 20 degrees, give or take. I know this is quite subjective, but what would most of you consider a great overall weight.

Sleeping Bag
Tent/Tarp
Pad
Add Bivy for those that take one with